Survivor: Game Changers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

horrible outcome last night, how on god''s green earth is sandra still in this game?

rburly, Kyhl, xdawg and 1 other person like this.
  2. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

And when she comes out with defiant lines like "I can tell you I'm not the one going home tonight" or some such line like that last night at council, everyone should then make sure she does go home that night.

rburly and xdawg like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i know we only see one hour of 72, but there is no way sandra can be that good to everyone while not on camera.

what does she say or do that makes them keep her?

xdawg likes this.
  4. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

They keep her because she keeps people like us all over the net talking about her and the show.

I don't hate her, actually. :laugh:

xdawg likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

oh i do, can't even stand to hear her voice.

she has literally done nothing, seriously nothing, to contribute to either tribe she has been on. she either sits out or stand off to the side and watches, it is a joke, ruining the integrity of the show for me, almost as if they (probst) don't want her gone because of the exact reasons you stated.

Linger63, applebonkerz and xdawg like this.
  6. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

well that was a big ole mess of a tribal. i was happy with the outcome though. never cared for Malcolm. now if they can give Sandra and Varner the boot i'll be really happy.

xdawg likes this.
  7. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I can't wait until Sandra is gone. There is absolutely no way she could possibly win 3 times (watch her prove me wrong!). That inane "I'm still gonna be the boss" comment makes me want her to leave. If only we could see more of what goes on there.

Linger63, xdawg and applebonkerz like this.
  8. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Sandra is the master of the Jedi Mind Melt. I don't think the others, even know she's still there.

xdawg likes this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

meld....sorry.

xdawg likes this.
  10. John54

John54 Senior Member

^ That's the only rational explanation.

However, I find her sass quite entertaining.

xdawg and Jamey K like this.
  11. Jamey K

Yes, thank you. She made me spell it that way.

GlamorProfession and xdawg like this.
  12. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I love Sandra. She's one of my all-time favorites, and love her or hate her, when she gets voted out (hopefully not for a while; I'd love to at least see her make the jury, but best case scenario she wins again), this season will die a quick death. She's single-handedly driving the entertainment value here. I love Varner too, and JT has his moments but it feels like nobody else has any personality. Even people who stood out the first time are non-entities now.

That was absolutely brilliant on her part. Sandra is one of the few players bold enough to make a vague "I have an idol" threat that the others would need to take seriously because she's so unfiltered and cocky. I mean, I know they're building her up for a downfall but I love that for the first time the show is actually respecting the fact that she is a truly excellent player. When she says something, it's always true, even when logically it shouldn't be. (Both times she was a serious candidate for elimination I thought she was a goner.)

But wait, she can't swim as fast as Ozzy and isn't as strong as Brad so she's useless :rolleyes:

13. Jamey K

I like Sandra too, as a viewer. But, if I were playing, I would gone after her the first day.

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

We haven't heard much from Michaela lately. I hope that means we'll be seeing a lot more from her towards the finale.

Kyhl, jmobrien68 and rburly like this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you are correct, totally useless.

tell me one thing you have seen her do this season besides eat.

i'm serious, one thing.

16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

The goat scene was one of the worse segments I've ever seen in Survivor history. It really showed what kind of a person Sandra is not only in the game but outside the game. I know your hungry but these people were not starving and they had chickens on the ground if they were really hungry but for Sandra to say let's kill the mother goat with the mother's baby goat right there beside her just blew my mind. She then started to make people feel she was the queen and why are you not agreeing to kill this mother goat right here so we can eat it? All I could see was this baby goat about to witness her mother being taken away from her right on tv. I thought I was watching the National Geographic gone twisted reaper. This scene made her look very bad as a player and person in general.

On a happy note, tribal was the best ever with all the confusion although voting off Malcolm was a mistake.

17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I believe she brought up eating the baby goat as well. My wife said at the time, if they kill that baby goat, I'm never watching this show again.

18. applebonkerz

:rolleyes:
    You're right, she is useless. I'm waiting to hear the answer to rjp's question above.

Any one of them with half a brain would know she doesn't have a hidden idol--if you thought that was what her cocky comments were supposed to mean. She never does anything, when would she have possibly been able to find an idol? She would have to actually get up and move around and be active to find idols, or clues to them. Instead she just flaps her gums and spouts total nonsense about who needs to be targeted each week. She's never found an idol in her life that I recall. She is zero help in challenges, and rightfully is the one chosen to sit them out when possible. Take the spoils, but do nothing to contribute to getting them. Ozzy should take her out to one of the far away secluded islands and just leave her there for a week or two and see how long she can actually survive on her own. That would be highly entertaining too.

