T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach 2015, high-end stereo show, on right now!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DPM, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPM

DPM Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, it's May and T.H.E. Show Newport Beach 2015 is just a few weeks away. It's relocated to bigger digs this year, but not far from the previous location.

I plan on attending even though I'm not in the market for any new gear presently. I'll probably attend more of the seminars this year, and I'll certainly be checking out the vendor tables for some music. I also plan to make a Sunday side trip to Hollywood to spend a few hours in Amoeba.

So, anyone here planning on checking out T.H.E. Show this year?

http://theshownewport.com

2. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Yep, I should be there. Haven't dialed in on the specific rooms I want to focus on, but glad THE Show is one hotel this year.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'll be there, weekend..

4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Steve, are you giving any presentations or participating in any discussion panels?

5. Steve Hoffman

No, just having fun.

6. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

I'm at least planning to drink in the bar.

7. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I'll be there on Friday.

8. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

I'll be there with 8 hrs of jet lag in tow after spending a week in the UK following the Munich shows.

klonk, raferx and Brother_Rael like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

David, will you be in a room or just walking around? I didn't see AN on the list..

10. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

If anyone has the time check out Tocaro speakers courtesy of Austin HiFi. Tocaro's are descendants of Rehdeko's, and like Rehdeko's they're known for being either loved or loathed. I'm fascinated by them and actually have a pair coming for home demo next week. I'm curious to know what anyone here thinks. They have an extremely honest and lifelike sound, but they're so different from typical audiophile speakers that they turn many people off upon first listen. Give them a shot!

http://www.austinhifi.com/tocaro.html

beowulf likes this.
  11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Tocaro - not a brand I know, but they look very interesting and would suit my system (I have 18w SETs)

12. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Maybe. Believe it or not they're generally mated to higher power SS - specifically Crimson Electronics or DNM. It's been suggested to me that low powered tube amps don't help accentuate their strengths. I don't have the experience with them to verify that.

13. Lounge will be there spinning vinyl, booth C10. MM and MC preamps will be auditioned through headphones.

ThorensSme, beowulf and kfringe like this.
  14. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

I've got your MKIII and love it! Trying to attend...

morinix likes this.
  15. Metralla

Not surprising since that's what Austin sell.

A much better brand than Crimson at a higher price - I admire Dennis Morecroft's work.

103dB/w/m sensitivity. I wonder why they would not suit my Lamms.

16. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

It's true Austin does sell Crimson, and although I don't personally know them they really don't seem like the type that do this JUST to make a profit. I mean their suggested power cord is 8 bucks. They also suggest no power conditioner with Crimson. I think they're more in the vain of High Water Sound and Amherst Audio, which is they sell what they have come to love, not what will maximize profit. Of course I could be wrong.

In what ways is DNM a much better brand than Crimson? I haven't heard DNM so I can't comment. Have you compared them? I do know Austin HiFi was once the importer for both but ended up preferring Crimson.

They could absolutely work wonders with your Lamm amps.

17. Metralla

I'm not surprised they went with Crimson over DNM. The DNM range probably just does not appeal to as many audiophiles and does not seem like good value with the minimalist approach they take. People probably wonder where the money goes. The DNM pre-amp is the only one I have heard at any length, and I was very impressed by the sound. But it's not just that; I have a lot of time for the DNM strategies and design. Denis has been around for a very long time and has worked with the same paradigms - minimal metal, plastic cases, reduction of EM effects. There is a philosophy that appeals to me.

Crimson is a company that has grown up from more budget/mid market offerings to try to be more upscale, and I have only heard their amps from years ago. They were pretty sparse at that time. Perhaps they have found their way now, but I don't know the engineering team behind it, so it's just an opinion.

I have not compared them.

I looked again at the Austin site, and read some of the background material. I can see the recommendation for more power than I have, despite the sensitivity of the loudspeakers. I am sure Austin have experimented and know what they are talking about.

Jtycho likes this.
  18. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Yes I have to agree it's curious how Crimson went from low budget to high budget so quickly.

I also agree that DNM's philosophies seem sound and I actually quite like the look of their gear. Whether or not it's a good value I can't say.

19. Metralla

Thank you for your response.

Jtycho likes this.
  20. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Of course! I'll start a new thread on Tocaro when they arrive.

21. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

Hmmm... Guess I'd better contact Richard Beers. We are exhibiting. I'm not flying to L.A. To walk around.

raferx likes this.
  22. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Thanks for bringing the Tocaro to my attention as I've never heard of them before, but they look quite interesting. Yes please give some feedback on them.

Are they going to replace any speakers in your profile such as the T&F or Harbeth or are you just adding another one to the stable?

23. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

I've been on a bit of a merry-go-round over the past two years, but I'm trying to end that. The Harbeth's already went back. That's the second time I've tried Harbeth in my life and the second time that ultimately, they didn't satisfy me. I appreciate what they do, and I'd say it's more me than them, but in my house with my gear they just don't cut it. The T&F's are going to stay.

beowulf likes this.
  24. I'll be there on Friday this time. I've been there all 3 days in the past which was enough time to take in everything, and then check out my favorite rooms again on Sunday.

Going to have to narrow things down this time around or it's going to be a true blur.

25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

the problem with going only Friday is that it is likely many rooms will not sound their best. IME there can be a pretty dramatic change (for the better) between Fri and Sunday (which is almost always the best single day to attend).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.