Sweet sounds of reel to reel...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WHitese, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, I never had a Reel to Reel unit that was up to specs like this one. After I returned from the former TEAC techs in Emerson, NJ..I played two of my favourite 7" reels as seen in the photos. I was glad to hear that the heads have virtually zero wear and they were complimentary of the units sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nitsuj, zenarus, Shak Cohen and 5 others like this.
  2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Hey, that's a nice looking deck. Wouldn't mind one of those for myself.

jeff

3. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I had one of those and sold it to a forum member here. It's a great deck: 15ips, 4-track playback, 2-track record, DBX noise reduction.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Every time I see a reel-to-reel deck at an estate sale I start musing. I know it has the potential to give some of the best playback available but then I start thinking of trying to maintain a deck and then also realize there isn't much available that I want to play on one and what I do is very expensive and at the end of its useful life anyway. But then I see someone with a great set-up enjoying fantastic sound and I start musing again...

Brudy and Mister Charlie like this.
  5. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

It's fun to play reels. I was lucky to get a bulk of mine on eBay before prices soared. Unfortunately, I bought a good amount of 3 3/4 ips before I knew better. Now I won't even consider them. IMO vinyl sounds better but 7 1/2 or 15 ips still sounds great and even comparable on certain decks. Tracking down replacement parts is a PITA. When you do get it all worked out, it's a thin slice of heaven.

6. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

When we talk about reel to reel decks, the interest is usually for duplication/ archiving/ recording a band vs. listening to pre-recorded material. The pre-recorded reels are quite a forgotten format. They are not taken seriously as they should be, I think, due to a sharp decline in quality during the mid 70's to their demise. The earlier 7.5 IPS 4 tracks can be an eye opening experience (or shall I say ear-opening) the first inline stereo reels mind blowing. There are also the exceptions, such as 3.75 ips half track monos from the UK (ie: The Beatles)

RonW likes this.
  7. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

That's a nice setup. I can't help but remember the times we used to record and compare and enjoy the lovely sound. Take care of the deck and it will take care of you. Isn't it beautiful to watch while you listen? I always thought so.

Memories!

Ron

Mister Charlie and The FRiNgE like this.
  8. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I keep thinking of the reel to reel in pulp fiction everytime I see one of these threads. Nice deck.

9. WHitese

thanks guys...but honestly, half the joy is knowing that the gear which is vintage is in tip top shape.
    [​IMG]

Brudy, erniebert, RonW and 1 other person like this.
  10. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I/4 track pre recorded is a bit feeble compared to 1/2 track originals
    3 3/4 ips really is feeble,some cassettes (Naks) sounded better than that at 1 7/8ips
    7 1/2 OR 15 ips is the only way with 1/4"

Shak Cohen likes this.
  11. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I sure miss my Tandberg.

[​IMG]

12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I have an x1000 and an x2000 and it's a good thing they still work...

[​IMG]

4140, broccolid, Brudy and 3 others like this.
  13. WHitese

Dang..that's a lot of tape!

RonW and davmar77 like this.
  14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have the same deck that I bought as NOS about 8 years ago. I recently had it lubed at a local center and I installed 2 new belts. It is a very under rated deck, I think because there weren't that many sold. The tape handling is great the equal of the highly regarded Technics 1500, plus it has the spooling feature.
    If you want to take it to another level try an external tape head amp. The deck can be modified easily and can be done so it can be reversed without mofications.

15. WHitese

I always wondered about the headamps that r in vintage units like my Pilot gear...

16. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Tape transports can grind and creak
    Even my Pabst Motor groaned on my Revox G36,especially with NAB spools.

17. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

"Tape transports can grind and creak
    Even my Pabst Motor groaned on my Revox G36,especially with NAB spools."

Sounds like your tapes are experiencing "sticition"

When the tape is moved through the vacuum chamber, there is a tendency for electrostatic charge and moisture buildup on the tape surface and this causes the tape to tend to adhere to the chamber walls. Such adhesion, known as stiction", produces a heavy drag on the tape and this may materially affect the functioning of the tape drive apparatus. Friction between the surface of the tape and chamber surface may also introduce an adverse drag on the tape to further impede the operation of the tape drive apparatus.

When I worked for a radio station.. I could have bought a Revox dirt cheap and acquire a good stock of reel to reel tapes that were no longer being used...however knowing the hassles of constantly cleaning the tape head, azimuth adjustment and baking tapes to solve the sticition problem..wasn 't worth the time involved.

18. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

Not to knock this deck but, I doubt that it was as good as the Technics 1500 at handling tape. Two totally different types of transports here and most know that the transpot of the 1500 was it's strong point.

19. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

Jack,
    If you really like the sound from those tapes I highly recommand getting something in 2track format at 15ips!!! You will be blown away and the sound quality.

20. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Vacuum chamber?
    What are you talking about?
    A huge synchronous motor for the capstan/pinch wheel is dragging a ribbon of tape across a head block via back tension from the feed spool.
    The groans and creaks came from the mechanical functions and vibrating NAB spools.
    Fine in a control room ,noisy in a living room.

21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Creeks and Groans, what are you guys talking about? I've owned lots of desks over the last 45 years and never experienced those sounds. Sure there is a bit more noise than a CD player but nothing that is intrusive in a listening environment.
    If you have creeks and groans get an exorcist.

Robert C and WHitese like this.
  22. WHitese

Now, that is funny!!!

23. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

Jack - I bought the X2000M from Charlie. I also have a Tascam BR20 and Revox C270 for 1/2 track. These machines with The Tape Project tapes are the best sounds my system has ever sounded.

charlie W likes this.
  24. WHitese

Oh, I believe it!!! But that kind of investment is too painful for me..Unless they put out some Lute music.

25. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I've had an extremely modest TEAC RTR for the last four years (the Realistic TR-3000) and love it so much that I keep several tapes just to record CDs to when the fancy takes me. Never disappoints.

Brudy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.