Supertramp "Crime of the Century" - mastering comparison & discussion *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucidae, May 21, 2015.

1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD Thread Starter

Part of the reason why I started this thread is to speculate on the distortion you're hearing in the remaster. I was hoping others might chime in.

JulesRules likes this.
  2. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

Giulio Cesare Ricci, the owner, recording engineer and mastering engineer of Fonè Records rightly said that the purpose of an album (on CD or LP format) is to be able to reproduce as faithfully as possible the emotions and the sensations of a live-set.
    Well: among all versions that I could hear into this thread, the aim has been achieved (in my opinion) by MFSL compared to all the other editions: unfortunately, most of the records sound flat, all the instruments and the voice being "on the same line"; to be able to give a three-dimensional sound, it is pretty rare thing.

PH416156 likes this.
  3. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

That may well be true. However, I didn't detect the thrill and sensation of a live set or three dimensional sound in the MFSL sample or in any of the others for that matter. They all sounded like run of the mill studio recordings to me. As far as I'm concerned, the MFSL sample was the only one where I heard sibilant noise in the high end. Of course, that may be the sample and not the CD. I haven't heard the MFSL CD so I can't comment on it. My comments were directed at the sample.

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I could be wrong, but I believe the 1st UK pressing is A5/B6. I've got 2 of these...both with laminated covers. Did later pressings still have the laminated covers?

5. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

I'm sure you're right; I guess the joke's on me, so to speak! :o
    Anyway, at least I managed to be correct in my answer, despite my failure to recognize the facetious nature of the question!:cool:

Sordel likes this.
  6. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

There is also the Blu-Ray audio. How does that one rate?

7. Stefano G.

I'm absolutely sure that A5//B5 copies exist, but I don't know when the UK batches stopped having lamination.

8. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I wish I didn't listen to these samples. :help:

I own the MFSL and it is the best sounding of the CD's. But its also quite cold and very analytical. The original A&M CD doesn't really improve any of that, and the remaster tries really hard, but errs on the boomy (and compressed) side. But that LP, it sounds so awesome :bigeek:. It almost makes me go back to vinyl. :realmad:

Chemguy, Dan Steele and Lucidae like this.
  9. Lucidae

I share your opinion of the MFSL CD. At least on my system I don't find the remaster to be too bass heavy or loud. It's a bit closer to the vinyl.

10. Stefano G.

What edition? The UK one?

11. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

The one that Lucidae posted, the Speakers Corner release. I was checking out the samples he posted.

12. Stefano G.

Ah, it's OK.
    As for me, the best vinyl version is the 40th Anniversary, cut by Ray Staff (if I remember well); but I have never listened to the MSFL edition on vinyl format.
    Anyway, the Speakers Corner edition is really very good.

13. Stefano G.

I just realized that both the CD Deluxe Edition and the LP 40th Anniversary Editions were mastered in 2014 by the same mastering engineer: Ray Staff; by listening to them, it would seem that we're talking about two completely different "philosophies of mastering": compressed and poorly detailed the CD edition, much more dynamics, detailed and "real" the 40th Anniversary LP reissue.
    At this point, it would be interesting to know what logic followed (or he was forced to follow) Mr Staff.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    LordThanos1969 likes this.
  14. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

I happen to listen to the bluray when reading this. I find this sounding fantastic and super dynamic. The EQ is spot on according to my preferences. The base is deep and distinct, just as i want it.

Hard to imagine there is a better version of this record out there.

15. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

I have a french release with the UK mastering. It has A5 and B5 matrix endings.

16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

The MFSL vinyl is no slouch either.

Chemguy, klownschool and Jrr like this.
  17. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

All versions of the album except the MFSL have (analogue) compression, if I recall correctly. So that is probably the reason why people say the MFSL is superior.

18. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

Exactly.
    That is why the MFSL sounds much better. Ken Scott explained it on this forum a few years ago.

JulesRules likes this.
  19. Lucidae

The story I always heard was that Ken Scott wasn't happy with any digital version, and that he considers the original vinyl to be the best way to hear it.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

This is my favorite album, at least for when I just want to hear something recorded well, so I know quite a bit about it. I have every version under the sun except for the SC vinyl. My favorite, by a long mile, is the MFSL vinyl. The 40th Anniversary on vinyl is well regarded around here, and I see why, but it sounds a bit closed in to me compared to the MFSL, and not quite as dynamic, at least on my system. I use a Technics 1210 MKII with an Audio Technica AT150. I have not heard the SC but all I read about in other threads is how amazing it sounds. In a thread comparing SC and MFSL vinyl, it seemed evenly divided. I have thousands of records (and CDs) and if I were going to really show off what my rig could do, that is THE vinyl I would spin.

gauiuoi, klownschool, Chemguy and 2 others like this.
  21. Lucidae

There is a sample of the SC in the first post, not the same as the real thing though.

22. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

I have the original A&M and the Deluxe on CD. I prefer the Deluxe, and I usually hate anything remastered. I hope to hear the MFSL, I really need a nailed down go-to version of this title. Is it really the best?

23. Lucidae

Have a listen to the sample I posted. Many members here love the MoFi, personally I never cared for it much. I like the Deluxe because it's a bit warmer, even if it is louder.

24. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

I just checked them out. I gotta side with the majority here, I like the MFSL.

25. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

He probably does. He was who decided to use analog compression at the time.

jbgoode and JulesRules like this.