"Sweetheart of the Rodeo" 50th Anniversary tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Not to mention co-write almost all the songs, and sing on most of them as well. Parsons was out in front because Hillman let him be there, but Parsons was not the star of the band. Hillman was just as important musically to that band as Parsons was.

As Arnold noted anyway, one promo blurb is probably not indicative that the intent is to write Parsons out of the history.

I'm skeptical that was a factor. As I said above, I can't imagine there is anyone remotely interested in this tour who isn't well aware of who Parsons was or of the fact that he's been dead for 45 years.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Nope, and neither is Doug Dillard (who toured with them in 1968). It would be cool if they invited Lloyd Green (who did the memorable pedal steel work on the original album) to participate, but he's 80 and I doubt he'd want to tour.

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

See, this is the kind of thing I was talking about... giving Parsons too much of the credit. The Byrds weren't his backup band either. The initial idea for the album was his, but he didn't do it all by himself.

eternalise, Cousin It and ssmith3046 like this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't think of it as a Byrds tribute band at all.

5. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

He died about 15 years ago

6. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Nope, it's just you.

(Although I'm sure the copy would read a lot more excitingly with a hundred historical footnotes...)

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Can't imagine McGuinn feels all that warmly towards Gram

8. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Why is that ironic?

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No. He passed away in 2002.

10. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

Marty Stuart and his band are fantastic. I enjoyed the performances they did with McGuinn on their t.v. show. There is no better suited backing band for this show than them. I hope Roger brings his light show Rickenbacker!

11. Because Sweetheart is a Byrd’s album and the members of the actual Byrd’s are not so much huge draws these days like Mary Stuart is. He can sell multiple nights in a row

12. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

13. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Would've loved to have been able to attend this show. Big fan of Sweetheart Of The Rodeo.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Excellent. We'll bore through the wall, and you can let us all in for free... ;)

zobalob likes this.
  15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don’t understand the irony either. Seems logical and appropriate to me.

16. Whenever use there term irony around here i always get this type of response. But my position is that us Byrds fans expect the actual members of the Byrds to be a larger draw than they seem to be in 2018, but unfortunately they are really not. Marty Stuart has been pretty hot and high profiles over that past several plus years.

How I describe Irony: a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.:tiphat:

Just maybe not amusing....

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, they were in a band together for less than six months, and that was 50 years ago. I'm sure McGuinn was pretty angry when Parsons quit the band, but I doubt he harbors any lingering ill will at this late date, particularly since Parsons himself has been dead for so long. The fact that McGuinn is willing to do this tour suggests he must have some warm feelings about the album at least, and perhaps about Gram himself too.

18. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

He's had that Ricky since at least 1974 when he was touring in support of the "Peace on You" album. It looked a bit more impressive then with the theatre lights turned down.

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Lloyd Green and Jay Dee Maness have recorded a steel guitar instrumental album with all of the songs on the Sweetheart of the Rodeo album in steel guitar instrumental version, plus a vocal reprise with Jim Lauderdale singing "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" and this album is out right now.

sberger, rd1, pablo fanques and 4 others like this.
  20. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

eternalise and BradOlson like this.
  21. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Cool......this is a perfect album that i still feel doesn't get its due!

22. Untitled

Untitled Forum Resident

And after Gram left, Chris was the force behind the self-titled third FBB album, which informed the first two or three Eagles albums.

23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

They are booked near me in albany ny. Not sure if that's the one you know about. Great venue although I don't think I can make it.

24. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

OMG! Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Marty Stuart, Kenny Vaughn, and the Superlatives. It doesn't get any better than that.

somnar, starduster and BradOlson like this.
  25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Yes indeed, this is the gig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.