Supertramp "Crime of the Century" - mastering comparison & discussion *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucidae, May 21, 2015.

1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Think you'll have trouble linking that comment, as I don't believe it happened.

However, there is Ken Scott's quote from Page 4 of this thread (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...tury-even-in-the-quietest-moments-etc.121128/), talking about Crime Of The Century:

"IMHO, if one is going for sound quality the only version is the Brit first vinyl pressing. Beautifully mastered by Ray Staff. Incredibly pressed by the CBS Classical division and the only one I was a part of. From what I've heard since, everything has gone down hill from there."

TLMusic, Lucidae and Redhat220 like this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Guess you have to first decide if you have to go digital or vinyl. For vinyl, MFSL or Speakers Corner. Seems from what I have read the MFSL CD is the digital route to go. I just don't care for digital music. Guess I have listened to vinyl for so long I just can't stay with CD. I put my turntable away for 15 years, got it back out 11 years ago and just dropped my jaw at how much better vinyl sounded...could actually crank it up again and have FUN listening to music. I have to say, that album on CD just doesn't cut it for me. I love my MFSL vinyl! I finally found my other holly grail on ebay a couoke years ago. Breakfast In America on MFSL and though that recording isn't in the same league as Crime, it is still a fun listen on that copy, and not as serious of an album, though fantastic songs as everyone here knows. It is astounding how different their four albums were starting with Crime. Didn't think Crisis was all that good, then they hit with Quietest Moments, another classic imo, and then Breakfast...which I think would have to be on any top ten list of best pop albums from that era.

Old Rusty likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I would love to believe the posters comment, especially since I love this album, and the MFSL vinyl, but because I love the album I read Ken's book and yup, that is exactly what he said. And why I keep forgetting to find a Brit copy I will never know, but I have spent so much money on this album in my lifetime I think the MFSL will have to be the end of the line for me. I can't imagine all the fun of trying to locate a good, quiet clean Brit copy from the good 'ol USA. I spent a lot of time and $$ trying to get a good UK copy of Yellow Brick Road as our host said it was the best copy to go for, and all of them were just too worn, though I could tell between the pops and clicks that Steve was likely right. The irony is I finally found a MFSL vinyl copy last year for the low low price of $85 (actually, that is rather cheap) and it is my go to copy for now.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have to agree...you really have to sit in front of a nice system, or at least one you are familiar with, and just enjoy your own shootout. Of course, first you have to obtain all the elements, and if you are comparing vinyl and digital that is even more of a challenge. It is really the only way to make your own decision, though I think the consensus here has helped narrow it down a bunch, which is the great thing about hanging out on the Forum! There is a sealed MFSL copy on ebay right now, by the way! The nice thing is most used MFSL I have ever bought has been in real nice shape, and there are so many copies of that album around that it isn't real expensive.

5. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

...and the 40th Anniversary LP mastered by Staff? do we throw it in the trash?

The idea that I have done so far:
    • Blu-Ray edition and MFSL CD are dedicated to audiophiles
    • 40th Anniversary LP, Speakers Corner LP and MFSL LP are dedicated to equipped with good ears vinyl lovers
    • A&M CD is dedicated to car radio (car CD...)
    • CD Deluxe edition is dedicated to earbuds
    But I never heard the first A5//B5 UK pressing (I now have the 40th Anniversary LP edition)...

6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I'd never say that the Deluxe is dedicated to earbuds, there's too much dynamics for earbud-listening imo. The 2002 remaster (which has, not surprisingly, not been mentioned in this thread:thumbsdow) is probably most suited to earbuds.

7. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Lots of hyperbole on this thread (as usual). I haven't heard the MFSL CD but the 40th anniversary CD sounds fantastic and is certainly NOT "dedicated to earbuds". There's tons of dynamics on that CD and it sounds much warmer and detailed then the original A+M CD (not to mention the inferior earlier remasters). For a remaster not coming from a dedicated audiophile lable this is as good as it gets.
    The MFSL CD has been heavily criticized on earlier threads so it's a bit surprising that it's getting so many positive comments here.

