T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I've got 'The Best Of T. Rex' on the UK Fly label. The songs are acoustic and dated 1968 - 1970, so perhaps naming the album 'The Best Of Tyrannosaurus Rex' would have been more accurate? It's a pretty good album which I really enjoy when I'm in the mood for some 'hippie-starchild-folky' stuff.

Anyway, here's what's probably the best known track on the album....

The erm, far out lyrics are fun....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Ryan_Pretzel and googlymoogly like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

So grey or whatever area releases now count as official studio albums? Wow. We've come a long way:righton:

T.Rex
    Electric Warrior
    The Slider
    Tanx
    Zinc Alloy
    Bolan's Zip Gun
    Futuristic Dragon
    Dandy In The Underworld

That's the official T.Rex discography. All of 'em electric.:goodie:

dvcarrick likes this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Electric Warrior, The Slider and Tanx are the best of the bunch (imo).

4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I used to have this, but the fake audience sounds got on my nerves.

Darryl

dkurtis likes this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Never liked his hippy dippy bongo stuff.

6. Chris Schoen

Flo and Eddie must have had a great time doing the backing vocals.

Rekkerds, 3Dman, Opeth and 3 others like this.
  7. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

@greelywinger, I'm, curious. I see you as one of the two biggest T. Rex fan here at SHTV with your amazing Bolan collection. I've read others' opinions, but how do you perceive the sound quality of this vinyl reissue compating all the others (vinyl and cd)?

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I still need to find a time to sit down & listen to it on my headphones. I don't however have a UK Fly copy to compare it to.
    I do have the US Reprise & the German Cube.

Darryl

Echo likes this.
  9. I have a Fly compilation LP, "Flyback: T.Rex", and I wonder if it has the same tracks as what you mention here... only paid $1 for it from the used bin so I had to pick it up. Can't say that I've ever listened to it more than just a few time though. The song "Debora" has a big part in the recent movie Baby Driver - which I thought was cool! (And they give lots of love to Atlanta)

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  10. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

You're splitting hairs a bit, aren't you? Is it really too far a stretch for one to say that Tyrannosaurus Rex and T. Rex are the same basic gig with a different aesthetic (essentially vehicles for Marc Bolan's songwriting and performance)? The folk-hippie stuff had entirely legit releases prior to Bolan shifting his focus. Nothing grey market or unofficial about the acoustic stuff. o_O

e.s., Stu02, chacha and 1 other person like this.
  11. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

Good review. I probably still slightly prefer UK, but the new one is legit. I think the guitar sounds boss.

e.s. and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I just went on the Barnes and Noble website and the only copy of electric warrior listed has a release date of 2014?

13. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Looove Debora. One of Marc's greatest songs imo, and when they used it in Baby Driver I was more than pleased. Lots of great melodies going on in that one

14. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

click on 'see all formats and editions' under the $4.99 cd listing and you get a link to the new LP. Weird it doesn't come up in the search results.

richbdd01 likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Tyrannosaurus Rex and T.Rex are "the same basic gig"? Ooooh, you should tell Steve Took that. Just don't offer him a cocktail:evil:

bob60 likes this.
  16. Neonbeam

I think all are good to excellent. And some criminally underrated.

17. googlymoogly

Yeah, pretty much...still a vehicle for a given singer/songwriter. If there had been a completely different lineup change, with a cast of stable band members having been jettisoned, maybe I'd grant the point. Took wasn't even around for "Beard of Stars", which was released 2 years prior to "Electric Warrior". Mickey Finn had a longer run with Bolan than Took did, for that matter. Anyway, back to our regularly-scheduled thread...

e.s., CBackley and chacha like this.
  18. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

Moray from Glasgow has given an answer...My copy shipped Monday..fingers crossed I don’t get hit by our beloved import taxes! Barnes and Noble still showing stock this morning..Good Luck..

19. Neonbeam

"Beard Of Stars" came out in Marc 1970, "Electric Warrior" in September 1971. Not exactly two years later.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Very happy with this purchase.

21. googlymoogly

I believe the sessions were actually from '69, but sure, not quite 2 years. And with that, I bid you farewell, arrivederci, and all that jazz.

e.s. and CBackley like this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I did try to get this Kevin Gray Electric Warrior from a UK source with no joy. I have bought it from a seller in the USA and will just have to cough up the customs charges etc which should mean the record will be worth it's weight in gold.
    Anyone on here have the UK vinyl collection?

23. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

What became 'T.Rex' was recorded by Tyrannosaurus Rex but released by T.Rex. A Beard of Stars fits the T.Rex name almost as much as the 'T.Rex' album imo. 'King of The Rumbling Spires' by Tyrannosaurus Rex is as much T.Rex as anything on the 'T.Rex' album. At the time the name change signified nothing more than the desire for a snappier name for the band.

Those first four tranny albums were at least the artistic equal of anything that came after, again, imo.

e.s., Marc Perman, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  24. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

Got this today! It's superb!! Really happy with it - thanks so much to the folks on here that recommended it. My 2012 Back To Black issue will be getting sold!!

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  25. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Picked it up at Barnes and Noble, last night. With the stickers there's no question about which version you're getting if you go to a store to look for a copy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017