Symbol on mid-80s CBS Records releases... ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJMurphy, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Where there's one roach there's two:
    [​IMG]

Rage Against the Machine Evil Empire LP. Not on the CD though.

Gems-A-Bems and c-eling like this.
  2. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Wow! I actually looked through a bunch of Evil Empire entries on Discogs but didn't see that one. Nice find. We may never know what the symbol means, but it's fun finding strange anomalies (post 95 sightings, WEA CDs with the symbol, etc.)

c-eling likes this.
  3. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Check out those credits :laugh:

rxcory and Robert C like this.
  4. Mr Bass

Well, the symbol is consistently applied from 1985 through 1992. Starting in 1993 it become increasingly sporadic. I just cannot see a common thread between the 1993 and forwards symbol albums.

rburly and John Porcellino like this.
  5. morgan1098

Galley likes this.
  6. Mr Bass

Here's an odd one : Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round 1997 on sleeve but 1985 on mid 90s era label.

[​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  7. Mr Bass

Yeah I would be suspicious of provenance here. Might have just photocopied it from somewhere.

8. morgan1098

There seems to be a series of these Argentinian promo CDs with two artists. Maybe they're jukebox CDs? Here's one from... 1998!!! Bootleg or no, someone thinks it's valuable because this copy is on Discogs for $100.

[​IMG]

9. Mr Bass

Laurnea - Can't Let Go. Here's another 1997 vinyl on Epic with symbol. CD does not have one. It appears on promo and 12" stock vinyl.

What is odd is that vinyl promos seemed the first to lose the symbol in 1993 and yet seem the last to lose it in 1997.

[​IMG]

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I think someone released a Record Store Day release this past year with the symbol. It could've been Cypress Hill.

c-eling likes this.
  11. Mr Bass

Well here in the US it is not legal to use promos commercially so I don't think it is a jukebox issue .

12. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Their “Mixed Masters” edition of this release had the symbol, too (plus UPC)

13. Gems-A-Bems

Yes, Cypress Hill’s 2015 RSD single had the symbol. It’s the only instance of the symbol appearing on a seven-inch that I have seen (plus it appears on both sides).

Their 2013 Black Sunday 2LP also has the symbol and follows the “rules” with it appearing on sides 1 and 3.

Also, Beastie Boys’ Licensed To Ill 2016 LP has the symbol on both sides.

14. Mr Bass

Found another Epic vinyl promo with symbol in 1998. Point of Grace - Steady On Dance remix.

[​IMG]

15. Mr Bass

I would suspect photocopying of originals from 1985.

16. Gems-A-Bems

Despite some similarities they’re differently designed labels.

17. Mr Bass

You would have to talk to the people who worked on the label. It was very consistent in the 1985-92 period that only one side of a vinyl record got the symbol. I think it's a safe bet that Sony didn't require it in 2016.

Edit: Looking at 1998 the symbol really becomes rare on Epic and Columbia CD or vinyl. I could only find the one example.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  18. Gems-A-Bems

Of course. I don’t know that the album even has any Sony connection in 2016.

19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Argentinian releases can be a bit sloppy with the artwork. Maybe Sony Music sent out some artwork, including the symbol, and it got incorporated in the release?

20. Mr Bass

Beastie Boys came out on CBS so I think Sony has the rights whether or not they licensed a third party.

21. Mr Bass

They avoided doing that between 1985 and 1997 for non US sales but anything is possible.

22. Gems-A-Bems

Only because Def Jam was distributed by CBS at the time. The 21st century has been a mess with regard to labels.

Mr Bass likes this.
  23. morgan1098

I have found a few more on Discogs like this... they do seem to be legitimate Sony Argentina releases. There's one for Alice in Chains "MTV Unplugged" (1996) for example, with the symbol. Same generic blue face. I have no idea what to make of these. At least the Alice in Chains disc is actually something that was released in the US, but those 2-track, 2-artist discs don't even have a US counterpart.

Edit: There are tons of these, but I'm guessing the symbol just accidentally found its way on there from Sony US. I'll stop posting photos after this one: a Shakira disc from 2000!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Dave S and Mr Bass like this.
  24. Mr Bass

Three brontosauruses and a thousand gnats.

25. Mr Bass

It's possible the Argentines mistakenly thought it was a trademark symbol.

It's quite possible that no one currently at Sony knows what the symbol means haha.

morgan1098 likes this.