"Sweetheart of the Rodeo" 50th Anniversary tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In that case, and to see if the pattern holds, I'm going out to buy Sgt Pepper ... ;)

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Or Chris. Was it not clear I was joking?

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Its Byrds related, not just Gram related.

@BradOlson, thanks for this thread.

4. Arnold Grove

Gram has been at the rodeo in the sky for about 45 years now, so I think we can cut Chris and Roger (and Marty) some slack.

5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I have tix to see this in Albany, NY at the
    Egg in Sept. Excited ! (I work next to the venue).

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Darn ! Did I miss the " younger than yesterday " 50th anniversary tour ?

Summerisle and hallucalation like this.
  7. glewes

glewes Forum Resident

I think the idea of this tour is fantastic. However, does anyone have any problems with the promo blurb being put out by Skyline Artist Agency that not only does not mention Gram Parsons as a member of the Byrds at this seminal time but also calls the Burrito Brothers Hillman's band? This sounds like a complete rewrite of fairly important history here, in order to spin the tour. If my understanding is correct, the Byrds would never have "gone country" in the traditional way they did, were it not for Parsons, who entered the band at this time. And, although he was very important in getting the Burritos up and flying, to say they were Hillman's group and not to mention Parsons does a serious injustice to the facts, as I understand them. And there is no need! These guys will generate a great tour (along with Marty) without having to airbrush Parsons' influence out of all the promo material.

905 likes this.
  8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Clever way of doing a Byrds reunion tour without having to invite Crosby.

9. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Odd that there is no mention of this on Marty's website.

10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

As I said in another thread, it's strange that they would tour Sweetheart without Gram, when they could do Younger and Yesterday and Notorious Byrd Brothers with Crosby.

Jack o' the Shadows likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

They did invite Crosby. He insisted on opening the show with "Mind Gardens".... Here we go again ... ;)

12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Sure to be great! And true to his word, McGuinn isn't calling it the Byrds.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Over the years, Gram Parsons has gotten far too much credit for the Flying Burrito Brothers while Hillman has not received enough (witness the album cover below, which suggests the Burritos were nothing more than Parsons' backing band):
    [​IMG]

So I don't mind seeing the pendulum swung too far the other way just once to compensate. I can't imagine there's anyone interested in attending a show on this tour who would not already be well aware of the history and of Parsons.

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It sure is. I love it.

carlwm likes this.
  15. I think touring without Gram Parsons would be more enjoyable than touring with David Crosby.

16. glewes

glewes Forum Resident

No question that Hillman deserves more credit for the Burritos than he has gotten. Someone needed to be responsible, make decisions and hold things together. Those were not Gram's forte, especially at this point in his life and career. Still makes me cringe, though, to see Parsons written out of the account entirely.

starduster and Hardy Melville like this.
  17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Yes, that's why this "reunion" is so convenient for McGuinn. But it's a shame that the three creative forces behind Younger Than Yesterday and The Notorious Byrd Brothers are all still with us - and touring to boot - yet what is being offered to the public here is a performance of an album where only two of its three principals can be mustered.

18. I suspect a commercial decision was made to avoid mentioning that a key player on the original album would not be making an appearance.

19. Arnold Grove

I agree. BUT I would hold off for now. This is how the Skyline Booking Agency has worded their blurb. And although they should have mentioned Gram, they may not be knowledgable or musically savvy to know the details.

Let's see how the show is promoted or mentioned by Roger, Chris, and Marty on their own web sites, or if they give press interviews. And then see how they comment about Gram at the show (or shows) themselves. If Gram is mentioned honorably and accurately in those circumstances, then that would be most excellent.

BeSteVenn, pablo fanques and zobalob like this.
  20. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

We can cut 'em slack, but without the heart and soul of this incredible album it might as well be a tribute band, albeit an incredible tribute band

21. Clarence White will be there in spirit thanks to Marty and the Parsons/White B-bender.

[​IMG]

22. Arnold Grove

Not to sound jaded --- But ANY performers, who are reprising an old album of theirs from 50 years ago, and who are inevitably past their artistic primes, could be called a tribute band. And Gram is dead, after all, so we do not know how this would have been handled if he had lived this far.

Luckily, though, Chris and Roger still perform very wonderfully in their own separate musical endeavors, and this is an unexpected walk back in time for them to join forces with Marty. Yes, you could call it an "incredible tribute band" --- but unless Roger, Chris and Marty recorded a Sweetheart Part II album that was as remarkable as the 1968 release, which will 99.99999% never happen, then we have to accept them as a "tribute band". Let's judge it when we see/hear it. And let's hope that they add some more shows. That EGG venue in Albany holds less than 1000 people.

jlf, zobalob and starduster like this.
  23. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Hillman I believe is literally the only of the original Burritos still alive

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yes! Thank you for mentioning that!

starduster, EdColeman and Greenalishi like this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Is Kevin Kelly still alive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.