Table top am/fm radios

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rxonmymind, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone still use one? Much has been covered when it come to our ever humble uber systems but little radios?
    Well my wife started a new job and wanted a little radio for her desk and thus I promptly kicked into research mode. After reading through tons of reviews it came down to either Tivoli or Sagean. Decided on the latter a Sangean WR-SE11.
    [​IMG]
    I dig the analog dial as well as it's aesthetics. Hopefully the wife approves with the sound.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-WR-11-Cabinet-Table-Analog/dp/B001BGGD8A

SpeedMorris likes this.
  2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

does a clock radio count? we still use one for our morning alarm.

rxonmymind likes this.
  3. dadbar

dadbar Forum Resident

I just bought my son one of the Tivoli radios along with a U-Turn turntable to plug into it so he can play vinyl. Works well.

In an office environment, reception can sometimes be really bad. I keep a Grace internet radio on my desk and just hook into the wireless router at work to listen to the radio. Works OK.

4. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

In the past, I have used a Boston Acoustics Receptor as a desktop radio. Very good sound in a small form factor. At home, we're currently using a 4th gen Bose Wave Radio, also with good results.

rxonmymind likes this.
  5. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I have the Sangean H201 Shower Radio and like it. It's portable and somewhat weatherproof. It has a wire antennae that helps with reception. Sound quality is good, even at low volume on nightstand.

6. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I have two, a Proton I bought in the late 70s and a Bose Wave I inherited about eighteen years ago. The Proton is a PITA to tune and sounds like a pocket transistor radio from the mid 60s. The Bose actually sounds very good and is easy to tune. I would not pay full price, however. If paying full price I’d try the Tivoli or Sangean to see how they performed before trying a Bose. The price delta is too big to ignore. BTW for a system radio I got a Pro-ject. It is dinky but works very well. I got a good price.

7. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I have a Tivoli in the kitchen and listen to it every day. It’s a fantastic little unit and I highly recommend it.

PhilBiker and rxonmymind like this.
  8. rxonmymind

Sure. They incorporated a clock feature on some older radios. Pretty neat too.

9. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I have one of these Sangean radios and love it. Simple, clean, great reception, sounds good (as long as you have reasonable expectations for this kind of unit).

I also have a fancier Como Audio radio for internet radio and Bluetooth and such. Its reception isn't nearly as good as the Sangean, but the sound is comparable and obviously it has a ton more connectivity options.

rxonmymind likes this.
  10. rxonmymind

This is what I'm looking for. She can't have it too loud otherwise I'd have set her up with a little Marantz 2010 receiver and two small speakers. This will be dead center in front of her computer.

11. rxonmymind

Glad to hear the Sangean is doing well.
    Now that Como certainly got my attention.
    One of my wife's request was that it plugged in. She didn't want to keep feeding it batteries. I'm glad to see the Como be a plug in. Looks really good too. Thanks for the mention.

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The Sangean WR-2 might be worth a look. It was also sold (I think) as the Music Hall RDR-1, which I have. Great little sounding radio.

John K.

13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

There is a thread here with some pictures. I have a vintage 1969 Sylvania solid state table radio in my office. I don't use it often, but it is nice occasionally.

[​IMG]

Natvecal., JNTEX, dalem5467 and 5 others like this.
  14. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

I love my KLH Model 21. Sounds awesome in my bathroom on KUVO, our local Jazz station.

action pact, The FRiNgE and McLover like this.
  15. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like vintage Zenith tube AM/FM table radios or the KLH or Advent table FM radio.

17. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I got an RDR-1 years ago when Audio Advisor was blowing them out for $100 or so. (Roy claimed to have modded the stock unit, but his original $200 msrp was silly.) One of my best ever audio purchases, though. Can't imagine not liking its sound.

Got my daughter an SR-11, which is also very nice. The 11 is more naturally bass heavy, as you can't shape the sound like the digital unit. But to me it just sounds rich- one man's euphonic is another man's rich!

I suspect the Tivoli may get somewhat better AM reception and some may prefer the more neutral sound. Sangean would get my $ if I made a purchase tomorrow, though.

rxonmymind likes this.
  18. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

The last station worth a hoot in our area just...let's say..."found Jesus". So I retired my Tivoli iPal in favor of a Grace internet radio. I really like the experience....a great bedside radio with all the late night jazz one could want.

rxonmymind likes this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

looks nice, but hard to beat a tube amp radio. they have a sound all of their own.

20. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I've got a couple:

Zenith K731 (1959 or so):

[​IMG]

...and a Directed Electronics DHHD-1000 (HD Radio) 2004-ish?

[​IMG]

21. rxonmymind

That was my main motivator in going digital as the last jazz radio station just upped and left one day without notice.

PhilBiker likes this.
  22. Loving the wine; nice radio too

23. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

JNTEX likes this.
  24. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

I have the Bose Wave radio. It sounds a tad overly bassed, but actually nice for a table top.

rxonmymind likes this.
  25. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

LOL that's vinegar now. A souvenir from a Loire Valley tour in 1989. It was my Dad's radio and was always in his office when I was growing up. He always tuned it to the local classical station. Right now I've got it tuned to the local classic rock station but I may switch it to the local classical station and put it in my 5 month old son's nursery for listening when I'm rocking him.

rxonmymind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.