Survivor season 29: San Juan del Sur, Blood vs. Water # 2 (probable spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John54, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John54

John54 Senior Member Thread Starter

Anybody watching?

I liked the two often-bickering Sri Lankan sisters from The Amazing Race (twice) but I didn't think they were very good racers. And now one of them is first casualty in Nicaragua.

Baylor is CUTE!

Tribes comprised of one member from each pair.

Exile Island makes a return, for better or for worse.

John Rocker (!) ex-Atlanta Braves reliever makes an appearance. So far so good.

Did I mention Baylor was cute?

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Watched last night. Baylor is HOT!

Not sure if they'll keep Exile and use it like they did last night. My heart sunk when Probst said Exile last night. It ended not being as bad as the way they used it in the past.

I figure if Rocker starts shooting off his mout he'll be shot out of there like a rocket. Only one guy on to him so far... right?

Yes, Baylor is HOT! :)

rontoon likes this.
  3. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I've watched every season (except the very first one). I had reservations about this season since we already covered this title but I think this might be a good one to watch. The trailers made it seem like they were bring back some of the original blood vs water contestants so maybe that is why I had a bad feeling about it.

I don't know if it's my tv network or my cable company (comcast) or what but this is the first season watching in dolby digital that the music is overbearing the dialog. I had never noticed this before on prior seasons, it was evident all through the show, the very beginning when Jeff was talking to them on the beach, the music that played in the background was soooo loud that you could hardly even hear Jeff talking, I kept turning up the volume to hear the dialog and the music kept getting louder and louder. It was a fighting match between music and dialog. Did anyone else notice this??

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We watched (well, my wife watched earnestly while I multitasked-with-the-iPad watched). Liked how the older dude sacrificed his eyesight for making fire - hope that doesn't bite him in the butt in the long run!

I notice this on so many shows now, that it's clearly an epidemic that's spreading (Elementary, Dr. Who, etc.)

5. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I'm watching this too. It didn't seem like there was too much drama last night. The father & son from Louisiana both know who John Rocker is, although the father is on the other team. It's hard to pick a favorite right now, but the firefighter from Boston seems to be playing things right so far.

6. rburly

Yeah, I thought he just broke them accidentally at first. Smart move though, I agree.

I didn't really notice the sound difference, but that may be because so many shows do it at the beginning and I'm used to it by now.

7. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

rooting for the old farmer, glad the chick from the amazing race got axed

8. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i'm on board...again :)

honestly my first impression (first 10 minutes) weren't very good....but by the end of the show i'm all in. i think it could be a really good season.

9. rburly

10. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I hate it when people get multiple chances to play/win on these shows outside of "all-star" versions, so I'm very glad Amazing Race was sent packing first. Hopefully her sister will be gone soon too. So far this season seems to have potential for being a good one.

rburly and keifspoon like this.
  11. xdawg

So let me get this straight. Val decides to try to bluff her tribe into thinking she has TWO hidden immunity idols after only being there for 3-4 days. John Rocker actually believes her - even though he has just found a immunity idol himself (he thinks there are already THREE hidden immunity idols in play!). Then his strategy (which he explains to Val) to KEEP Val in the game is to work with his crew to make sure votes are split between Val and Baylor and for Val to use one of her non-existant idols. To compound this, Val actually agrees because she thinks she can get a majority vote anyway and not have to use one of her pretend idols (even though she has just been told that the vote would be split). The votes are cast, the vote is split, there is a re-vote and then the tribe decides to vote off Val because a) they can't trust her to play an idol when she says she will b) it gets two "hidden immunity idols" out of action. This season may showcase some of the worst Survivor skilz ever. :crazy:

DeeThomaz likes this.
  12. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

We both thought the same thing. Very strange.

13. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

Val should of never lied. She set her self up.

14. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Agreed, she did it to herself and the previews look like a blow up against Rocker. Sadly, that was probably the whole point of including him this season, to add drama.

Why do very few in the history of survivor understand how to push someone off that platform or defend themselves via the lowest center of gravity. Have none of these people ever watched football? The lineman that stays the lowest while on their feet wins. Defensive linemen try to stand up the offensive player to push them back and vica versa. Keep low and raise the other off their feet. I would have thought Rocker would have at least known this if not anyone else but he falls.

15. beep

beep Senior Member

Maybe it was just me but was anyone else thinking "Big Bang Theory" when Josh and Reed squared off on the platform?

16. rburly

I can't say that I had that thought.

17. xdawg

I've watched every episode of every season so far - I'm a big fan! That being said, this may be the worst season yet. I'm no fan of John Rocker, but tonight's episode was bull$hit. That was a total setup from the producers of the show. Horrible! Right now, I want everyone to get voted off!

:shh:(I may change my mind though)

jriems likes this.
  18. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Something went wrong with this episode....was it edited for TV?.....I can't believe that John Rocker went into Survivor without a game plan, I don't know him or what he stands for now but if he has changed as a person from what happened in the media long ago....then now was his chance to set things right and speak up. I did not like how Natalie confronted John at the challenge, she heard a story back at camp and brought that story up and tried and convicted him in front of everyone without even knowing him or giving him a chance to see if he had changed as a person, she judged him right up front that was really arrogant on her part. However, John missed his opportunity to speak on this issue and set the record straight, instead he let out things he shouldn't have said, even his girlfriend said stop John.

I was waiting for John to say something like, yeah, you know I'm not proud of what I said and I really regret what I said in the past and I have learned and have grown into a better man than I was when that happened. I don't know something that was real instead he missed his chance to set things right. He should have played the idol.

I guess no one is watching? :laugh:

19. rburly

I think the observation below addressed, to an extent, what you're talking about.

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

He and Val have to be two of the worst players in history when it comes to strategy, and I don't think he's changed ("If you were a man I'd knock your teeth in!") so he would never do what you suggest.

I'm watching, but completely underwhelmed, though the hick and the NY gay guy on exile island was kind of a kick. DVR and fast-forward is my friend.

John K.

21. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Right as a viewer I was left with the impression that he has not changed. I hope cbs didn't edit out anything on his behalf I mean they wouldn't do that huh?

22. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

I think the writing was on the wall for John, because of Val getting voted off.
    Also with him walking off with her didn't help either.

23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

He didn't play the game too well, I couldn't believe he told everyone at the first challenge that he promised to save Val, I mean he was talking too much, that should have been kept private. What he should have said instead was that she came out and announced she had not 1 idol but 2, how can anyone compete against that? Then he should have said, she didn't use any of them to save herself so she was lying to the tribe, if he's going to talk, say that. Val was bound to get voted off. Instead he was saying how he was sorry for not saving her, huh? it was not his job to save her in the first place. Bad game moves by both John and Val.

24. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

The addition of Rocker to the cast was strictly for inflammation and conflict. As soon as I saw he was on the show, I knew EXACTLY how it would play out, and it did. The producers aren't even trying to hide their involvement anymore. It's utterly predictable - not always, but with something as obvious as last night's show, it sure is.

Of course, his call-out to Val's husband about his strategy in public where all of his tribe could hear was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on the show. Why would any of his tribe trust him after that revelation? He should have just waited until the merge to explain to Val's husband what happened, and that it was her own fault she got voted out.

rburly and xdawg like this.
  25. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

Drew = delusional dufus

he thinks he's a bad ass...more like dumb ass

jriems, xdawg and gotityet0 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.