"Sweetheart of the Rodeo" 50th Anniversary tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yea, agree strongly - don’t get the Crosby chatter - this has nothing to do w Crosby. I really do like Crosby, but this is not that. This mini-tour is like lightning in a bottle - not to be missed by Byrds / SOTR fans. I’m really hoping they announce a few more dates, as the initial dates are pretty tough to swing from St Louis.

melstapler likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great guy! met him in the 70's...wonder if he still plays banjo?

melstapler likes this.
  3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

On a work night, can't do it.
    (vacation time already accounted for)

4. GreenOwl

GreenOwl Forum Resident

I've went through stages of favorite Byrds albums but I've come to regard Younger Than Yesterday as their best. Two of their best and first country rock tunes are hiding on that album...both written and sung by Hillman, both criminally too short, both ahead of the game. If you don't know the songs I'm talking about you better go do your homework.

Dee Zee, ted321, Rfreeman and 3 others like this.
  5. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yup! It may well be their best - it is a really fine album, altho NBB and SOTR are up there too.
    And those two tunes mark the first appearances of Clarence White with the Byrds.

And the other two Hillman tunes are real gems as well. That album has such strong tracks, and Usher’s production is just ...so crystalline, really clean. I do love YTY.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    t-man 54 and GreenOwl like this.
  6. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

ted321, jlf, Rfreeman and 1 other person like this.
  7. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

Sorry I don't get the "Love" for Crosby. Of all the "players" coming from the Byrds/Buffalo Springfield axis,
    the following are my favorites: Steve Stills, Neil Young, Gram Parsons, Richie Furay, Jim Messina, Roger McGuinn,
    Gene Clark, Chris Hillman, Clarence White, based on their solo stuff and/or contributions to Byrds/Springfield.
    Unfortunately, Gram, Gene and Clarence are no longer with us.

Michael Bean and melstapler like this.
  8. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I don't get the "hate" for Crosby when it comes to the Byrds. His high harmonies we're crucial to that great vocal blend that the original Byrds were known for.

ronbow, Davmoco and starduster like this.
  9. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

So, I didn’t find out about this until after the on-sale date.

If anyone has an extra single ticket for the Virginia show (particularly on the floor towards the center) please PM me.

Thanks.

10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, the tour has been set up so as not require Crosby's participation... yet they still want to play the '65-'67 hits.

11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of Sweetheart, so this tour doesn't interest me (and that becomes a moot point since I don't think it comes that close to me anyway - it's not possible for me to travel several hours, even on a weekend).

I think the Crosby discussion is centering on the optics of McGuinn et al. only agreeing to do a 50th anniversary tour --- once the 50th anniversary date got past Crosby's involvement with the Byrds. It just so happens that Sweetheart is the first 50th anniversary involving the Byrds (LP-wise) that doesn't involve Crosby.

Sweetheart fans - I hope it's all you are hoping for.

12. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I don’t think is anything that sinister - Marty is a real musicologist and Byrds fan as well as a first-rate musician, and i suspect he may have been the driver for this.

13. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The fact that Hillman guested with Crosby last night and the two worked together recently on Hillman's album points to the fact that Crosby does NOT have a problem with the Sweetheart gigs by McGuinn and Hillman. Crosby likely was made aware of the Sweetheart gigs and did not protest.

signothetimes53 likes this.
  15. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

ronbow nails it for me. Marty Stuart is the linchpin for this tour that makes it something more than nostalgia, he and his band add superb musicianship to the mix.

For the record, I love David Crosby's last 3 albums, they have been stunningly great, and the DC live show I saw a year ago was fantastic. There aren't many 76 year old singers/musicians still performing at this high level. But I'm also okay with the fact that he's not on the Sweethearts tour, and it would appear he is okay with it too. Good for him, and good for McGuinn, Hillman and Stuart for offering a great concert tour, too.

16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

No, no - it's not sinister. It's just very convenient that this is the first Byrds 50th anniversary to be observed.

17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I have no doubt Crosby has a problem with this tour. Why would he? That's the beauty of the arrangement.

18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

David Crosby has already commented on Twitter that these will be great shows........didn't say anything bad about them (or Roger).

jlf likes this.
  19. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

Putting money where my mouth is - bought tickets to see the Sweetheart of Rodeo show with McGuinn, Hillman
    and Marty Stuart's band at Saratoga Winery ( end of July ). (will stop bashing Crosby)

drgn95 and ronbow like this.
  20. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

They HAVE to play some of those "hits". The audience will be staring at McGuinn and Hillman and
    expect "Mr T-man", "So You Want to be R&R Star" and I think Marty Stuart's band can cover them
    fairly well. But I'm going to see/hear the Sweetheart album songs!

21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Exactly right. I know that Marty's band will do very well covering the '65-'67 hits. In fact, Marty and the band played with Roger when he did Turn Turn Turn on the RFD-TV show.

melstapler and PsychGuy like this.
  22. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I saw an episode of his show (with McGuinn as a guest) where Marty opened the show with "Mr. Spaceman."

melstapler likes this.
  23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

The same episode.

MarkTheShark and melstapler like this.
  24. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

In the articles two weeks back, more show dates were promised...does anyone know if that'll actually happen?

clhboa and melstapler like this.
  25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

More shows will happen only if you pester your local promoter.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.