Take a look at my arcade! (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Haven't seen a lot of love for arcades on this forum, so thought I'd share my new baby.

She's made of a cabinet I purchased from Rec Room Masters, a 32" Samsung LCD TV, Klipsch Pro Media sub with Kicker 5.25" car speakers, custom-assembled artwork by yours truly, a custom-built high-end PC with 8TB filled with every game in existence, and a custom installation of HyperSpin (the emulation front-end).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If we ever have enough space for it, my next project would be a driving cabinet with high-end pedals and wheel. :)

Highly recommended for anybody who likes arcade or console games! :D

Crungy, CDFanatic, jhm and 33 others like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

And here's a pic of the screen while in action.

[​IMG]

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

That's a really nice setup you put together!!!

One of my old classmates, Father (god bless him!) opened an arcade in an old empty clothing store in early 80's, man was that place packed come 1985-86!!

Occasionally we would drop by and visit and he would dump a handful of tokens to play all the machines. He was a really nice guy, and his son too!

[​IMG]

4. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Now, that's nice! Are the games all legit ones, or do you have some homebrew stuff in there? (I ask, because I've never seen the game 'Daphne' before, and I assume it's some sort of Dragon's Lair fan-made game).

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Every single day at lunch during high school I spent feeding those machines or 'pay per play' pool tables....those were good times.

6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

During the early 80s, and I know this are from the almost "prehistoric" era of games, my favorite two games were Donkey Kong and Gorf.

7. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

I just put a quarter on it - I've got next! :)

8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

9. Grunge Master

I loved arcades (still do, when you can find one). Every time we'd go to the mall, I'd get excited to go into Aladdin's Castle; I loved when you got closer to it, the sounds of the games got louder, so you knew you were just about there.

jeffd7030, jhm, Karnak and 7 others like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

All legit games. I probably have close to 60 000 games in there, easy. All platforms you can think of from the Nintendo DS backwards. Have about 3TB of PlayStation 2 games alone.

Daphne is the platform Dragon's Lair and those types of laserdisc games were running on back then, like Space Ace. To give another example, Daytona Racing was running on Sega's AM2 platform, IIRC. I have my arcade broken into platforms. It's easier that way.

11. Strat-Mangler

My 12-year old nephew who's always had top-of-the-line consoles like PlayStation 4 wanted to play and the games he ended up enjoying the most were Donkey Kong and Pac-Man.

I always say that play control and fun factor are overwhelmingly more important than graphics and that just reinforced that argument, IMHO.

You can, but you need lots of money to buy the cabinet, the play board, a PC powerful enough to handle PlayStation 2 games in 1080P with everything turned to max, a good TV with low lag, a speaker system with sub, coding and troubleshooting experience to have the HyperSpin menu working, etc.

This has been a ton of work. Always finding things to fix or improve but it's worth it to be able to play all these games at the touch of a button.

I can also rig it to accept quarters for play, if I feel like it.

jhm, poe_man, weekendtoy and 7 others like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Darn. I don't have the money.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Somehow I have a hankering for a pocket full of quarters on my right side, and a pocket full of Twizzlers on my left.

Here's 15 cents - somebody run out to the payphone, and tell my Mom I might miss dinner..."study group"...!

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Do you have a BBQ and pool?

If you do, I know where we're having the next Gort Convention!

:winkgrin:

15. Grunge Master

Nice! I was never good at those Don Bluth-drawn games. I needed my guys to be sprites, not real cartoons!
    Where did you get your graphics for it at? I like a page on Facebook that does cabinet graphics, I think it might be called Escape Pod? I forget, I belong to so many of those 'retro' game pages that I forget which is which! They do really high quality prints for cabinets.

16. Strat-Mangler

Ha! I have a Big Green Egg clone and kick butt at BBQ but alas, no pool... though I certainly have a big backyard. :D

Gary likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

I created the collage of characters, sent everything to RecRoomMasters and had them print it and put it on the cabinet prior to shipping it to me.

Honestly, the big issues were configuring, calibrating, monitoring, and troubleshooting.

I dumped so many quarters in arcades that I might as well have all the games. LOL!

Sammy Banderas and Grunge Master like this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Oh and I wonder if anybody is familiar with any of the characters on the side of the cabinet?

Bonus points if you know them all. ;)

19. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Strat-Mangler, I would assume that you are very good at playing arcade games. I was in my late 20s when arcade gamehalls became popular. I was never worth a damn. When I was in Chicago (1980-87), I used to go down to a southern suburb/city named Calumet City. There was an arcade down there with a Donkey Kong machine. They opened at 10:00 on Saturday, but for a couple of months, they would let you in at 9:00am, charge you 5.00, and you could play for a solid hour.

I worked on Donkey Kong, but I think I rarely got to the fourth screen (if I remember correctly, there were four different screens).

I did have a friend who was about a year younger than me and he was a natural. He would routinely play Galaga for 10 or 20 minutes straight on a single quarter.

Finally, I used to like the first Tron game a lot too. The screen with enemy tanks in the maze was a bitch.

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I could name six but I won't.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Nice cabinet art!

Sammy Banderas, Jrr and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. Grunge Master

Little Mac, Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Mega Man, Mario, Space Invaders, Bomberman, and a little Gel that looks like the stuff from Dragon Warrior. No, I didn't have to Google these!

jhm and Strat-Mangler like this.
  23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

My current arcade is a Jr. Pacman game in my stereo room. I've always meant to get another game or two but never have. I was a minority owner of an 80's arcade. It was a nice supplement to my income....

Strat-Mangler and McLover like this.
  24. @Strat-Mangler - how much does a console like yours run? You could PM me if you don't want to say in here. This might be something I'm interested in.

Also, what's the dimensions on yours?

25. Strat-Mangler

Please tell us more... That's very interesting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.