Symbol on mid-80s CBS Records releases... ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJMurphy, Dec 30, 2006.

1. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

It's only on the side one of all of my CBS albums that it appears on.

2. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

It appears on both discs of "The Wall" - yes?
    So much for the "play this side first" theory.

3. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Is it a symbol for a Union that was employed by Sony/CBS? Much like the Capitol pressings that had the "IAM" triangle?

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I can see that.

5. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

My US Columbia Records CD of Pink Floyd's Early Singles has the aforementioned mark of the beast.

6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Maybe "this side up" or "this side out" in the case of a cassette?

7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Not really. It's on a per-disc basis. Or WAS, until the cassette tapes. Per-medium, if you wish. I think it was only nostalgia that led it to be put it on ANY CDs in the first place.

I also think it is a stylized stylus, by the way, besides signifying which side to play first.

alainsane likes this.
  8. LLP7

LLP7 Active Member

Here is another twist:

I have the MALFUNKSHUN "Return To Olympus" CD from 1995, label is Loosegroove a sub. of Sony Music. Manufactured by 550 Music/Epic.

Has "the symbol" on the disc.

Disc matrix: 3A BK66657 04

[​IMG]

9. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

That would make it a corporate logo of sorts. There is never any copyright/trademark marks or notations associated with it. It never appears on the packaging, just the label. Would an entertainment company have a special insignia for their family of products, that you had to purchase and unwrap the package to even see? Sounds unlikely.

10. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

I find it interesting that with all the music industry people on this site no one has given a definitive answer yet. I am assuming of course that this symbol is not just arbitrarily chosen and printed on the products. There has to be an answer :wave:

11. therockman

This is so true. I would have thought that within a couple of posts, the definitive answer would have been given.

12. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It HAS been given, people just don't want to accept it. Much like the "(supposed) end of Rhino records" thread.

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

For those of us that missed the definitive answer, please post a link to the post.

thanks

14. therockman

Yes, please. And it better not have anything to do with some silly theory about digital files because we have found too many examples of Columbia CDs that were manufactured between 1985 and 1995 that do not have that symbol, and I believe that all CDs are derived from a digital file.

15. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

This is an enigma; a mystery wrapped in a riddle ;)

16. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Update...I heard back from my Carrollton friend yesterday. He worked for CBS/Sony for about 23 years, including tenures at the Milford, CT R&D facility; the Pitman, NJ plant; and the Terre Haute plant before moving to Carrollton GA to set up the new CBS plant which opened in January 1981, with the first product shipping a few months later. Over the years he held numerous supervisory positions at that facility. In 1995 when they began to make CDs, he became Supervisor of CD Manufacturing, and remained at that position until the plant closed its manufacturing operations in 2001.

Yesterday he got in touch with several other former CBS employees to see what they remembered. There seems to be some uncertainty about the details among them as well, but it's a royalty issue.

Artists' contracts usually provide different royalty rates for recordings released through alternate forms of distribution. Some of these include rentals, direct merchandising, record clubs, military-only, ect. The symbol was only used on standard retail copies. There was no clear consensus about the exact dates, or whether only certain plants used the symbol. There may be some additional information on the way. I'll be sure to post any updates.

elvissinatra likes this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Please show us these CDs, scans please.

18. therockman

Wow, thank you. That is very cool. :cheers:

19. therockman

I will try to do so, but why if we already have the answer. A scan of several dozen of my CDs will not have any effect on the answer that was just given regarding the royalties issue. :help:

20. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Well, well well. Very interesting!

Something interesting that I did not mention in my earlier post: I did NOT see this symbol on any of the promotional CDs from Columbia that I have from this period. I only have three or four of these CDs. They are "singles" from Bruce Cockburn and Kate Bush which were issued as promotional singles only; they were not issued as mass market singles. I got them at a used LP/CD store which often had promotional cast-offs. The CDs I looked at did not have the symbol on them. I didn't think anything of it since there were so few of them and I figured that all bets were off on labelling of promotional items.

Edit: Come to think of it.... I think I remember a 12" single from The Stranglers which is marked "PROMOTIONAL NOT FOR SALE" that does have the symbol.... I'll double check later.....

Note: most "record club" CDs and LPs would probably be excluded from royalty as well, so CRC record club issues theoretically may not display the symbol either.

21. therockman

Makes sense with the new royalty theory. Of course this might not be defenitive or conclusive, but at least we have another theory that competes with the theories regarding the different pressing plants and locations. The only theory that was a non-starter had to do with the media that bears that symbol being sourced from a digital file of some kind.

22. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

I have some promos with the symbol, and some without it. The symbol would have no significance on promos because they are non-returnable items, and don't accrue royalty payments for the artists anyway.

It's during the returns process that items with and without the symbol become a factor for the accounting department. They know how many items were manufactured and shipped for standard retail issue, and how many were manufactured and shipped for alternative distribution. But the returns also have to be processed into individual credit/debit accounts to keep the payments straight. The symbol is only one factor among several to help identify an item's history.

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It's Mitch Miller's revenge.....the digital equivalent of a "thumbs down" for Rock!

Evan

24. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Area 51. Where's my tinfoil hat that I will wear when listening to any Columbia release. Every Columbia release played backward sounds like Andy Williams.

25. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

LOL...no we will get into that when we start trying to discover why they chose that particular symbol instead of something else. :D