Sweetheart of the Rodeo RSD release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monkadee, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkadee

Monkadee Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw they were releasing a 4 LP version with outtakes for RSD this year. Any specifics on the track list, mastering info?

2. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I would say it'll be the 2003 Legacy 2 x CD on vinyl - that's the "first time on vinyl" bit

That CD set has "28 bonus tracks, including demos, outtakes, rehearsal versions and tracks by Parsons’ pre-Byrds outfit, The International Submarine Band."

This blurb is almost word for word the same as on the slip case for the legacy CD

The Byrds, Sweetheart Of The Rodeo: Legacy Edition (4LP 12” Vinyl – First Time On Vinyl)
    By the time Sweetheart Of The Rodeo was released in 1968, The Byrds had already changed the sound of rock music twice; from jangling folk-rock to experimental acid-rock, they constantly sought to push the boundaries of what rock music could be. The 1967 departure of David Crosby left a creative void filled quickly by country music-loving Gram Parsons, whose addition inspired Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman, already steeped in traditional country and bluegrass, to record an album comprised mostly of authentic country material in Nashville, with the aid of local session aces (including future Byrd Clarence White). For the first time on vinyl—and on the heels of a 50th anniversary tour of the album by original members McGuinn and Hillman—this Legacy Edition of Sweetheart Of The Rodeo showcases this country-rock masterpiece alongside 28 bonus tracks, including demos, outtakes, rehearsal versions and tracks by Parsons’ pre-Byrds outfit, The International Submarine Band.

Legacy Recordings Announces Seven Collectible 7" and 12" Vinyl Titles For Record Store Day Black Frida 2018 (Nov. 23)

Monkadee likes this.
  3. Monkadee

Sadly, I think you’re probably right.

4. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Depending on how well it was presented and mastered (and the cost) - I would could still consider it

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Former Lee Warmer and Monkadee like this.
  5. Monkadee

If it’s AAA that would also make a big difference.

6. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

That I would doubt :(

7. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

8. Monkadee

I would doubt it too, unfortunately.

9. Monkadee

Btw, if you get a chance to go to the 50th Anniversary tour, do it! Absolutely mind blowing!

bonus, Grampire, Easy-E and 2 others like this.
  10. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Going in early Dec!

Grampire and Monkadee like this.
  11. Monkadee

We had such a great time we decided to go again to the show in Bristol in early December too!

Grampire likes this.
  12. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Is there enough material for a super deluxe box of this album?

Has that possibility ever been officially mentioned?

bonus and redeyedandblue like this.
  13. Monkadee

Anybody pick this up today? Any info as to the mastering or whether it has stuff not on the cd release?

14. Larry Loves LPs

I just got one on eBay for $80, my shop only had 1 copy.

Not sure if it’s much different than the CD but I love the album so had to get it.

Monkadee likes this.
  15. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Has anyone played this yet? I left my copy sealed until I hear some reviews, but since I already have the Sundazed Sanctuary IV, I’m thinking of just returning it.

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Save your money :righton::cheers:

17. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Don't have this lp. Used to have an original when first came out, got trashed.
    So which one should I purchase the that's the best sound quality? Look for another original? Is the new RSD 4-LP a digital sourced by Vic Anesini?

18. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

I have one on the way from a record store in MI that put their leftovers up online. Got it for $64 shipped. It's one of my very favorite records and, while it doesn't appear (from afar) to contain anything new from the Legacy edition, that seemed like a fair price for me to have this set on vinyl.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  19. Larry Loves LPs

Mine arrived today. I bought mine on eBay for $80 shipped priority. This far, after listening to 2 of the LPs, they are nice pressings. I can’t make out who did the cut but they are pressed at MPO in France.

The records and labels look really nice. The “box” is just a larger cardboard sleeve. The LPs are in paper sleeves. I have no regrets in purchasing it this far.

funknik likes this.
  20. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I think Vic Anesini remastered these in 2003. Same as the Sony Legacy cd. Larry have you listened to these yet?

21. Larry Loves LPs

I did listen to a good bit of it last night. I’m going to listen again closely tonight and I’ll report back. I have a new amp so my ears are still getting used to my new system.

The packaging is nothing to write home about, that’s for sure.

22. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I already have a Columbia original of the album, the Sundazed Mono Int’l Submarine Band, and Sundazed Byrds Sanctuary IV, so the lion’s share of this stuff. That’s why I haven’t opened the deluxe 4LP version, but the original Legacy CD set was my introduction to this music back in 2003, so I do have affection for it.
    Anesini is listed as mixing the tracks on Sundazed’s Sanctuary IV from 2002, mastering credit to Bob Irwin. I wonder if these are the same transfers or what the relationship/source for those recordings is. The new set has everything in one place, which I like, but I’m still hesitant to open it.

23. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

24. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I broke down and bought the 4LP set from a local store that I really need to support more than I have recently. Last thing I needed to do at this point but the reviews convinced me. Packaging is deficient to say the least at this price. (How about a poly lined inner sleeve ?). The MPO pressings are good but not perfect in my case (some nonfill on side B, not a lot but still).

As others have said, it’s really hard to read the mastering initials in the deadwax. Good bet it’s not AAA too. The good news is, maybe none of that really matters. The set sounds great. I have a nice original but I think I may give the Sundazed a try too if I find a descent price.

bonus and Larry Loves LPs like this.
  25. Larry Loves LPs

I still need to compare to my original and my Sundazed versions.

funknik and Mateo Sanboval like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.