T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach 2015, high-end stereo show, on right now!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DPM, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend a Friday only visit for a noob, but a guy who's made more than one show is likely to be able to adapt. Besides, there's an industry day on Thursday this year. Most of the rooms will have an extra day to work the kinks out before the hordes descend on Friday.

2. kfringe

Look on the bright side. You can be the keeper of unwritten mysteries. Doesn't that way of thinking about it sound more fun?

raferx likes this.
  3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It's quite fascinating to go on the first day, and then revisit on the last day - some good knowledge can be gained when you can talk to the presenters and find out what they did, and you can test your audio memory (always fun).

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Break in?

I really need to get down there this year. I keep saying I'm going to go and never make it. It's a bit of a haul from Ventura, but I'm sure it's worth it. Are there any good deals to be had at the event? I used to find great bargains the big audio show in Bangkok. I found a great deal on a demo California Audio Labs CD player -- which I passed along to a friend before moving back home.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. Sunday definitely has the best sound as well as the smallest crowds. The problem is that many of the vendors seem a bit "burned out" by then (and I don't blame them). Some are starting to break down the rooms at around 2. I remember Can Jam from a couple years back at RMAF seemed more than half empty by that time.

Wish I could go all three days as usual, but there's a conflict this year and Friday only was the best I could swing. :(

6. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

I'll be in Room 1010.

raferx likes this.
  7. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

I enjoy music through a pair of Tocaro 42E's driven by a Shindo Masseto/Cortese. I love the sound - listen mostly to post-Ornette jazz but also some Americana folk/bluegrass/Old-Timey derived music.

utahusker likes this.
  8. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Sounds like an awesome combination. I have a few amps in the house so I'll try a variety to get a handle on what the speakers can do. Do you only listen to acoustic music? I listen to a fair bit and I'm comfortable the Tocaro's will handle that well, but I'm concerned they won't handle rock.

9. Metralla

Extremely nice. Do you have a photo?

10. David Cope

Industry day. What a crock. If more than 3 people cross my threshold that day, I'll eat . . . lunch.

11. Metralla

Interesting comment

ceynon likes this.
  12. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

Joe,

The reason that I included my listening preferences is because I feel I am not qualified to opine on rock recordings where power is a priority - neither can I comment on large scale orchestral music. But the Shindo/Tocaro combo never loses the musical flow during Bitches Brew, the densest of Anthony Braxton's or Roscoe Mitchell's music, or Ornette's double quartet on Free Jazz. Steve Lacy's music and David Murray's octets sing through the Shindo/Tocaro combination. The closest I come to rock are the Beatles mono reissues, the Band's first two lps, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison and Joni Mitchell. So, I did not want someone to think that I am qualified to say how more driving power rock records would sound on my system.

Charles

Geoff, If I can figure out how to attach a picture of my system, I will.

Jtycho likes this.
  13. kfringe

Speaking as one of those three people, that extra day is probably the difference between covering most of the show and going home without hearing most of the show.

raferx and ceynon like this.
  14. Lunch between 2 and 8pm?

15. kfringe

Are you guys with tables supposed to be set up, too? Because that sounds like a recipe for boredom. I'd definitely bring some nerf to toss.

16. Metralla

I like your taste in music.

Jtycho likes this.
  17. I'm setting up. Good time to check the lay of the land and exactly what the tables can hold.

18. kfringe

I'll look forward to seeing you there. I can't wait to hear your setup.

19. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

See you there!

David Cope likes this.
  20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I am always interested in high sensitivity speakers, so you definitely piqued my interest (though I don't believe a spec of 103 dB sensitivity)

21. The Happy Organ awaits!

kfringe likes this.
  22. kfringe

Best. Song. Ever.

morinix likes this.
  23. David Cope

Doing 10 shows per year for 13 years, I'm confident I have a fair perspective on shows. NO industry day I've ever experienced has EVER produced anything beyond 2-3 journalists doing a 500 mph fly-by to figure out what they want to listen to later in the weekend.

Stereophile seems to agree; I understand they're not showing up until Friday.

24. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Just the 45E's are 103db. I think the 40E's are 97db.

25. Metralla

Thanks for expanding on your comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.