Surround music R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ed Hughes, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

No, the spl unit does not but I do all my adjustments in my server/renderer. In fact, I am probably in the process of eliminating the preamp completely and using a Zektor switch.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

With the stream of bad news we've been seeing lately, I can help but to wonder if that is going to materialize now.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's not bad news, it's crap. Ignore it.

Ed Hughes and formu_la like this.
  4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I think that you misunderstand. I'm not referring to this article. I'm talking about real events which are real blows to this market such as Oppo and Audio Fidelity both calling it quits.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I don't share the Eeyore outlook on life, we gained Dutton-Vocalion, and my Oppo is still working fine. Try to have a good night.

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

OK, so the people who are currently buying physical product are perfectly content to continue buying physical product. But the vast majority of music listeners these days do not have the slightest interest in having any discs, of any sort.

At the same time, there are a huge number of people with surround sound systems (aka "home theaters") who are generally unaware that surround music even exists.

Again, I believe that the only way to save surround music is to:

• Make it easy to try out.
    • Make the delivery instant.
    • Make it cheap.
    Did anyone know that most people wanted to not have a wall of DVDs before NetFlix streaming?

MackKnife and tedhead like this.
  7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The category is only being renamed Best Immersive Sound Album.

fredblue likes this.
  8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Have you ripped the surround track of a SACD? Crazy how much bandwidth it would take to do it right! I doubt there would be much market. Most of the world is fine with Prologic of some sort. :doh:

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Trust me, it will materialize. All we are waiting for now is for Rhino or SHF Member "Steel Woole" to make the announcement of the release date. I would expect the announcement to appear anytime this summer, from right now to Labor Day.

11. I get that some folks love it. I have a very nice surround rig but for whatever reason dont do the surround thing except for with movies. And I buy and listen to lots of music.

I know it’s crazy but just seems like a chore to me.

lonelysea and timind like this.
  12. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Access plays a big part in its very small corner of the audio world. Most titles are either out of print or part of large box sets--in both cases the prices are ridiculously high for most folks... especially when $15 can get you access to a gluttony of audio choices through streaming--and quite a few of those choices are out of print on physical media or are hard to find.

@Chris DeVoe suggested a streaming service. I think this is a great idea! I want to hear SOOOOO many surround mixes that have been created, but if I want to hear Quadrophenia surround, I get to track one down for $60 or so. That is quite a bit of money for somebody who already owns the LP and CD. That is only ONE title! I am a physical media collector and am not white collar or retired from my electrical engineering job who can afford those out of print items. Not when I still want to afford other physical media I already haven't purchased over and over again. Mirage? Tusk? Hell Yeah!!! for $50-100 each. I digress.

All I am saying, I guess, is that if my Apple TV had 5.1 app option, I would gladly sacrifice one of my current subscription services to give it a whirl. If I like the Quadrophenia title, I will buy the physical media. That is how I roll. But putting out a title for two years and then yanking it just pisses me off.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thank you.

I know! I have some collections that are so rare and expensive I can barely afford to continue owning them. Like the Bjork Brick.

Both AppleTV and Roku have HDMI outputs that can connect to any modern receiver and feed 5.1 to the speakers. Audio with fixed visuals wouldn't strain the processors on either even with the most advanced compression formats.

Kristofa likes this.
  14. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I didn’t read the article or even this whole thread but I think I agree: 5.1 surround audio is gimmicky at best. I have countless surround discs and I don’t think I’ve listened to any of them more than twice.
    Two channels forever!

Mazzy likes this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My read: it's part of a broader effort in this country to do away with private property rights. If things keep going this way, none of us will own anything. We'll just pay a monthly fee to various "big brother" service providers who run the world.

Digital-G likes this.
  16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree. When I have the surround, I play it. I feel like I'm cheating myself if I don't. If I really want to hear the stereo mix, I'll go for the LP if I have it.

tootull and JonUrban like this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm listening to a 2-channel recording as I read this thread and I just switched it to DTS Surround in my system because reading all the 5.1 bashing makes me want to do that. :laugh:

Sevoflurane, gd0, tootull and 3 others like this.
  18. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I only listen to Talking Heads in surround . I had the Cube for several years before I got an Oppo player

PhilBiker, dkmonroe and Vaughan like this.
  19. trd

trd Forum Resident

I blame the Deep State

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

I'm the same, Vinny.

What has held me back with surround is I always feel any funds available are better spent improving the stereo side. The cost of bringing my centre and rear channels up to anywhere near the same level of quality as the stereo would be prohibitive. Added to which there's the issue of acquiring a multi-channel source that matches the quality of my streamer and turntable. The result is I prefer to rip the high res stereo mix from DVDA, SACD or Bluray discs and never play music in surround.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  21. ATR

ATR Senior Member

They will have to pry those couple hundred multi channel SACD's and DVD-A's from my cold dead hands. And ears. Don't give up on high resolution multi channel audio. Get in line for the last run of the Oppo 205's!

Linger63 and Ed Hughes like this.
  22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Understandable but, in practice, the surrounds to not really have to be equal in quality to the L/R. It is usually agreed that the center channel should be but the vast majority fail to do this by using a compromised "dedicated" center speaker instead of adding a third main speaker. I understand that this works for them.

Really easy. Just rip the multichannel tracks from those DVD-As, SACDs and BDs and put them on your server/streamer.

23. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Assuming your OPPO 205 must be connected to your Datasat at HDMI level for movies anyway then............what's stopping you??

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  24. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

well that's a relief! :nyah:
    i look forward to the 5.1 of "Appetite For Destruction" being included among the list of nominees in the Best Immersive Sound Album category next time round! :righton:

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  25. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Extended version of The Overload is special.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.