"Sweetheart of the Rodeo" 50th Anniversary tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

So you usually attend concerts hoping performers will force their political views on the audience?

Only political views you agree with, of course
    Did Mr West's recent public statements change your mind about his work? It didn't change mine, as I don't want to listen to him whoever he votes for

bubba-ho-tep and jonathan like this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Although it would be interesting to see Crosby working with Roger and Chris on a different project, "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" is the primary emphasis of this tour and Crosby had nothing to do with that album. Hillman and McGuinn were affected by the tragic ending to Parsons' life and despite any past differences or resentment, both of them have spoken kindly of their fallen comrade for many decades now. McGuinn and Hillman are self-actualized individuals.

There has been an ongoing effort on a global level to divide and conquer the American people and we're fortunate that "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" promotes healing and unification and not to mention, a number of the songs possess a historical importance even deeper than the album itself. To say that "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" packs a spiritually powerful punch might be an understatement.

Much like his friend Roger, Marty is also a student of music and "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" deserves to be properly represented, despite the fact it's frequently overlooked or marginalized by rock fans. "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" is an amalgam of the varied visions and perspectives of McGuinn, Parsons and Hillman and the satisfying end result was ultimately achieved through a cooperative effort and ample amounts of hard work.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Never really hope for it, but I suspect I am like most honest people in admitting being more fond of opinions closer to my own.

Never really listened to Kanye overall (nor did I have any interest in Nugent, even before I was aware of his politics), but I have covered 4 5 Seconds with my band for years - started working that up about the day after it was released.

4. For members only at the present time at The Egg in Albany NY.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo 50th Anniversary Concert featuring Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman & Marty Stuart

MUSICTuesday, September 18 • 7:30pm • $68, $48, $38
    Part of the American Roots & Branches Series

[​IMG]

With one mighty swing of the axe, The Byrdschanged not only the face of rock ‘n’ roll but country music, as well, with their sixth album, 1968’s Sweetheart Of The Rodeo. On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of its release, Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman of The Byrds will join forces with country music icon Marty Stuart and his band The Fabulous Superlatives, to perform the album in its entirety as well as other classics by one of America’s most influential bands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WATCH ROGER McGUINN & MARTY STUART

This concert is currently on sale to members of The Egg. To find out how you can join and get the best seats in the house for this and other concerts, call The Egg Box Office – 518-473-1845

lightbulb, clhboa and melstapler like this.
  5. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

I hope they are coming to Europe...

zobalob and melstapler like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

SLOW DOWN! Let's first hope that they add a SECOND show somewhere --- anywhere.

7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

the egg is a great venue. they have two theaters. this is taking place in the larger of the two and holds about 1000.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

With all due respect, they need to professionally record this show and release it as a CD/DVD combo.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

With DVD/BR sales the way they are and the niche market for this, I expect the only way they could fund the production, editing and rights costs of such a release (for video you need to negotiate rights with every publisher and none of these tracks are written by the performers) is if they got a deal to broadcast it, perhaps as a PBS pledge drive special.

Audio release would be a lot easier to do, but likely even less of a market for that.

Bright side = folks will be there shooting video with their phones - like so many folks here like to complain about - and posting the results on YouTube for all to see.

10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Don't think the American people need any outside help with that. Goes back to the Federalist-Republican divide and the very birth of the nation.

moodyxadi likes this.
  11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

So, since the album is only half an hour, it will have to be at least another half hour of other Byrds songs. Still, that's only an hour in total, and audience expectations for modern concerts are probably at least 90 minutes. But they can hardly play a larger proportion of other Byrds song, because then that would dwarf the album itself and the raison d'être of the concert. Hmm...

moodyxadi likes this.
  12. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification on Hillman.

I grasp and can respect that McGuinn has shied away from rock altogether in favor of folk-oriented solo appearances for many years now. It certainly makes touring easier, for one thing. It will be interesting to see how this Sweetheart thing develops...that is, whether it grows into a full-fledged tour or not.

As for his view of Crosby, there is at least one instance I know of in the past 15 or so years where the two of them appeared on an interview show together and seemed to get along amicably.

