Taiyo Yuden To Stop Making Blank Media

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dubmart, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Caps? Boards are built way better than they used to be, and the manufacturer has a lot to do with it. I avoid Intel boards (do they still make them?) and choose to stick with Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI. They are a lot more durable than the older days. It's funny that repair places still tell people that they need to replace the motherboard. When people tell me that, I know it's probably a scam, unless the mobo was hit by an electrical surge.

2. Grant

Rubber parts can deteriorate. That's why you need to exercise them. The rubber parts of your phono cart wears out. The belts on your turntable, should you have them, wear out if the thing sits. Car tires? There is a reason it is seriously recommended that you replace them every six years, or don't buy tires that have been sitting in storage for six years: rubber wears out, and can split, aside from over-inflating tires in the heat or using cheap Chinese tires (a lot of people do buy cheapos). My point is that there has to be a lot of old tires being used, too.

Metal oxidizes. Parts dry up and crack. temperatures affect matter. Natural obsolescence? You don't have to take pains to not over-stress something. It's going to wear out.

3. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

How odd! (though I did brick my previous motherboard - I stupidly thought, "gee, there's a newer version of the mobo firmware, I'll update it!" - killed it completely. I can't imagine a motherboard could be somewhere between fully functional and completely dead..)

4. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Quick question: Will this decision affect Sony or Memorex brand CD-Rs? I'm only asking because those are the most-available brands in my neighborhood.

It's sad to see the end of burning and recording media. This is especially bad for fans of "classic" videogames such as Sega Saturn and Dreamcast. And I still use CD-R for my LP needle drops. Does this mean I'll have to start hoarding discs by the crate-load?

I'm already telling myself I should rent a garage to store Sony Trinitron TVs. Maybe I'll have to add blank discs to that list? Oy vey.

5. Grant

I never update the bios for that reason. For that matter, I don't bother updating the video drivers, either. I had a very bad experience with that once. I recovered from it, but, still...

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note.

Please keep things friendly guys!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  7. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I'd guess the demise in manufacturing of cdr's will be like the cd player scarcity. They'll still be made by someone surely, but less choices and probably all online buys as it just about is now.

Just to see it's downhill trend is depressing, but not world ending....yet.

Hopefully.

8. Grant

My solution is to invest in a couple more $20 OEM CD burners for my computer so I can keep ripping.

9. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Not just rippers and burners to hoarde but blanks, cd players and the ability to use that hardware and software on the planned obsolescense of OS's and the compatibility issues inherent with our excalating changes in computering.

As you know...my favorite software doesn't work past XP and my ole Plextor ripper/burner is incompatible with today's stuff. And their product is a shadow of what it used to be.

10. Grant

I have no use for CD-R. I just rip CDs. Now, DVD-R, yeah, I have a DVD recorder for TV programs. For me, it's a better option than using a unit the cable company provides.

I don't know what to tell you.

11. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Just ordered 200. Those should last me a while. My daughter also thinks they're top-notch.

ricks likes this.
  12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Ridata (aka Ritek) has not manufactured media above grade B in over 10 years. I store all my stuff properly - always have - and have had Ridata discs go bad less than 90 days after burning. Never once has that occurred with Taiyo. I am speaking about data not redbook or dvd-video formats which are more forgiving due to built in redundancies. That said in 2010 I've tried to play several Ridata CD-R's I recorded in 2005 and they too were bad. When analyzed on my PC they were rife with the dreaded CRC errors. Of course my Taiyo and good Verbatim's recorded on the same gear were fine

From my own experience I feel the good Verbatim and Taiyo are equal in terms of CD and DVD.

Mitsubishi Verbatim AZO dyes are top notch and many believe their DVD blanks are slightly better than Taiyo due to increased compatibility with stand alone players. The rub is, good Verbatim are not always easy to identify and is not always easy to find. Always avoid Verbatim "Life" and "value" series

You can get more info here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

As for me I've done a bit of Taiyo "hoarding" both over the years and recently and I'm in good shape for quite a long time. IMHO anyone who cares about archival quality Grade A media , should grab some Taiyo before Dec when they dry up and jump in price.

P.S. Blu-ray blanks regardless of manufacture are not suitable for archival storage. The internal scheme is basically like that of a CD-R. If want long term archival storage media grab as many Tayio TYG02 [8x] as you can find now. While some may disagree with me about the quality, I do not like the TYG03's [16x] myself.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I try and always buy Sony media...CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, but when I can't find them Maxell and Memorex CD-Rs seem to work just as well. Not sure if they make their own or have them rebadged from someone else.

14. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

It's sad that TY will not be making more blanks. I have always tried to use TY but I've only burned a handful of CD-Rs in the last 5 years. I will still need good computer CD drives for the forseeable future because I will continue to buy new and used CDs and rip them to my network drives.

15. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I still use CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, so this is not good news.

16. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I usually get them from Amazon with free shipping but wondered if there's a cheaper source?

17. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Where have I been that I'm just seeing this now?! That's horrible news. Guess I needs to stock up...

(Though, I agree about Verbatim AZO being pretty close in quality...)

18. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance, I could use some advice here. I use CDR mainly to make compilations for the car. The Pioneer device in the car has a USB slot which plays mp3, is that what I would resort to should all CDR manufacturing cease? Thanks.

19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

only if made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp in Taiwan [or japan in the old days]. Verbatim continues to sully it's once hallowed name by producing inferior media - with same part numbers - made in other countries at substandard factories, not to mention the dismal grade D "life" and "value" lines. To sum up the best Verbatim is the AZO if it is "made in Taiwan". Product that meets that criteria have become harder to find, but if you see them in a store on-sale, stock up as it's some of the finest burnable media ever manufactured.

20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Memorex has the highest failure rate of all "name brand" blank media. Granted one can get luckily but IMHO they should be avoided like the plague.

Sony used represent some of the finest blank media in the world when it was manufactured by Daxon. Daxon went out of business in 2010. Now Sony buys stuff on the spot market and has it rebranded. Sometimes what they buy is Mitsubishi Chemical Corp [Verbatim], other times it was Taiyo, but it could also easily be the horrible quality CMC Magentics (they make Memorex usually) . Seems as you may have got the Taiyo or Verbatim "Sony's", but rather than roll the dice my feeling is just buy the good Verbatim and be done with it. See my last post for details on the good Verbatim

As for Maxell [Hitachi] at one time they were the last word, absolute best in Blank media, since 2005/2006 they do what I just wrote about Sony.

BTW while the Redbook format allows for redundant data seriously why take a chance when some times the Grade A stuff even costs less. "While some cheap media may work for you, it’s a gamble that often loses"

I have used JVC Taiyo [nee Taiyo Yuden] and the good Verbatim exclusively since 2011. From 2007-2010 also in my mix was the amazing quality "accucore" by Sony [Daxon]. After losing some important data to Ritek and Memorex I began my quest to find good media which led me amongst other place to these folks http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm .

In now 8+ year's of using only Grade A blanks I've have only 1 disc that was bad during burning and that was due to it being at bottom of spindle/scratched, and none that went bad after being burned where as with Ritek and Memorex it was about 1 in 6.

I am sure some will argue all my points probably having been lucky and or only burning redbook format but why not just get the best stuff. Especially when in most cases it's about the same price. Oh and beware the gold -r scam on blank media.They have lower reflectivity and thus are riddle with a high number of errors while burning. Easily seen with a variety of free software.

"Gold discs ARE NOT the best discs! Gold discs have lousy reflectivity, and the dye quality found on these blanks simply does not burn well in our tests (or the tests of others). It’s a waste of money for mediocre media."

P.S. I still have 1 opened and 1 sealed spindle of 50 Sony AccuCore DVD+R's from 2007. Still use them for stuff with important memories attached.

NOW FOLKS RUN OUT AND GET SOME BLANK TAIYO's! It'll be much better than whining and lamenting that you didn't in the future.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    gd0 and Dubmart like this.
  21. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

THANK YOU. I've been saying that for years, but nobody ever believed me. The gold has nothing to do with the longevity of the CD. That is determined by the dye layer. If the dye deteriorates, all the gold in the world isn't going to save it.

gingerly and ricks like this.
  22. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------------------
    I have had no issues with any Memorex CD-r media ever over the years and the Sony's over the last 5+ years have the same physical appearance and I see no quality drop. I use Sony CD Architect for burning and have had no issues when using this great burning software.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yup. And you can put 1000 CDs worth of music on there for <$50.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have several systems around the house and 1 in the garage. I like to have a disc to put in those systems rather than carry around a hard drive. However, I have been making downloads and have two hard drives to store them in, one is for backup.

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

You have been lucky as explained in my last posting - but why rely on luck when the best stuff is same or less money:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Imgburn is much better software engine and free, although skills above beginner are required, but none of that is relevant, as bottom line the only things that really count when burning optical media is DYE quality + the burning hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.