Taiyo Yuden To Stop Making Blank Media

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dubmart, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Also http://www.rima.com

Dino and jsayers like this.
  2. Kit

Kit Forum Resident

mediasupply.com offers free shipping on all JVC/Taiyo Yuden products.

SOONERFAN, Dino and Jasonb like this.
  3. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Taking me a few hours plus to write on this news,as i am stunned that such a good product is coming to an end.

Any good places in the UK to buy?,as down the years i used Amazon or Ebay.Might be missing a place so better ask before the end is (sob) near!.

4. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I remember reading about counterfeit Taiyo Yuden. Is that still a problem?

5. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered six 100 count spindles for a total of $141.93. I wasn't crazy about the unplanned spending of just under 150 bucks but I don't want to be without a good stash of these. My total comes out to less then a quarter a disc which makes me feel a little better about it.

6. Kit

Kit Forum Resident

One other note about mediasupply.com, if you place items in your shopping cart but hold off checking out right away, they will sometimes give a 5% off popup if you check out within 10 minutes. Not sure if it's all the time, but whenever I've placed an order I usually get the 5% discount popup. Not sure if ad blockers will prevent it from displaying so can't guarantee it will work for everyone.

7. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Yes, the 5% discount thing popped up on my order also.

8. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Back in the day, Fuji CD-R's were readily available at places like Best Buy and they were all TY's.

So, as I knew their reputation among tapers, I bought them exclusively, and I did not mind paying a bit more for them.

I have been going through some of my live shows recently and I have discovered that a few of those very same Fuji TY's have gone bad.

It was a major disappointment to me to discover that TY's may be more reliable than other manufacturers, but they can go bad as well.

And yes, these were properly stored and not left out in the sun, excessive cold ... etc.

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Amazon and Amazon Marketplace is usually as good as anywhere to find TY's. Mediasupply and other sellers will sometimes undercut their own Website's prices there, but the reverse is only very rarely true IME, and you can quickly compare prices from a number of merchants (and those prices seem to change almost daily)

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I believe I have seen Maxell brand CD/DVD/R ...

11. coopmv

I still remember those good old days when researchers were working hard to invent the first writable CD back in the mid to late 80's and IBM research lab was hard at work to make this happen ...

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

brand, yes; for that matter you can still buy TDK brand at many outlets (Costco, Amazon, etc). But TDK stopped making their own in about 2002, and as I posted I'm not sure Maxell ever made their own.

quicksrt likes this.
  13. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I went to the site and read their shipping policies and they're in a foreign country and won't ship outside of it.

14. coopmv

Did you know that Sony still makes Walkman - radio plus cassette player for the African market? I read about this not that long ago ...

Rolltide likes this.
  15. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm just curious - what exactly are people still using these things for? If you want to backup stuff, rip it and store it online. Google just gave me a terabyte of storage space when I bought my Chromebook.

Not a gigabyte. A terabyte. For two years. That'll store a slew of CDs compressed as FLAC files.

4TB external drives can also be had for $120.

I can't imagine using optical media for backup anymore, except possibly Blu-ray.

Rolltide and Grant like this.
  17. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Blu-ray would be good data backup if it's stable, right? IT people always tell me that data doesn't exist unless it's on 3 different platforms (cloud, HDD, optical, etc.).

As for CD-R, I still use them for being able to listen to my needledrops in the car. I don't want to shell out $100+ for an aftermarket stereo into which I can connect a media player (which I don't have), which is also more likely to cause someone to break into my car. But of course the files are backed up, so the quality of the CD-R for me doesn't really matter.

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It does matter, you don't want to be on the road and find glitches on every new CD-R burn you just did.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I never saw the "gold" ones, hum? And I've never has a TY fail on me either. Very odd.

20. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Well, true, but no problems so far with ye olde Memorex or generics. My thinking was if something failed I could simply re-burn. I don't buy Memorex, usually Verbatim, but at this point everything commonly available in stores is made in China... so maybe stocking up on T-Y is in order..
    I have had problems with CD-RWs, though, especially after a day in the KS sun. (I use those for DVD commentaries, podcasts, first listen of needledrops, etc.)

21. Kit

Kit Forum Resident

Not to get too far off topic, but this photographer has a couple of YouTube videos explaining why optical media is NOT dead. This is directly related to photography archives, but could easily be applied to other mediums as well. He is also a user of JVC/Taiyo Yuden media.

22. coopmv

I bought a spindle of Fuji DVD's last year to make a backup of my Windows 8.1. It took a total of 4 DVD's.

23. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

You're right about that. Gold is the REFLECTIVE layer. Data is written into the DYE layer. It is the dye layer that deteriorates, regardless of the reflective layer. "Gold Archival" CD's are just a way of convincing people to buy something for which there is no scientific justification.

I was going to suggest MAM-A, but apparently they only make DVD's now.

24. coopmv

CD is simply too limited in its capacity. IIRC, it is just a lousy 500 MB ...

25. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I bought Fuji CD-Rs from Best Buy when I noticed they shifted from being made in Japan to Taiwan. I bought up as many spindles of the Japan ones. I use them primarily for making backups of my DCCs, AFs, MFSLs, and use TDK or Sony for stuff the plays in my car, or for testing out a playlist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.