"Sweetheart of the Rodeo" 50th Anniversary tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

2. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Also Chris has pretty bad arthritis, this according to his Library of Congress talk in 2009.

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

He was quite stoic and professional both times we saw him (with Herb). But check out 3:45 for his sense of humor

4. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Three new dates added:

9/9/18 – Folly Theatre – Kansas City, MO
    9/12/18 – Historic Gillioz Theatre – Springfield, MO
    10/21/18 – Byers Theatre – Atlanta, GA

Source: Chris Hillman's official Facebook

Paperback Writer likes this.
  5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Hallelujah!

budwhite likes this.
  6. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

C'mon Chicago!

hyde park and Crungy like this.
  7. Raoul V.

Raoul V. Well-Known Member

Re: Crosby's participation: if I'm not mistaken, although they performed Byrds songs from the Crosby era in set one and in the encores, they carefully chose songs that he didn't write or co-write (all written by McGuinn, Hillman, Dylan, or others but no Crosby). No Gene Clark songs either.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    oldjollymon, melstapler and mdm08033 like this.
  8. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

Interview with Roger and Chris (by way of Jambands.com)

It just occurred to me I got the Sweetheart of Rodeo cd I am listening to right now in 1997. Time flies.

9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Interesting part here:

Why this album? This isn’t something you did with Notorious Byrd Brothers or Younger Than Yesterday or any of the other Byrds albums.

CH: Well, it’s the 50th anniversary of the record. It’s also the last record I worked on with Roger before I went off and did the Flying Burrito Brothers. Sweetheart of the Rodeo wasn’t really my favorite Byrds album, but it did open a vast floodgate for West Coast country-rock or country music to come out. It was Sweetheart that initiated all that, that really led up to the Eagles. The legacy of Sweetheart of the Rodeo probably surpassed a lot of the other Byrds projects.

Well, it's also the 50th anniversary of Notorious Byrd Brothers... Surprising also to see Chris say in this context that Sweetheart is not his favorite Byrds album. I wonder which one is?

10. Dee Zee

He said he was very fond of Notorious at the Library of Congress talk.

linclink, Paperback Writer and Wright like this.
  11. Dee Zee

Well, my pal and long time partner surprised me with tickets for the Roanoke VA show on October 10. Woot!!!

12. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

If anyone has an extra ticket for the Town Hall show in NYC I’d love to buy it...I had to miss the onsale...life getting in the way again...shot in the dark, I guess...

13. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Missed it too. If they added a second Albany show I have to assume they’re at least trying to add another NYC area show.

14. Untitled

Untitled Forum Resident

I saw Chris perform in front of a band in the 70s on the Slippin' Away tour and as the front man in the Desert Rose Band in the early 90s. Both times, he was actively engaged in things and he seemed to be enjoying himself. Saw him again with Pederson and Jorgenson last October, and he was much more low key. Then again, that performance was on the heels of Tom Petty's passing. But I've never been disappointed in his shows.

melstapler likes this.
  15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Arnold Grove likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

marmalade likes this.
  17. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

That makes sense. I'd guess that Younger than Yesterday and Notorious Byrd Brothers are his favorite Byrds albums, because he the most creative input into their creation. Sweetheart was sort of indulging his passion for country music, but he didn't contribute any compositions and only sang lead on two songs. Whereas he had more writing credits than anyone else on Younger, and was essentially McGuinn's only collaborator by the end of the Notorious sessions.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Just noticed they added a Sunday show at Town Hall - pre-sale is going on now and general sale starts tomorrow.

19. Joe Shlabotnik

Joe Shlabotnik Formerly dickvin

I've got one ticket at face value for the Oct. 10 Roanoke VA. show if anyone's interested. Row Q Seat 16 Orchestra Right. Grabbed it before Durham, N.C. went on sale which is lot closer for me. PM if interested.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The Folly Theater show in Kansas City is being presented by Knuckleheads Saloon. I like the Folly Theater, but it's dreadfully underused, mostly because the people running it seem to be over-protective of the place.

21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

That's my brother's article by the way. :wave:

Paperback Writer and budwhite like this.
  22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

That seems fair enough, hopefully this tour will extend into 2019.

23. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

Pretty cool -

24. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

If Marty and the Superlatives were playing K.C. without Roger and Chris I'd be there in a heartbeat. After watching the You Tube stuff, I'm going to pass on this celebration. I saw the Byrds in '73, and Hillman in Manassas. I'm glad Roger and Chris are still alive and kicking, and I'm sure it's a thrill for Marty and the boys to back them. For me, Sweetheart was a huge drop off from everything Byrds that had gone before.

25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. Saw Chris last Fall and the mood was different. Perhaps he was still in shock regarding Tom's passing. One frustrating thought I've had is that if Tom had lived, it's easy to wonder if "Bidin My Time" would've received more publicity and support (than it did) from his involvement. The lost possibility of Chris doing a tour or playing some dates with Tom and The Heartbreakers also comes to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.