Symbol on mid-80s CBS Records releases... ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJMurphy, Dec 30, 2006.

1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Mine have it

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=4941782&postcount=49

Sorry for the low quality of the pictures

Attached Files:

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yours looks like it has the same catalouge number as mine: CK 33453. But my copy does not have that symbol anywhere. I could take a picture of mine and post it here, but my picture would be the same quality as your picture I suspect. Does any copy of THE WALL have that symbol?

3. therockman

I think that you just added that picture of THE WALL. Well anyway, your copy of THE WALL has the same catalouge number as mine, but again my copy does not have that symbol.

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yes, my "Wish you were here" copy is CK 33453 too. For what it's worth, matrix says 1B CK33453 25 and CMU P 51

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yes, I added a pic of my copy of "The Wall" too..I added it later because it took a little while to take at least a watchable picture:)

6. therockman

Well, because of these anomolies I do not believe that theory about that symbol representing media that is derived from a digital file. My CD copies of Pink Floyd are obviously derived from digital files, so there must be some more logical explanation for this symbol. I am leaning towards the Carrolton theory myself.

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

My discs have CMU P on matrix, so I believe that my copies are Pitman pressings.

edit : my copies of "Wish.." and Roger Waters' "The Pros and cons of hitch hiking" have the weird symbol and CMU P.

The Wall does not have CMU P on matrix

Sorry for my mistake

8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Ok, let's try to make things better

Pictures taken from the pinkfloydcdscanz website; the copies I have are like these; if you look closely at the "Pros and cons..." CD you'll notice CMU P.
    The weird symbol is on the "Shine on" box compact discs too..just look at the right of the "E" letter on the "A saucerful secrets" CD (or if you have a copy at home you can double check yourself! The colour is not always the same on all "Shine on" discs though; an example: on the "Dark Side" included in the "Shine on" box the "weird symbol" is yellow)

Attached Files:

9. Considering that Sony doesn't make CDs at Carrolton, GA, but in Terre Haute, IN (DADC) and Pitman, NJ (SDM), this would not make sense.

Also, that Pink Floyd/Momentary Lapse of Reason in the preceding post was made by Victor-JVC, probably in USA (JVC DIsc America) and it has the weird symbol.

10. therockman

Makes sense to me. I for one do not believe the obviously silly theory regarding the symbol indicating that the media has been sourced from a digital file; there are just too many examples of Columbia CDs that do not have that symbol on them. And if I am not mistaken, all CDs are sourced from a digital file. By the way, none of my Bob Dylan Columbia CDs have that symbol, and I bought them all at Wal Mart.

11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

My only theory is that this symbol was just placed on Columbia CD's manufactured into a given timeline..say 1987-1995 ( just supposing here..).
    The CD's in my possession surely are not early pressings.
    So those of you that have these titles without the weird symbol maybe bought them in the early 80's.
    This could explain why the symbol is present, as someone said before, on Mariah Carey's CD's and whose debut dates back from 1990

12. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It has nothing to do with Tri-Star, as their triangle is the other way around.

It means "play this side first".

13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

If it was adopted in the mid 80s it would still make sense. I know for absolutely certain that my "Wall" and "Wish You Were Here" were early pressings since I bought them in 1986. I just checked all my Columbia CDs (aside - I'm surprised what a small percentage of my collection is on Columbia labels). All the CDs between around 1987 through some time in the early 90s, around 1994, have this symbol. The only exception is the Stranglers album "All Live And All Of The Night". It is only on USA releases. None of my imports (few that they are) have the symbol.

This symbol is no longer on Columbia affiliate labels. Of the older CDs, only a handful of the very first CDs I ever got after buying my first CD player in 1986 do not have the symbol. I should go through my vinyl looking now...... :)

Yes, it is silly to indicate that a CD was made from a digital file. Just like the last "D" in the old "AAD/DDD/ADD" indicators was silly. It's not the first time nor will it be the last that record companies would do something silly like this. Since it's also on pre-recorded tapes and vinyl it's possible that they just put it on everything as a rule.

I would love a definitive answer to this question. I've often wondered what that symbol was for also.

elvissinatra likes this.
  14. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

It's on just about all my records from the period as well.

15. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

I just checked my copies of Blonde On Blonde & Blood On The Tracks, they both have the symbol on them. However, the remaster of Blood On The Tracks (SACD) does not have the symbol. I would guess you have newer pressings, hence no symbol.

16. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

wow, a thread i started is onto it's sixth page? i'm flattered!

17. therockman

I've been flattened before, it is no big deal.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  18. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Nothing new to add but, it's on my copy of Bruce Springsteen's Greatest Hits from 1995.

19. therockman

I actually would be very interested in finding out the CORRECT answer. There are several theories floeating around on this thread, and all seem credible in their own way, but which theory is right. And if it does have something to do with plant location or digital source, why is it only on some titles and not on others? If it does have to do with digital source, then what years and plant locations used the symbol? I know the answer is out there.

20. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Oh... my Japan for US CK33453 copy of Pink Floyd's WISH YOU WERE HERE has.. "THE SYMBOL"..

21. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Shhhh... I think it has to do with Freemasons.
    "Say no more (I can say no more)".

22. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

This sounds plausible, though to have it on tapes, and then CD's so many years later would make it archaic and outdated.

23. therockman

My copy of WISH YOU WERE HERE is the very rare US for US pressing; it is the ultra-domestic version that was common in the 1990s.

24. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

It might just be an insignia to identify it as CBS/Sony product.

25. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

It's on side 1 only of my vinyl copy of King of America - The (Elvis) Costello Show. I guess that's around 1986 or so...