JulesRules likes this.
  8. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

But it's really not offensive to say that an edition is "dedicated to earbuds": a lot of CDs have a compression "right" for earbuds: it's only a market strategy.
    Anyway, I didn't listen to the whole CD Deluxe edition: I only listened to the file kindly shared by @Lucidae: so I can say that this file have the "right" compression for earbuds.

9. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

I don´t think I have explained myself correctly. Ken Scott said he prefered the vinyl, right.
    What I can´t remember is if he had the MFSL edition. And even if he did, that´s only his opinion.
    If you want a copy without compression (analog as in the original LP or digital as in all remasters) the MFSL is the way to go.

10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The LP cuts I've heard have amazing dynamics.

Even if the MFSL CD has a touch more dynamics, that horrible top end is a deal breaker for me.

11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I guess because it's been released a lot of different ways, Crime of the Century seems to be one of those albums
    that a lot of people have compared different copies. I wonder how many people have taken the same copy and compared
    it on different stereos?

When i was looking for a new turntable, i used the 40th anniversary copy on a number of demos,
    approximately 7 or 8. It was an interesting experience, because if i had only heard it on a couple in particular,
    I would have said it was a bit 'boring' sounding in places. Then on a few other systems, it blew me away.
    Mostly, this experience has led to be me quite a bit more skeptical about reading reviews.

sjaca likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I gave my opinion on it a few posts up. I don't really care for it...sounds more closed in and a tad less dynamic. Note that I am so use to the MFSL that perhaps my opinion could be a bit clouded if the 40th is closer to the "right" sound, but without a doubt the MFSL is more fun to listen to. I played the 40th once, and will only take it out now to admire the beautiful packaging and enclosed book. That doesn't mean others shouldn't immensely enjoy it!

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I stand corrected.

Some quick research shows the A5/B6 pressings seem to be as common or more common than the A5/B5 pressings. And I don't recall seeing an A6 cut. I wonder if the B6 metal was cut at the same time as the B5 metal -- or if perhaps there was a problem with the B5 metal or it got damaged and replaced?

FWIW, the A5 and B6 sound like they are cut from the same cloth...

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You spent $85 on the MFSL vinyl?? And that's a low, low price?

My advice? Sell it for a tidy profit and buy yourself an early UK pressing.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I did! I bought many...the ones you cited, the yellow copy, the Super Disk (that was awful), MFSL, can't recall all the others. Anyway, I guess the peoole in the UK loved the album too because all the copies I bought were very worn and noisy, which isn't good for side one of that album to say the least. At least the MFSL was dead quiet, and I for do like their mastering.

16. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

For the record Ken Scott said the 40th is best digital CD copy of the album. He was asked directly on Facebook. He mixed the live CD.

17. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

FWIW - Trying to post a screenshot of the waveform from 40th Anniversary of "School" and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it.

18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

So is there any consensus on the best digital version? Blu-ray audio, 40th anniversary (the MFSL is harder to come by and much more money).

19. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

IMO the BD is better than the 40th CD and personally I prefer the 40th CD to the MSFL CD - it has more detail but its maybe not quite as warm as the MSFL. I think it comes down to personal preference but the BD is something else altogether.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  20. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Oh, come on.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Can someone clarify something for me please?
    I have EVEN IN THE QUIETEST MOMENTS which I bought maybe 6 years ago and it says "the Supertramp Remasters "

I have not seen any other title apart from Crisis...
    Are you guys n gals talking about Crime as one of this series?
    Quietest Moments in this cd mastering does it for me so I would love to hear Crime too...

22. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD Thread Starter

There was a remastered CD of "Crime" back in 2002. Since it had a bunch of digital compression, I didn't hang onto it.

JulesRules likes this.
  23. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

Don't you think this album is too dynamic? I can't believe I'm saying this, but you have to constantly adjust the volume from quiet to loud parts,
    IMO the latest High Res is the go version..

24. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Do you know if it is readily available ?

25. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

My buddy has the UHQR Crime (It's probably the same mastering as the Mofi ???? but better vinyl in theory) - I can't remember but I think that one trumps all.. but you pays your money for that one.

iloveguitars likes this.