Sandra never deserved to win the first two times, she certainly doesn't deserve a third time. I don't personally see even one redeeming quality about her. Maybe she hypnotizes all her teammates to have them keep her. :laugh:

Linger63 likes this.
  19. anthontherun

Did you miss the second episode, where Varner marveled at her ability to put together a majority alliance in a matter of minutes? Not only that, but she secured her position so nicely that even her target, Tony, knew that voting against her was futile. Survivor is all about social politics, and Sandra is remarkably persuasive. She's a two-time winner who is terrible at challenges yet she always escapes the chopping block. You can dislike her, but you can't call it a fluke. She is either making herself useful enough to other people for them to keep her around, or she's manipulating them into thinking she's useful enough to keep her around. Either way, it's great gameplay.

I don't know if that was her intention or not, or if that's how the other tribe interpreted that comment, but why should they discount it when Tai had found an idol and agreed to use it on the team's behalf? Couldn't it be possible that someone on Sandra's tribe did the same?

I don't see this at all. The Tony vote notwithstanding, Sandra is a pretty unique player in that she is less focused on eliminating others than on self-preservation. She very rarely pushes for someone specific to get out; she just wants to make sure it isn't her. On paper, it's admittedly pretty basic, but it requires her to be extremely adaptable. I don't think there's any other player in Survivor history who can adjust as rapidly as she does.

Not really sure that this is a prerequisite to being a good player, but either way it's wrong. There were no idols in her first season, and she found one in her second, which she played on the final day she could (although she didn't have to).

......and? What is she supposed to do? Do you want her to tell Jeff, "I didn't participate in this challenge; please don't let me partake in the reward. Also, I should be eligible to be voted out even though my tribe won immunity, because I sat out"? Not everyone is a great athlete or puzzle genius. You play with your strengths, and hers clearly are not on the physical spectrum. There have been plenty of players, male and female, young and old, who have been terrible at challenges. Many of them have made up for it in other ways. It takes all types to make a successful Survivor season. If you want everybody to be like Ozzy and Joe and Terry, sure, every challenge is going to be an exciting photo finish but the strategy would be boring as hell. (Sometimes you luck out with a physically dominant player who also has a strong mind for the game, like Colby and Tom Westman in their original seasons. But very few people have it all.)

The other side of it--yeah, she often sits out or barely contributes, but she's also rarely (if ever) the reason for why her tribe loses a challenge.

People always make this sort of argument but it's a complete straw man. Survivor is not and has never been about actual survival. Yeah, the early seasons had a greater emphasis on dealing with the elements but ultimately it's never directly mattered if someone can catch fish or build a shelter. That could certainly be an asset in encouraging people to keep you around, but it's not even close to being the biggest factor.

On the flipside, let's put Ozzy in a situation where he needs to rely on his social skills and strategic thinking to get by. Now that would be highly entertaining to watch.

"Deserving" is a concept that has no place in Survivor to begin with, but the only objective criteria for a winner is that they must A) make it to the finals somehow, and B) secure a plurality of the jury's votes. She did that. Twice. Ergo, she deserved it. Twice.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you, my friend, are simply blind to the truth.

no way around it: sandra diaz-twine is useless, she is like a very prominent person in the world today....all bulls**t, all the time. and she is basically lacking ina any social skills and uses fear and verbal bullying to maintain her status quo.

Linger63 likes this.
  21. anthontherun

Well that was a perfectly reasonable and convincing counterargument.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thanks, i thought so too.

has she even picked up a stick off the ground to add tot he fire yet?

how about getting water for someone besides herself, every time she is at the well she has one water bottle.

clean a fish......

wash a pot.....

anything other than sitting on ass telling everyone else what to do and who to vote for.

if she has done any of the above they have not shown it, not one single time.

23. anthontherun

Lots of assumptions from a week-and-a-half of the game condensed into less than four hours of television. FWIW she's been described by tribemates as a hard worker at camp in interviews. I don't know about you, but I watch Survivor for the entertaining characters and strategy, not to see people pick up sticks off the ground.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i watch the whole sociological aspect of the game, (i teach a sociology class and we watch it every week and out of 49 students in 2 classes not a one is a fan of hers)) and her social skills are horrendous, her work ethic non-existent, and she carries all the traits associated with bullying....which is probably why i ca';t understand how you can like anything about her.

i truly think i can make that statement that if she wins again, i will cease to be a survivor fan, because i never ever believes that the producers manipulate the show, and should she win again, i have to believe that they do.

25. applebonkerz

If they are going to manipulate the game and outcome like that, at least let Ozzy finally win this time. :whistle:

rburly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.