"Sweet City Woman", Early '70's guilty pleasure song of mine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris C, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

2. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

"Sky-high" by jigsaw!!!!catchy....always catchy!!!!!

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Wow. I have been a folk performer for over 30 years and have NEVER seen anyone use anything like that on a banjo. Cannot fathom why anyone would use it on an autoharp or dulcimer since they are softer sounds anyway. Most folks just put a small towel inside the banjo head if it is open if they want to deaden the sound. personally I love a ringing banjo.

4. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

... except that "Sweet City Woman" (a song I absolutely adore!) was not there only hit! :)

5. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Also works well for accordion.

6. I have such strong memories of The Stampeders! Those first 3 albums 71, 72 & 73 all contained a number of great AM radio hits and when I think of Sweet City Woman, it puts me at age 12 in the backyard of my grandmothers house for some reason. Regrettably, I do not own any of their music anymore. My mom bought me a copy of the "Carryin On" LP for my birthday in 1972 and to this day, anytime I see a copy, I pick it up to look for her neatly written birthday inscription.

7. HappyJack

HappyJack Forum Resident

I was a youngster when this song came out. I thought it was a Seals and Crofts song.

8. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I have this 45 in my collection. I really have a soft spot for 70's AM Top 40. The past year or so, I've been going through my 45 collection, cleaning, playing and alphabetizing for storage. I usually get up early every Saturday & Sunday morning and try to play at least a handful of them. What a great trip down memory lane.
    [​IMG]

saturdayboy likes this.
  9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Doesn't count, you state support it. ;)

10. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I saw them play here at the Halifax Forum around 1973 on the same bill with Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush and another band-Thundermug I think.

11. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Can't stand it, partly because it was over-played on AM radio in Toronto when I was growing up. Not something you would ever have heard on FM, for good reason.

12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Any memory of WCAR, which was a Detroit, top 40 rocker for a short time, just about the time "Sweet City Woman" was a hit?

13. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I think it's a bit sad and amusing at the same time how some look at songs like "Sweet City Woman" and "Sugar, Sugar" with condescension. What I suspect is that those who do so really do deep down like these songs very much and they're simply afraid to show their soft gooey center!
    I even like the french rendition of "Sweet City Woman".

14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

A Stampeders thread on the Hoffman forum! That is too much. The original trio was
    here in town a year or so ago but the gig was on a Sunday night during football season
    so I passed. I regret it now, of course.

15. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Re......Doesn't count, you state support it.

Our little bag of pebbles to go up against Goliath apparently.

16. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I liked this song. But it looks like the Sweet City Woman fed the one guy too many macaroons.:cool:

17. My first rock concert was The Stampeders at the Ottawa EX in probably 1973. Great show!

18. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

thanks for posting this, great video and song
    shows you how effective a simple but well-crafted song can be
    I have also got the LP and it has a few other good songs, notably Carry me

19. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

You beat me to it! But I was also going to add Leonard Cohen.

But maybe they're not among your faves Chris? Or just didn't make it to the top of your head...

20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

"The car that drives Detroit!" You betcha!

troggy likes this.
  21. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I had the 45 single of this. It hit the spot back in the day. "And she feeds me love and tenderness and macaroons." A guy could do worse.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd say he forgot...: )

23. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Who could forget Joni???? Surely the best Canadian artist (sorry Neil and Leonard), even given the subjectiveness involved w/ that choice...

Among the top 5 artists in my book from any nation.

24. maxwelledison1

maxwelledison1 Senior Member

For Mago from Forrest City.

25. Never mind Sesame Street and other children's records, "Sweet City Woman" was my favourite song as a pre-kindergartener.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.