Supertramp Crime of The Century Sound Quality Question- Help! 2002 vs. 2014 Editions*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scottb, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member Thread Starter

It won't work and just says it is not available in my country.

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Ouch; sorry. It was the complete show.

Scottb likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Download the free browser extension Hola and choose USA as the country. You should then be able to watch this video.

An alternative is to download the video by navigating to this page YouTube Converter & Downloader - Convert to MP3, MP4, AVI

You select MP4 and paste the link of the video. Tada! Sucks you can't stream it without using one of those two methods but there are options...

PH416156 likes this.
  4. Scottb

Got it thanks!!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. Scottb

My PC has problems ripping CD's so I can't report DR numbers. However I listened to the entire CD and it sounds really good. It's not too loud and if it was remastered after 1990 there is no information in the booklet about that. A few tracks are a bit too bright in spots but other then that I'm very happy with it especially costing $6.00 for a brand new CD.

PH416156 likes this.
  6. Scottb

This is getting confusing as the post before yours the member says he has the US and Canadian version and they sound the same and you said that you have both and that the Canadian is much better. What exactly is better about the Canadian pressing. This is so confusing as I wish all old 80's version were the same as it would be a lot easier!!

7. Scottb

MY copy is the US one with a clear faced disc. It doesn't say remastered anywhere. Where does it say remastered on your second copy and which one sounds better the newer one or the old one?

8. Scottb

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. Scottb

Does your copy have a shorter version of 'Goodbye Stranger' and 'CanonBall'? I read that earlier releases of this disc had shorter versions of those tracks.

10. Scottb

Does the Canadian pressing have shortened versions of 'Goodbye Stranger' and 'Cannonball'?

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I think you mean 70s versions of course. All I'm saying is that my Canadian is really terrific in comparison to the US. I have compared about three Canadians to three US copies over the years and I think that the Canadian cutters just got a hold of a better tape dub from the UK to make the record from.

The Canadian audiophile series issue of this album is really the plum. I think it is the best out there.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. Scottb

My mistake as I thought you were referring to the CD but you are referring to the LP's right?

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Yep...those wonderful lps!

Scottb likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

This is the DR report on the CD I have (Canadian version).

DR12 -2.00 dB -18.21 dB 5:35 ?-01-School
    DR14 -0.05 dB -16.92 dB 5:48 ?-02-Goodbye Stranger
    DR13 -0.08 dB -16.12 dB 4:10 ?-03-The Logical Song
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.54 dB 4:33 ?-04-Bloody Well Right
    DR13 -0.44 dB -16.17 dB 2:41 ?-05-Breakfast In America
    DR12 0.00 dB -16.06 dB 7:18 ?-06-Rudy
    DR13 -0.32 dB -17.19 dB 5:03 ?-07-Take The Long Way Home
    DR12 0.00 dB -16.25 dB 5:32 ?-08-Crime Of The Century
    DR12 0.00 dB -16.20 dB 3:31 ?-09-Dreamer
    DR13 -0.28 dB -16.05 dB 5:07 ?-10-Ain't Nobody But Me
    DR13 -0.02 dB -15.80 dB 6:48 ?-11-Hide In Your Shell
    DR14 0.00 dB -17.07 dB 6:17 ?-12-From Now On
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.61 dB 4:09 ?-13-Give A Little Bit
    DR15 0.00 dB -16.38 dB 4:23 ?-14-It's Raining Again
    DR15 0.00 dB -16.53 dB 7:37 ?-15-Cannonball

The album has a DR of 13 using the very latest version of foobar2000 and the DR plugin.

To answer your other question, both those songs are there in their full-length versions. I know these songs quite well and don't believe any of them have been shortened on this compilation.

15. Scottb

Wow the DR numbers are fantastic and much better then the US disc I have which doesn't say it's remastered but I think it was as the DR numbers aren't as good as your version. Unless the US release just did a level shift but didn't do any further EQing.

