Sutherland 20/20 Phono Pre- Why it Sounds so Good?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, May 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Having lived with the Sutherland 20/20 phono preamp for several weeks I may have discovered why it sounds so good- this little blurb from the Stereophile review-

"However, the rise in response above 15kHz shows that Ron Sutherland wanted the 20/20's ultrasonic correction to conform to the so-called "Neumann fourth pole," which is intended to compensate for the cutter head's departure from a perfect preemphasis curve.1"

The RIAA filter allows a rising response to compensate for the cutter head! I have not seen this done on any other phono stage.

Even though it is out of the hearing range for many people it does have a very crystaline, sweet, very extended treble response that is really enjoyable. Not bright at all but extended like few vinyl systems I have heard. It lets the cartridge shine and relay all the detail it is picking up.
    This is just one aspect of the sound that I really like- it is superbly dynamic, impeccably clean sounding and free from noisy electronic artifacts.
    Highly recommended if you are in the market for a phono preamp in this price range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dignan2000, hi_watt, jgrillo and 15 others like this.
  2. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

He does make a great phono stage, I have the Insight and absolutely love it.

I may step up to the 20/20 some day (-;

3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

If anyone is interested, there's a new listing on audiogon for a nearly new Insight at $800.

HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have talked to Ron several times at shows. Great guy: very nice and very knowledgeable. Makes great products.

Happy you are getting excellent results! :cheers:

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Sutherland is underrated. I had the one with all the D batteries and it was fantastic.

6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing @avanti1960! This is more of a detailed answer than I ever would have found. I'll I know is I love my 20/20 and I can't ever imaging a need to change. I might want to just for fun someday, but I don't believe I will ever *need* to change it. It's really lived up to expectations so far, and I'm excited to see what it can do as I move further up the audio chain over time.

7. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Wow, there was one on my local Craigslist just yesterday. I was contemplating it last night. I just checked again - GONE!

hi_watt likes this.
  8. displayname

How much was it listed for?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

ddarch likes this.
  10. Davey

The 20/20 is a little different from the PH3D, it uses a TI INA163 low-noise instrumentation amplifier IC and then a BB OPA134 opamp, and instead of capacitor coupling it uses a BB OPA627 opamp to zero out the DC.

bluemooze and displayname like this.
  11. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Think it sounds different than the ph3d? thanks. Duo looks tempting

12. Davey

I've never heard any of them. Most of my gear follows a different design philosophy with discrete circuits and no electrolytic capacitors, almost the antithesis in some respects with his ICs and banks of low ESR electrolytics, but Sutherland does make some nice gear, and has a pretty strong reputation in the audio world.

avanti1960 and displayname like this.
  13. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I had the Insight and thought it was a very good stage. Not surprised the 20/20 is a keeper. Assuming you like it better than the BCSEII?

14. Helom

Helom Forum member

The rising response may very well be what sets it apart from many others, but quite a few manufacturers use the Neumann "4th pole" technique, including Lounge and Parasound. I think JA claims this emphasizes ticks and pops.

displayname likes this.
  15. displayname

I don't know about all of that, but I can tell you my 20/20 significantly reduced pops and ticks compared to my previous stage, but the 20/20 is also massively in another league.

mike catucci likes this.
  16. avanti1960

mike, yes. the 20/20 sounds more transparent and cleaner, slightly more dynamic, better treble extension. i really like it! but i do miss the bass rumble filters though.

mike catucci and displayname like this.
  17. avanti1960

thanks for the info. possibly cartridge dependent but i have not noticed any emphasis on ticks and pops and the system sounds quieter than ever.

18. avanti1960

I had some reservations about the design as well but the Stereophile class A review and their general high regards for all of the Sutherland stages put those doubts to rest- as well as a 60 day return policy!

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Do what I did and buy a KAB RF-1. Does a great job without changing the sound.

Jbird and avanti1960 like this.
  20. avanti1960

I sure hope it doesn't !

macster likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

Well, you know what I mean. ;)

Removes the overactive woofer problem while keeping the audible sound intact.

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

No problems with bass using the KAB with MCs?

23. Strat-Mangler

None at all. With and without it, there's no change in sound. Just that my woofers aren't as half active as without it.

Helom likes this.
  24. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I have both the KAB RF-1 and the Sutherland 20/20. If anything, the bass is punchier/deeper with the KAB inserted. Probably due to removing all the sub-sonic noise. I will never remove it from my setup.

Jbird, Theogenes and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. Helom

Helom Forum member

You don't have to run it with a 47KΩ load?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.