T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

point taken. in fact, I just bought 10 copies of this new release. finally, I have a life!!

e.s. and Neonbeam like this.
  2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Not until you buy 10 more Subarus.

e.s. and Neonbeam like this.
  3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

dammit, keeping up with the joneses is rough.

e.s., Neonbeam and mick_sh like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You don't? What's wrong with you??

:yikes:

5. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Thanks leepal ireland is same as uk. Acoustic sounds is a different matter I ordered the doors 45 rpm vinyl and credence Clearwater sacd hit big on import taxes do

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Normally *Amazon US* collect import duties for you when paying; not so marketplace sellers.

Frank205 likes this.
  7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

OK. I think you might have missed the intended humour of the post you responded to.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  8. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Nothing indicates that this is a limited edition. However, sometimes non-limited editions become OOP sooner than limited ones. I've ordered two copies (and two Subarus).

Bobsblkwax likes this.
  9. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

I bet if you had polled punk or new wave bands at the back end of the 70's more people would be talking about T.Rex and Electric warrior than Soft Machine or Steely Dan albums. It maybe wasn't expected by people with narrower tastes, but for those with wider tastes who were sympathetic to this type of material and thought they could good judge the great from the merely O.K or bad, it was expected, or rather, wasn't unexpected. Depends on who you talk to really, and who's making the lists. Maybe Marc wasn't popular with list makers.

In 1979 EW was still revered among many original Bowie fans from the Hunky/ Ziggy years who were Marc fans first. Bolan was revered by many punk and new wave artists and people like Morrisey. Without Electric Warrior it's questionable whether we would ever have got Ziggy Stardust. I find it amusing that you place Soft Machine, Sun Ra and Steely Dan fans as some kind of higher authority. I'd say Electric Warrior was gradually forgotten, as happens with all music to a certain extent, but it's status didn't so much grow as experience a revival.

chaz, Groggy and krlpuretone like this.
  10. JerryTurcotte

JerryTurcotte Forum Resident

I have too much records to listen to the same twice in a row. That's exactly what I just did with EW. Wasn't familiar with T.Rex, was convince by positive comments about this reissue on SH Forum. Bought it today. Really glad I did. And it sounds great on my modest system. Thanks!

kronning, Groggy and FashionBoy like this.
  11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

So far I love Electric Warrior and like The Slider very much (and would recommend the Demon pressing to those looking for a flat, quiet and very decent sounding pressing). I streamed Tanx, and thought it wasn't bad on first listen, so I'll be tracking it down on vinyl also.

I said it earlier in the thread, but how did I miss these guys back in the day?

12. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Yep, Bauhaus did a ripping cover of Telegram Sam that still holds up!

13. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Thanks for bringing my attention to this, would have missed it likely. Picked up a copy yesterday & sounds great so far! Love this forum.

14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if Thread Starter

i personally added the matrix/runout info to discogs as pressed on my copy. that's all it says right there.

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well...there ya go. I would say Ron McMaster has nothing to do with this release.

ODShowtime likes this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It's a bit funny that an album that is over 45 years old that originally sold in droves to a primarily pubescent audience is being discovered by middle aged or older men (mostly) because it's getting raved about on an audiophile music forum. Still, it's great music, so whatever it takes to get turned on, right?

Wait, did I just make this a Beatles thread? ;)

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Only somebody who wasn't actually there at the time could make that assumption.
    Electric Warrior in 1971 did not sell to a primarily pubescent audience, all music fans bought it, young fans came on board with this album, but Bolan still had much of his old fanbase.
    You really need to do your homework before jumping in a thread and trying to be smart.
    And have you really only just noticed that this forum is dominated by middle aged men?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Groggy likes this.
  18. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Mine was posted the same day, and I'm still waiting too.

mr.datsun likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

:uhhuh:You hoarder, you!:uhhuh:

mick_sh likes this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I have to admit that I assumed the people discovering it were younger than your proposed demographic. If they really are middle-aged and have only just discovered it, then all I can say is - 'what the hell you all been doing all this time? ' :)

bob60 likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

Listening to Steely Dan, Soft Machine and Sun Ra:laughup:

bob60 and mr.datsun like this.
  22. notesofachord

Exactly.

23. notesofachord

Okay, so it wasn't all schoolkids that bought it back in '71, but surely, Electric Warrior is an album that celebrates the vitality of youth. Admittedly, I was already in my mid-twenties when I became a T Rex fan. Of course, if one is young at heart, then this album will be a gas at any age.

skisdlimit and Groggy like this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Bob60 thanks do you have a link or catalogue number (or the year)? I have a fair number of different cd versions of Electric Warrior including the recent sacd/shm from Japan which I do like. www.discogs.com/T-Rex-Electric-Warrior/release/9661796.
    I know there was a Slider box was there ever an Electric Warrior box?

25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I understand what you were saying. I was a teenager in 1970s England and there was certainly an issue with if you liked glam rock some fans of other rock ie prog or heavy metal did look down on you a bit. I got to Electric Warrior backwards in that I already had Slider and lots of T Rex singles before I heard this album completely and bought my own. Going backwards and buying a bands back catalogue was not so easy then as there were no online discographies to look at. Word of mouth and what was in the shop was really all I had to go on.

willboy likes this.