What I have always wished for is that McGuinn, Crosby and Hillman would gather in some form just to make music together — as the three of them represent an absolutely unique combination that cannot be achieved by any other grouping.

It could be strictly a recording project, no tour. It could involve entirely new music, as opposed to rehashing their prior catalog. It could be primarily acoustically based — that is, more folk than rock. And above all, it would not have to be called "The Byrds," any more than McGuinn, Clark and Hillman were.

My guess is that, even with all the other objections removed in this fashion, McGuinn would still be against it. And that the religion angle would still be his ultimate reason (perhaps with the unstated addition that Crosby still rubs him the wrong way!).

AlienRendel likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It's possible (probable?) that Marty Stuart and his band would do an opening set of 30-45 minutes, followed by the Sweetheart album with Roger and Chris, and then a bunch (4 or 5?) of Byrds' classics to close the show.

14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

When was the last time Crosby and McGuinn played together? Wasn't that long ago that Hillman sat in with Crosby...

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

What comes first: the Byrds or the Egg?

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Just pick up where younger than yesterday left off

18. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Dang, it'd be great if they toured this.

clhboa likes this.
  19. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Magnanimous? Maybe. But the resulting album would have been not nearly as good. Parsons's vocals are superior, and Sweetheart would have been nothing like what it was without him.

glewes and starduster like this.
  20. Regrettably, Gram left us in the 70’s, I prefer to focus on his contributions to this great project; rather than reignite some old real and imagined Byrd conflicts.

Chris and Roger were part of the foundation and are cherished musicians in our life.
    Sweetheart was more than those three individuals, more than The Byrd’s.
    It was a colossal music evolution and performance.

Looking at the credits below demonstrates how broad contributions were from Nashville and county music. This makes Marty’s band being on board, also essential.

The Byrds
    Additional Personnel
    NOTE: The credits on the original album erroneously include drummer Jon Corneal, who plays only on the outtake "Lazy Days

starduster likes this.
  21. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I've been all over this land, been to all kinds of venues–even to Albany (to see Springsteen at the local arena)–and I have not known this unusual venue to exist until now. Turns out it was next door to the arena in Albany so I'm sure to have been nearby just never seen it. How about that?

Kingsley Fats and bonus like this.
  22. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Very well said.

As for McGuinn and Crosby, I believe they've had some warm and friendly interactions on Twitter. I think McGuinn's recalcitrance about a full-blown Byrds reunion has more to it than blaming it how he approaches his faith. It's frustrating for us fans, but it is what it is.

jammincrowe likes this.
  23. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Great news!

I think this celebration is a perfect fit for everybody involved. McGuinn does not want to do a Byrds reunion while Crosby owns the Byrds logo (the 5D logo and, maybe, the name as well). If they are to label it The Byrds, they probably need to get an approval from Crosby which I suspect he would gladly give them (and also be involved) but then you end up in a "Byrds reunion" situation which McGuinn wants to avoid. Alas, you get a Sweetheart of the rodeo celebration while still avoiding the Byrds. If that's the way to get them to celebrate the past, then I'm all for it.

24. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Hold on, Parsons only sings lead on three of the songs and they aren't necessarily the best vocals on the album.
    I'm a massive fan of Gram, but on Sweethearts McGuinn and Hillman are on fire, no way was Gram superior

25. While many of us fantasize about something resembling a Byrds reunion- this other remote possibility popped into my noggin’:

Perhaps, perhaps, this project could evolve into a mash-up musical collaboration- resembling something like The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s Will the Circle Be Unbroken?
    Meets the Rolling Thunder Revue!

I’m thinking; along with Roger, Chris and Marty/band you may have various musicians dropping in and out of the tour and commencing for the Live recording and New studio recording at end of first phase of tour.

Add you favorite like-minded “ Americanna “musicians of this century to folks like Bernie Leadon, Mike Nesmith - Dirt Band members like John McUen, Jeff Hanna-
    Ry Cooder, David Lindley, Emmylou Harris, et al.

If “membership “ was kept large and loose enough- this could actually work!

fallbreaks and Lightworker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.