Those are the full length versions. On my US comp the Breakfast tracks don't sound bright at all. However some of the other tracks do-particulary 'Hide in Your Shell' which gets pretty bright when the drums kick in. Can you tell me if your copy gets bright on that track once the drums kick in? There seems to be so many variations on this comp. Do you know what year your CD came out?

Many thanks as I appreciate it.

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

My CD has the full length versions.

Scottb likes this.
  17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm pretty sure Chemguy was referring to vinyl and I was talking cd's. I have a Japan for US and a Canadian. Both sound excellent. I'm not sure if it's the same mastering, but they sound the same to my ears.

Scottb likes this.
  18. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

FYI..........

I have a Japanese SHM CD of this which sounds very good.

Pretty sure they used a 1990 release.

The Very Best Of Supertramp [SHM-CD] Supertramp CD Album

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Supertramp / The Very Best of Supertramp / Japan SHM CD
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -2.00 dB -18.21 dB 5:35 1-School
    DR14 -0.05 dB -16.92 dB 5:48 2-Goodbye Stranger
    DR13 -0.08 dB -16.12 dB 4:10 3-The Logical Song
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.54 dB 4:33 4-Bloody Well Right
    DR13 -0.44 dB -16.17 dB 2:41 5-Breakfast in America
    DR12 0.00 dB -16.06 dB 7:18 6-Rudy
    DR13 -0.32 dB -17.20 dB 5:03 7-Take the Long Way Home
    DR12 0.00 dB -16.25 dB 5:32 8-Crime of the Century
    DR12 0.00 dB -16.20 dB 3:31 9-Dreamer
    DR13 -0.28 dB -16.05 dB 5:07 10-Ain't Nobody But Me
    DR13 -0.02 dB -15.80 dB 6:48 11-Hide in Your Shell
    DR14 0.00 dB -17.07 dB 6:17 12-From Now On
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.61 dB 4:09 13-Give a Little Bit
    DR14 0.00 dB -16.38 dB 4:23 14-It's Raining Again
    DR15 0.00 dB -16.53 dB 7:38 15-Cannonball

Number of tracks: 15
    Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1411 kbps
    Codec: PCM
    ==============================================

19. Scottb

Thanks. The DR numbers look the same as the disc Strat-Mangler has except that on your CD It's Raining Again is DR14 and on Strat-Mangler's CD it's DR 15. Can you do me a favor and tell me if when the drums come in on 'Hide Your Shell' if the sound is on the bright side? I found that at certain points in that song I had to turn down the treble quite a bit?

Many Thanks

Scott

20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

All I can tell you is that on my system "Hide in Your Shell" from my "Very Best Of" SHM CD sounded fine.
    There may have been a little forwardness at times but nothing at a level that made me want to turn the treble down.

IMHO all the SHM CD's I bought seem to have a slightly elevated top end which I assume is either a deliberate ploy or maybe even due the actual SHM process??.........but they sound good to me so.

Actually this title was my very first "SHM CD" experiment as I already had a regular version I wanted to compare with.
    I never checked that they were the exact same masterings at the time (wasn't smart enough to realise I should of yet!!!)
    Anyway they looked the same..........LOL
    FWIW.........preferred the sonics of the SHM CD...........but now realise that there can still be bad sounding stuff in ANY format/tech!!!!!

Anyway.........I also have this Track on MFSL CoTC which definitely has more bass..............
    And the 40th Anniversary CoTC 24/192 download from HD Tracks which I am also happy with.

Do you have any excessive treble issues with other recordings?
    If so then it's possible that your room/system itself is the cause of any perceived brightness..........which may have a simple fix.

