SYZYGY Sub-Woofers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RiCat, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone heard any of these models speakers. The sub or not to sub question still lingers for me. There are no dealers near me so I was thinking maybe a forum member has listened to them at a show or store they have been to. Thanks

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Why that particular brand ? Because they're wireless ?

3. RiCat

Hi Wax,
    I have been in the sub hunt a while. I have on my short list Rythmik, REL and SVS. I have almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Rythmic's. The interest here is multiple. I have a large well furnished room and a designer wife. We have no wires as I have pulled them down under floors and through walls as needed. I built this house through two extensive renos. I like the idea of wire free (REL offers the LongBow as well). This is a nice feature but it is the sound that is foremost. One big asset is the built in DSP. My current system is not lacking for our musical enjoyment. The issue with subs is always integration. There are many ways to deal with this; simple tweaks till you like the sound, external DSP, extensive frequency sweeps and room treatments... I have been enjoying musical reproduction since pre stereo days and am secure in knowing what I am looking for if I add subs to the system. It is the 40hz-20hz (approx.) range that I want the system to have more energy in. I have been in contact with the companies being considered and have gathered a fair bit of info. on the products. Because of room size, furnishings and the limited places these subs can go, I am definitely leaning to having to use some sort of sweep/dsp to get what I want. Interestingly I have been assured by each "brand" that I can purchase their product and use it for 30 days as trial with full return and refund if asked for. Since this is a "new" product I am hoping some fellow member has given a listen somewhere.

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

syzygy
    1. : the nearly straight-line configuration of three celestial bodies (such as the sun, moon, and earth during a solar or lunar eclipse) in a gravitational system.

5. RiCat

Brief update. I wrote to Princeton Technologies (the companies actual name) for additional information. My request was intercepted by Paul Egan who is the President of the company. We exchanged six emails and he was informative and accommodating to my inquiries. The result is that I have ordered a pair of their SLF870 subs. Once setup and running I will tell you what I think about them.

wgb113 likes this.
  6. RiCat

They arrive tomorrow. New toys are a man's best friend...sometimes.

SamS likes this.
  7. RiCat

The pair of subs are in my living room, powered up, and connected by their WiFi link to the main system. I have run their DSP tuning sequence and am in the process of listening to music. Initial setting is low pass at 45Hz. I have run a few basic sweeps to get close to ideal gain matching. Phase and delay adjustments seem ok for now. About 25 hrs of break in are recommended so I have lots of listening to do.

wgb113 likes this.
  8. RiCat

Wife said it all..."what I hear is everything goes deeper and fuller. Play some more stuff and let's have a drink."

davidb1, Gumboo and wgb113 like this.
  9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Does she have an unmarried sister? Inquiring minds want to know...

As for the subwoofers, why the @#$%$ does their website make me wait 100 seconds to view anything?!?!? SO dumb.
    ...OK, actually, tell the President their website SUCKS, it takes forever to load stuff and I can't even see all the products because they get cut off by some explanatory deal. Sheesh! I hope they sound better than the website looks! Which did you get and how much?

10. RiCat

I am using a pair of SLF 870. Yes the web page sucks. Paul (Egan-Pres.) knows this and is on the list of things to do. He is a great guy and called me to be sure the subs were delivered OK and gave me a hand on the phone setting the pair up. I will be speaking to him soon and will pass your comments on to him. Wife's sister is well probably not what you would want to be involved with rofl. We have about 6 hours listening time now and we are happy with the results. My mains are solid to 40Hz and roll off down to about 35Hz. I have set the low pass up to 50Hz as it rolls off sharply. This is giving me the extension in the 20Hz to 40Hz I was looking for. The subs can be adjusted via a phone/tablet app. So we can sit, listen and teak without leaving the couch. There is a mute "switch" on the app. and this gives "instant" AB comparison. Give the frequency range I am using the effects are subtle and only noticed when the program material has music in that range. Now that we have them pretty much where we want them in terms of setup, we will start critical listening with a wide variety of music.

11. RiCat

A final update as the subs have been in use for quite a few hours and we have integrated them to our liking. The setup of the speakers has been changed for the better. The mains have been moved from the previous "corner with toe in (about 24" from side wall and toed in to point at the center of the prime listening seat)" to a no toe in and about a foot more off the sides in towards the center with the subs about 6" off the mains on their inside side. This has given us a wider sound stage with less directional effects at the corners. Prime listening area is maybe a bit wider and overall a more natural "stage" presentation. Surprising as the subs are set with crossover at 40Hz. So their working range is from 20Hz - 40Hz with sharp roll off above that as the mains are capable for the rest. The provided internal DSP is the best. With the help of a audiophile friend or two we tried to improve on it with a variety of manual adjustments. We were not able to better improve the sound and integration of the DSP. There is not a lot of primary music in the 40-20Hz range. However besides the visceral feel it in your body there is a definite major improvement in the balance of the bass frequency ranges. When playing music that is very bass obvious the differences are more dramatic as expected. The subs employ a WiFi wireless connection for the feed from preamp to sub amplifiers. This signal is 100% analogue. At this point I would 100% recommend the subs to anyone looking to fill out or extend the bass range of their system.

wgb113 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.