Symbol on mid-80s CBS Records releases... ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJMurphy, Dec 30, 2006.

1. DJMurphy

DJMurphy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know that someone on the boards will know the answer to this question, either having worked at CBS Records back during the time in question or just knowing. On every CBS Records release from (if memory serves) 1984 to maybe 1990 or so, there was somewhere on the record label/cassette shell/CD face the triangle-inside-a-circle logo. It was never explained, it usually only appeared once (as in, only on side A of the record or tape), and was only on CBS' releases. What gives? What did this symbol mean, when was it started, why was it discontinued?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Mr5D, wrappedinsky and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. bruckner1

bruckner1 New Member

A great question. I've wondered about this myself.

dlokazip likes this.
  3. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

It is the Terre Haute pressing plant code, IIRC.

I am sure W.B. will chime in with more on this.

It has been asked here before as well.

-Aaron

ODShowtime likes this.
  4. DJMurphy

DJMurphy Forum Resident Thread Starter

With that in mind, were there other pressing plants with different codes? I'm in Chicago; it would make sense if my purchases (and CRC purchases as well) would be sourced from Terre Haute, IN. Did Pittman, NJ have its own code?

5. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

I have a lot of CDs pressed in Pitman that have the triangle symbol on them.
    I remember a lot of late '70's, early 80's CBS vinyl pressings that had a starburst symbol on them.

TonyCzar likes this.
  6. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I always thought that symbol was to indicate the A-side(or in the case of promos the plug side) of a release.

TonyCzar likes this.
  7. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

The Star you're Talking about first Appeared on the "Hall Of Fame" series that Columbia put out from the '60's on. (It did not,however,appear on the Series from the '40's to the '50's.) It indicated a "hit record" or "gold record". :love: Michael Boyce

8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I.I.N.M., this symbol was on pressings originating from Carrollton, GA. As to its significance, however, I can't say one way or the other.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

This symbol was put on CBS Records releases after a price increase. This was a flag that indicated higher priced product. This first appeared in 1974.

GentleSenator and rstamberg like this.
  10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The 1974-75 symbol as on 45's by Columbia, Epic and distributed labels, was different from what was on 1980's LP's, cassettes and CD's.

uzn007 likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Don't know the why and wherefore on the 1980's one. I do know that era of CBS LP pressings were a bargain and superb quality pressings. They really improved their LP output then!

Rockboxx and uzn007 like this.
  12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The triangle-in-circle symbol has been used on DADC CD pressings over the years, too. I always assumed it was a symbol for DADC.

McLover likes this.
  13. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

I always thought it was a "play this side" message as well

Front Row likes this.
  14. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I hear you. I have an late 80's pressing of The Hollies Greatest Hits and it sounds fantastic. The vinyl is nice and quiet too.:thumbsup:

15. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

for years there has been a triangle inside of a circle on columbia cd releases. what is it there for, any ideas?

just wondering........:)

Batfish likes this.
  16. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's on the LPs and cassettes as well.Since the early 80s...

wrappedinsky likes this.
  17. rewind1964

rewind1964 Forum Resident

Perhaps it is some satanic thing...sorta like those stars spelling out 666 on the old Protor & Gamble logo! :D
    Seriously, I've wondered about that Columbia triangle "thing" myself.

18. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I always wondered the same thing. I used to work in a record store (Record World chain in New Jersey) and our Columbia rep didn't even know. I remember asking him what that was on all their product and he looked at me like I was nuts to even wonder what it was. Needless to say he didn't know (or wasn't telling).

So to this day I still want to know what it means.

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Wow, I thought I was the only one who wondered that. It was never on their LPs, right? I'm really curious to know. Was it the logo of their manufacturing plant? :confused:

When I was a teen and noticed it on cassettes I was afraid it might be a copy protection thing or something. Remember being young and dumb enough to think a cassette copy of a pre-recorded cassette sounded OK? :laugh:

dan c

20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Was it on the LPs? I suppose you're right, I'll pull out a Billy Joel LP when I get home.

dan c

21. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Here is my theory:

The 'upside down' triangle symbol is the Greek letter Nabla. Nabla means the gradient.

The gradient is the vector field whose components are the partial derivatives of a function F given by (df/dx, df/dy).

Nope, probably not this.....

22. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

Maybe I'm blind, but I just pulled out 10 different Columbia CD's and don't see this.

If this the symbol you see (this is official logo file pulled from Sony's B2B site) it was part of Sony Copy Protection and the back of the CD should tell you what it's compatible with:

Attached Files:

23. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

Do you have a pic?

bleachershane likes this.
  24. I think the OP might mean this ...

Attached Files:

dlokazip, Natvecal., TonyCzar and 5 others like this.
  25. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Who else remembers the star on certain Apple singles and the odd symbol on Columbia 45s from the early 1970s?

Fields&Lanes and Mister Charlie like this.