Hope this helped.:)

21. Scottb

Thanks for all the info as I greatly appreciate it. No I don't have a problem with excessive treble at all. In fact my speakers (B&W) are very warm sounding. I'm sure that the Very Best of CD I have is the remastered version as it's louder then a disc with a DR of 13. It is kind of strange that on the US edition nowhere is it mentioned that it's remastered. The only thing it says is on the side of the rear insert(it's in a clear tray jewel case) is 'Digitally Mastered' but I thought that the older version said that as well? Do either of your copies say 'Digitally Mastered' on the side of the rear insert? I have heard that the MFSL COTC sounds great. Do you by any chance have the 2002 remaster of COTC? That one has pretty bad DR numbers (DR 9) but I would be curious if that remaster is on the bright side.

I may have to get the SHM CD you have. I really only bought this comp to get the COTC tracks. However a lot of people on the forum said the old standard A&M CD sounds very good so I have one from Ebay on it's way to me. Do you also have the old 80's CD of COTC? What also is weird is that on my Very Best of some of the COTC tracks are too bright however the tracks from Breakfast are not bright at all. Discogs lists the remaster with a release date of the end of 2001. It's still strange why they didn't even put a sticker on the front of the jewel case indicating it was remastered.

So for a 1990 compilation how would you rate the sound on Very Best of? I have found that some early comps don't sound that great and many times question what source was used for the CD.

Thanks again,

Scott

22. Scottb

What about this one from Japan

Analyzed: Supertramp / The Very Best of Supertramp / Japan SHM CD

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -2.00 dB -18.21 dB 5:35 1-School
    DR14 -0.05 dB -16.92 dB 5:48 2-Goodbye Stranger
    DR13 -0.08 dB -16.12 dB 4:10 3-The Logical Song
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.54 dB 4:33 4-Bloody Well Right
    DR13 -0.44 dB -16.17 dB 2:41 5-Breakfast in America
    DR12 0.00 dB -16.06 dB 7:18 6-Rudy
    DR13 -0.32 dB -17.20 dB 5:03 7-Take the Long Way Home
    DR12 0.00 dB -16.25 dB 5:32 8-Crime of the Century
    DR12 0.00 dB -16.20 dB 3:31 9-Dreamer
    DR13 -0.28 dB -16.05 dB 5:07 10-Ain't Nobody But Me
    DR13 -0.02 dB -15.80 dB 6:48 11-Hide in Your Shell
    DR14 0.00 dB -17.07 dB 6:17 12-From Now On
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.61 dB 4:09 13-Give a Little Bit
    DR14 0.00 dB -16.38 dB 4:23 14-It's Raining Again
    DR15 0.00 dB -16.53 dB 7:38 15-Cannonball

Number of tracks: 15
    Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1411 kbps
    Codec: PCM

23. Strat-Mangler

With respect Scott, I think you're falling into a pattern of over analyzing this topic.

All I can tell you is that my copy sounds fine but Supertramp sounds best on vinyl, in my experience. If you'd rather get the CD, this is most likely the best sounding compilation you'll find in this format.

You can buy the Canadian version for $3.50 on Discogs. Buy one and take a listen for yourself. I believe I've exhausted my level of interest in discussing the intricacies of every version of this compilation. Good luck to you.

24. Scottb

I don't have a turntable so CD's are the only way for me to go. The reason I bought this compilation (US one that I think is remastered) was just for the Crime of The Century tracks which sound bright to me. There seems to be issues with the 2014 Crime remaster and many people on the forum said the 2002 remaster of Crime sounds terrible.

Sorry but it seems there are a number of variations with this comp and I bought the US one as it was sealed and very cheap. I now have also bought on Ebay the old A&M 80's CD of Crime of The Century since many people say that they like the sound of that one. So I'm not over analyzing this comp and honestly would be very happy if the 80's Crime CD does in fact sound very good as then I can put this to rest. I don't care about the other tracks on the comp and I have 4 different CD versions of Breakfast (80's, Canadian remaster that's different then the US 80's CD, 2002 US remaster and 2010 remaster)

25. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Does the UHQR have the same mastering as the original MFSL lp? Any reason for preferring one over the other?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.