Syd Barrett 1971-73 - Twilight of an Idol

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Good read, thanks.
    His "looking for a band" plight just after PF is mildly reminiscent of frail Brian Jones ex-Stones looking for the right guys. FOr better of worse at least Syd got the chance..and might have had a step forward instead of back if they hadn't been opened by the MC5 for gawdsakes! "An evening with Syd" had promise.

I forgot to mention it in a "ealy PF" thread, but Sam Cutler's book "You Can't Always Get What You Want; My life with the Rolling Stones, The Grateful Dead and other wonderful reprobates" also dedicates some pages to Sam and his pal Ron Greesin spending time with early Syd and PF, Ron being a friend and influence to Mason Wright & Waters, Mason & Wright pointing Sam at Blackhill Entreprises (concert promotions), and Nick spending time with Sam producing proto-punk unit Screw at Landsdowne Studios on 13 May 1969.

2. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Thanks Chris, I remember the original article and am looking forward to reading the unexpurgated version...I've printed it out, I can't abide trying to read long pieces on a screen.
    Good of Mark to allow you to do this too.

3. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

thanks very much for sharing. it is an even-handed and revealing piece. not at all sensational like many Barrett pieces.

4. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Another vote of thanks to Chris for posting this, and to praise the article itself. Very interesting, and I didn't find it at all 'sad' - if anything it focuses on a phase of Syd's life/persona that is usually described in over-simplified cliches, and fleshes it out in a positive/favourable way. :righton:

5. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Great details; wonderfully written piece. I had completely forgotten about Twink's having been in Stars! His solo album Think Pink would indicate that he and Syd were definitely kindred spirits, musically speaking, anyway.

6. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Thanks for that.

On some recordings and studio chatter on Opel, Syd sounds very 'luded-out (self medication?). Imagine if he had sensitive management but maybe that's an oxymoron. It's also possible that losing his hair may have played a role in his retreat after 73.

7. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

I really enjoy articles like the one written by Mark Sturdy. It gives insight into Barrett the man, not his rock star image. Rock journalism often borders on the tabloids, with the focus not on the people but on the sensatioinalistic. It can be so disappointing.

Articles such as this are few and far between. Nice to have it brought to the attention of those that missed it the first time around.

8. “Once you’ve opened a certain door into the creative garden, you are always an artist. It’s like being a champion boxer. Even if you only win one fight and win the championship, you’ll always be a champion.”

Very true and something that is missed by those who have never been "in the ring" so to speak. I'll hear criticism about people like Peter Green post-FM and it seems like so few have any idea as to what it really means to be damaged. Who knows what he might have achieved with the proper care (what we know now for example and the improved medications compared to the other stuff from ages ago).

Thanks for sharing Chris. A great article with a sad undercurrent about a talented, damaged person who, perhaps, only had half a life.

9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Thanks for posting this beautiful piece- it succeeds most by not focusing on the cult or persona or image, but shows a glimpse into the humanity of a person like Syd.

I think we often get caught up in the history and minutia of our heroes and sometimes lose sight of the actual person behind the mask, so to speak.

Syd was only a man, troubled and gifted, who was unfortunately saddled with a legacy that someone who did not suffer from mental illness would probably find difficult to live up to. While we often wonder "what if..." or "if only..." perhaps it's best to defer to the man himself and think that he was doing exactly what he wanted by living a quiet life with his close family away from the scrutiny of the world.

10. Thanks for posting this wicked sad story Chris. Syd reminds me of my brother who was also a gifted musician and student who was brought low by mental illness.

11. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

thanks, chris - that was great

have any details on exactly what syd died of been made public? i don't ever remember there being anything definitive announced

and also, was there a memorial service or funeral?

12. muddy810

muddy810 Forum Resident

Wikipedia has a short section concerning his death. It was commonly reported that he died from complications due to diabetes. Wiki states is was Pancreatic Cancer; I hadn't heard that before. They also mention a tribute concert help some 10 months after his death.

13. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

great post Chris. I'd read some of that previously, but not all of it. this is one of my favourite quotes:

:laugh:

14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Great read thanks!

15. SpencerWebb

SpencerWebb Forum Resident

Brilliant article, thanks very much.

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Excellent atricle thanks :)

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Glad you guys liked it. I'll have to tell Mark. Below is the only photo of Syd with Stars that has turned up. Mark looked high and low for photos and this is all that turned up. Jack Monk remembers seeing lots of good quality photos of the band back in the day but they appear to be lost. The recordings of the gigs appear to be lost as well save for a recording of the so called "Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band" which was discovered a few years ago.

Attached Files:

18. reverberationmusic

reverberationmusic Forum Resident

Vegtable man.. where are you? not the best photo but we'll take what we can get, so glad to get that expanded article thanks a bunch (printed it to read later).

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"Shine on, you crazy diamond!"

20. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

love the spalling guys. :)

21. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I've got these visions of someone handing all that stuff over to Syd, and then him later giving it to someone, or using it for one of his bonfires years later...:nauga:

22. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

+1 :righton:

23. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Really enjoyed the article, thanks for posting.

24. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/faq.php?faq=shtv_forumpolicies
    Forum Policies
    Unacceptable Post Content
    Spelling / grammar corrections. If you feel you must correct another member, contact the person via email or though a Private Message. Note: an exception to this rule would be pointing out to someone that they have misspelled an artist's name (for example, Stevie Ray Vaughn instead of the correct Stevie Ray Vaughan); a name correction can be posted on the forum. Still - keep it polite!

25. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

It's great to read an article about Syd that isn't full of "what ifs" and dreams about what could have been... Thanks for posting some facts about this tortured man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.