System upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LibrarianOfDoom, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LibrarianOfDoom

LibrarianOfDoom Active Member Thread Starter

This is my first post, but I'm a long time reader of the forums. Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers sometime next year. I'd appreciate advice and/or suggestions for speakers that are likely to have good synergy in my system. I'd like to keep my budget under $2k U.S. and I'm only interested in buying new equipment. My room size is approximately 15ft. x 15 ft.with a 9ft high ceiling. My system is used exclusively for listening to vinyl and my tastes are eclectic (metal, rock, jazz, etc.).

My current set-up includes:

Technics SL1200GR turntable
    Ortofon Bronze cartridge
    Lounge Audio LRC MKIII phono pre-amp
    Vincent Audio SA-31 pre-amp
    NuForce STA200
    Polk 60 floor standing speakers
    Blue Jeans Cable Canare 4S11 bi-wired speaker wires

2. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Get you some Polk LSiM 707 floor standing speakers NOW, while they are literally giving them away, in Mt. Vernon Cherry! Call Audorama and do it quickly, they will be gone soon. :edthumbs:

3. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Aside from your musical tastes, what are some of the reasons you're looking to upgrade for? If you really like your Polks, the natural progression seems to be to move up to the LSiM 707s that Litejazz suggested. But if you're looking for a more different approach/sound signature then consider very efficient speakers that would allow you to move into low powered tube amps, such as single driver Omega, Zu or even vintage Klipsch or open baffles.

The Pinhead and Litejazz53 like this.
  4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

After you purchase the Polk LSiM 707 speakers, let me suggest one more upgrade, and you do not have to jump into this upgrade, however when you make this upgrade, your system will simply be in another dimension!
    Purchase not one, but (2) SVS-SB1000 powered subs in the Steinway black finish, one for the left channel and one for the right channel, your system will not only sound like a million dollars, but it will look beautiful as well! :righton:

5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Cartridge or speakers imo.

6. LibrarianOfDoom

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I will not be purchasing speakers until the new year and all of my equipment is black and silver, but I'll add these to my list for consideration.

7. LibrarianOfDoom

Thanks for the suggestion and question. My desire to upgrade is primarily due to my speakers being a weak link in my system. I've heard better sound from speakers in systems with similar components. The Polk 60's aren't terrible, but I'm confident I can improve the sound in my system by upgrading my speakers. Other than replacing the cartridge or stylus I'd like to upgrade my speakers and stop. I have no plans to continously upgrade. I'm happy with my deck and amps.

beowulf likes this.
  8. LibrarianOfDoom

Recommendations for either?

9. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

For speakers no, save your dough a bit more, or diy.

For phono goodness, although $244 over your budget, I can highly recommend these items. Had to throw in a great phono stage to go with since yours does not support MC carts.

SPL Phonos phono stage $1799
    AT OC9 iii $445
    Total $2244

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  10. LibrarianOfDoom

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep this in mind should I decide to upgrade my phono stage and switch my cart to an MC. For now, I'm only considering upgrading my speakers.

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The Polks are terrific, but deffo need more juice than the 85wpc you got. I'd look for Klipsch floorstanders to make that rock and metal justice. My receiver is 80wpc and sometime my records use almost all the power it can produce to achieve 85dbs peaks (A-weighted) at 10 feet from the speakers, in a 12X13 living room, with Klipsch towers, so I guess the Polks wouldn't cut it, and their bass would absolutely overpower my room. Of course, YMMV.

12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Interesting - OP already has an Ort Bronze which is nothing to gripe about. I'm not sure with that you are going to get a 2200$ jump in amazement. In my experience carts are very subtle.

I could be wrong.

13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Hard to recommend anything - are you wanting others to spec out your system? Isn't there any direction you want to go in? Ex tubes? Favorite brands? This hobby is about great sound and also great gear - what do you consider great gear?

My guess is that speakers will make the most benefit- you are in LA - so you should have no probably at all auditioning some really great speakers. I'd go that direction - then likely you will need a much better amp than whatcha got.

I'd go big - but over time - ex 2-3K speakers - then when the money comes around - another 2-3K on an Amp or Integrated.

Best of luck!

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Speakers.

Go used (new speakers instantly depreciate 30-50%), and save up to buy the best ones you can. Check out Audiogon.

15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

In my experience would be a very large jump in both cart and phono stage. I had the 2M Black for a bit. Not close.

16. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Sorry bout that. My poor comprehension skills thought you were looking for any upgrade ideas from your list.

My apologies.

17. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

Just a thought, you might be able to improve your listening experience with free speaker tweaks.
    Sumiko speaker setup protocol thread from about 10 years ago.

18. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I just wanna jump in here and recommend the JBL L100 Classics before the JBL L100 Classics guy does.

Helom likes this.
  19. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

My suggestion, before you do anything, read Get Better Sound by Jim Smith. Follow as many of his tips as you can, especially his guidance for speaker placement. If your experience is anything like mine, it will improve the sound quality of your current system. You may still want new speakers, but you may decide to put your money somewhere else.

gguy and waaguirr like this.
  20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Sure - I still wouldn't recommend over 2K for a phono and cart as an improvement - that would be way down on the list.

21. I know it's not sexy per se, but.....

Take a long look at acoustical treatment(s). One of the biggest bang for the buck improvements you can make. I don't know anything about your room except the dimensions, but there are usually several issues with any room that can be addressed with absorption and diffusion used correctly.

The biggest change in any system is to work on speaker/room interaction though placement and treatments.

PopularChuck likes this.
  22. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

The Polk 60s are probably holding you back more than anything else in your system. I picked up a set of JBL Studio 590 speakers on a whim a couple years ago because they were on sale for 50% off. I highly recommend these. They were designed by world class speaker designer Greg Timbers before he left JBL. Lots of excellent reviews out there. I also have a pair of Polk Monitor II 70s in my home theater setup that do not hold even a small candle to the JBLs. JBL runs them on sale for 50% off periodically and are on sale again right now for $499 each. In my experience, bargains like this are not that common for speakers this good. They are plenty efficient so your amp should drive them without issue. However, the more power you feed these, the better they sound. I am running a 500wpc amp on mine with outstanding results.

23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I think I got it, thanks!

24. LibrarianOfDoom

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some research regarding the relationship between my amp and speakers. I'll also add Klipsch towers to my list of speakers to consider.

The Pinhead likes this.
  25. LibrarianOfDoom

I really dig the Ortophon Bronze. It is definitely a good match with my system.

rebellovw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.