T.Rex Get It On Is Still The Most Perfect Pop

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Margrave, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Very much agree with this. Always seems to me there is an underlying vacuousness to Bolan's music borne out of my sense that once he achieved pop stardom his writing just got really lazy. More interested in being a pop star and receiving the adulation than actually making much good music. Recent time spent with The Slider and Tanx convinced me of this. From the period I'd definitely take Slade every time though their albums are often pretty patchy.

Right, I'll get me coat.....:hide: :winkgrin:

blutiga likes this.
  2. iggiziggi

iggiziggi Forum Resident

My daughter calls my record-player a LP-player and I don´t correct her any more, ´cause it´s an LP-player for her. But I Would never call it an LP-player for several reasons. Swedish Public service TV called The Beatles the first boy-band some months ago. I would never do that beause The Fab made sophisticated Music just like T Rex and deserve not to be trivialized. And By the way, Get in on is my favourite glam-rock song of all time.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

All makes perfect sense. :)

I always though pop music was called pop music because it was popular music. Which T.Rex was.

Man at C&A, bob60, KeninDC and 2 others like this.
  4. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

My personal favourite top 5 Glam UK artists / bands & single in order of preference is:
    1 David Bowie - Drive in Saturday
    2 Slade- Luk Wot U Dun
    3 T Rex-Children of the Revolution
    4 Sweet- Action
    5 Elton John-Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting

Ludger likes this.
  5. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Well, i can't argue with that argument, you have changed my mind.

As far as Slade's albums go? I love Play It Loud and think it's their best, but of course that album was before they were glam. Slade Alive! is the only live album i like and was the very first lp i ever had.
    Slayed? is ok and has some really good songs. Old New Borrowed and Blue wasn't as good as Slayed? omo. Lost interest with Slade in Flame. I've listened to all the albums after that one but found they were repeating themselves and they became a bit of a caricature.

I like some of Slider and Electric Warrior. Favourite T.Rex song is New York City followed by Metal Guru. I just got sick of the 'forumula'.

I love pop music, never understood why it is looked down upon by many people. Nothing better than a really catchy song that you can't get out of your head after only one listen of it.

Man at C&A and bob60 like this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Cool Motivator here, was my favorite from the album on first listen and still is.

7. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Well, if we're talking our favorite Marc Bolan pop/rock songs, I've got a soft spot for "Planet Queen." Not sure what it's all about with its references to daughters and flying saucers, but I like it. Sorta like Uriah Heep in space. The bonus version with the acoustic guitar bed on the deluxe edition of Electric Warrior (which is a great title, BTW) is especially good.

8. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Get It On is a true rock song, to me. And an iconic one, of course.

In some other thread I chose Wouldn't It Be Nice as the most perfect pop single.

Ludger, bob60 and Rufus rag like this.
  9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

It's pretty iffy to refer to the guy as over rated when you consider he rivaled the Beatles in the UK charts.

Four number one hits, they had 10 successive UK top 3 hits between 1970 And 1973 and 1 top 6 hit called "deborah" which was first released 4 years before.

Six albums on the charts '71 through '72.

March 1971 - The Best Of T.rex # 21
    8 weeks on the chart .

October 1971 - Electric Warrior # 1 for 8 weeks
    44 weeks on the chart .

March 1972 - Prophets, Seers & Sages: The Angels of the Ages /My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows # 1 for 1 week
    12 weeks on the chart

May 1972 - Bolan Boogie #1 for 3 weeks
    19 weeks on the chart.

August 1972 - The Slider #4
    18 weeks on the chart.

December 1972 - A Beard Of Stars/Unicorn #44
    2 weeks on the charts.

Even Tanx went to #3 in 1973.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  10. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

It's not, but it's a great pop rock song.

And I'm a member of the Wild Party.

11. tages

tages Senior Member

Was spinning this last week - absolutely brilliant

[​IMG]

Ludger, bob60 and Man at C&A like this.
  12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I remember when I was 7 or so, my big brother had the Electric Warrior LP when it was current and "Rip Off" was my favorite!
    It still gets me going! A fantastic bit of unhinged rock and roll!

The middle 8 is on par with the one in Bowie's "Panic In Detroit".

Ludger likes this.
  13. manco

manco Forum Resident

Not really. If I needed the most perfect pop single in 2 minutes I'd go for "We Can Work it Out".

14. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

You Really Got Me is the most perfect. Other than "Sweetness" by Yes.

But yeah, "Get It On" is one of the most crunchy self-assured tracks of the 70's, damn that's saying something. I was just listening to Electric Warrior this morning.

Ludger and unclefred like this.
  15. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I heard it on the radio just 5 minutes before reading this post! Yep, still sounds good.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

most def one of them!

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Metal Guru, is it you. No it's Telegram Sam he's my main man. But you scare me to death with your horrible breath. Aww c'mon they're all great.
    Back Off Boogaloo :)

tages, Ludger and bob60 like this.
  18. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes, get your coat man who speaks evil :D

Man at C&A and Ludger like this.
  19. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

The significant difference between some singles of the 70's and the 60's is the duration. There's no doubt in my mind that The Beatles "We Can Work It Out" is an example of the two minute pop single (2:16 to be precise) in all it's glory - melodic, catchy, hummable, and very concise.

After the 60's there's plenty of examples of pop songs that just go on and on and on........ wearing out their welcome and diminishing their charms.

Almost twice as long as We Can Work It Out, Get It On (4:28) is an example of how to perfect the longer pop song - it retains interest all along, some repetition of lyrics though not in a predictable way, invites you to sing along, let's you know when it's about to finish ("take me.....") and leaves one either satiated or wanting more. Almost fifty years later, it still has the same effect.

Whilst we're talking about Get It On being the perfect pop song, perhaps it's OK to mention the compilation it soon appeared on - Bolan Boogie. Five consecutive "A" sides, five "B" sides and five well chosen deep cuts from the albums "Unicorn", "A Beard of Stars" and "T.Rex". Superbly sequenced, both sides of the Lp commence with one side of the Get It On 45.

Were it not for the absence of the following three singles - Telegram Sam, Metal Guru and Children of the Revolution - Bolan Boogie would arguably be the T.Rex set to choose if one could choose only one.

Ludger, tages, Groggy and 1 other person like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Every Oasis single would be good examples of this.

bob60 likes this.
  21. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

For a brief 3 record run Bolan was competing with the best of them.....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ludger, TheLoveDrags and bob60 like this.
  22. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5 Thread Starter

Your forgetting this classic that came before those three.
    [​IMG]
    Back then you had to sell a hell of a lot more albums and singles to get number 1 in both charts.
    There's used to go straight in at No1 on day of release.

Ludger, tages and Groggy like this.
  23. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

It’s not my favourite T Rex song. This is.

24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I thought it was a Bay city rollers song

25. SomeLikeItHot59

SomeLikeItHot59 Member

I love the original version of Bang a Gong (Get It On) a fantastic song by T.rex and I also like The Power Station's cover of it with Robert Palmer on vocals.

Ludger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.