"Sweet City Woman", Early '70's guilty pleasure song of mine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris C, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Love it. Still have my original Bell single somewhere.

Chris C and zebop like this.
  2. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

How can you not sing along to Daybreak??

3. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Yeah, this one’s a guilty pleasure for sure, but pleasure nonetheless. I remember this from whenI was very, very little and hearing it on AM radio. All. The. Time. But even back then, I liked it too. It just screams “70s,” but in a good way.

This one gets played on Sirius XM’s “The Bridge” channel fairly often. Mellow Classic Rock, with a definite emphasis on the ‘70s.

I can usually play that channel for long periods of time and enjoy the offerings, but, eventually they throw in a Christopher Cross, or Stephen Bishop or something that’s just too sappy for me and I’ve gotta change the channel. They could also stand to expand their playlists beyond the same handful of songs from their core artists. But maybe dial back the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and (of all people) Ambrosia and Seals & Crofts a bit.

Still, it’s great to hear a fun old song like “Sweet City Woman” any time it comes on.

Chris C likes this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

On August 8th 1971, "Sweet City Woman" by the Stampeders entered Billboard's Hot Top 100 chart at position #83; and on October 17th, 1971 it peaked at #8 {for 1 week} and spent 14 weeks on the Top100...And on August 7th, 1971 it reached #1 {for 3 weeks} on the Canadian RPM 100 Singles chart...The trio had two other Top 100 records; "Devil Woman" {peaked at #61 in 1972} and "Hit the Road Jack" with Wolfman Jack {reached #40 in 1976}.

The early '70s were a fertile time for good "one hit wonders" like this.

5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I have a couple of their Canadian label LPs; for some reason I haven't run across them too often. I've run across The Bells and Painter more. Wild Eyes is my favorite, it was on a K-Tel LP we had growing up. I'm sure I remember them doing it on tv back then, but might've been on a U.S. show. I'm pretty sure they were from Calgary. Painter was from Edmonton.

6. Minstrel Boy

Minstrel Boy Forum Resident

I was 11 and I HATED it! And there was no escape. It saturated Canadian radio for weeks. I'm fine with it now, but man, then was a different story

grapenut likes this.
  7. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

A reminder of my days spent listening to CKLW. Always dug this song.

JamieC likes this.
  8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

One of their Canada-only hits, a big favorite of mine:

9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I was around 5 or 6 when this was on the radio, and I liked it. I don't know any of their other songs.

Early 70s top 40 radio was great.

thematinggame, Zeki, Chris C and 2 others like this.
  10. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Rhino's entire "Have A Nice Day" series is dominated by songs with this chord progression all the way up through volume 14. Arguably, it all began with two other Canadian hit singles ("Snowbird" and "Which Way Ya Goin' Billy").

Chris C likes this.
  11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Never heard that one before. The funny thing is both that and "Sweet City Woman" sound quintessentially '70s to me, but they also sound like two completely different bands!

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My wife's favorite era of music is probably the New Wave of the '80s, yet SCW is one of her all-time favorite songs. It does have a killer hook, and neat instrumentation.

13. BPMC

BPMC Forum Resident

I absolutely love "Sweet City Woman"! It's one of a ĺong string of radio hits from that era that bring back delicious memories of being a ten year old without a care in the world.

clhboa and Chris C like this.
  14. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Another Canadian hit, "Then Came the White Man"

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

And their first hit... always like this, "Carry Me"

DangerousKitchen and Rocker like this.
  16. John54

John54 Senior Member

Sweet City Woman is the Canadian answer to Sugar Sugar by the Archies. It's probably alright on its own merits but it's been massively overplayed to where 99% of Canadians are sick of it (I should think).

Looking over the thread I can see that most of their other hits were worse, especially Wild Eyes and Devil You.

Oh My Lady on the other hand is a pretty song and my favourite, followed by Minstrel Gypsy.

17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

That was just great to see!

Chris C likes this.
  18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last! Thread Starter

Well, one would think, right!?! My wife rarely sings along when I play Manilow, although she will sometimes duet with me on the great "I Don't Want To Walk Without You", once it gets into that classic "32 or more Barry and Ron Dante background harmonies", if she's in the mood, LOL, which please me to no end!

utopiarun likes this.
  19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last! Thread Starter

As a 30+ year radio personality, now doing part-time talk radio, I would absolutely love to have a nearby radio station to work at and play this type of music, as I know that there is still an audience out there for this music, especially among the fifty other stations which play nothing but endless Bruno Mars, Country and "Won't Get Fooled Again".

clhboa and BPMC like this.
  20. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

The last few days i've been listening to Early in the Morning and Hitchin' a Ride by Vanity Fare.[can't get them out of my mind!]

21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Wasn't much banjo led music in the top 40. Great song and quite unique for the time. I still sing along.

guy incognito likes this.
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I was bouncing between CK and WKNR.

troggy and clhboa like this.
  23. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Nice little blast from the past. It’s basically an irresistible pop song. Those guys looked pretty happy to have their one-hit it looks like it served them well.

Thanks for the link it was fun.

24. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I make that same drive often, from Columbus to Philly...that last 3 hours on 70 heading west is brutal!

25. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Always liked this song. Even though a few of my friends then didn't think it was "hip"
    They probably liked it too. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.