Take a look at my arcade! (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal Slug

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Yep. Those are mainstream games so most people with cabs like these would have them. It's a whole series of games, really.

When people think they can stomp me and I launch their obscure game, their eyes light up! Pretty cool.

I should check how many games I have. Last count was 60 000.

3. Right on. I always liked the arcade style buttons/joystick compared to hand held console controllers. Seems like a fun item to have around. One arcade game that used to make me bleed quarters, was Gauntlet.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

The Imation pressing plant in Wisconsin was formerly the 3M pressing plant - they changed the name when 3M spun off their videodisc business:

3M Manufacturing/Imation

5. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

This might be one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

7. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

OP, your cabinet is the best I've ever seen, well done!

For those who are interested in a simple solution, a $49 Raspberry Pi3 and a micro SD card are all you need to play 90% of what the OP has on his system. Only takes about 30 minutes to set up and you are good to go.

8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

What is Cicada?

9. Strat-Mangler

Thanks! It was a labor of love. Tons of time was spent on this.

As for your solution, yes, it's cheap but I disagree that it will be enough to duplicate the same result. The control scheme will be done either a handheld controller or a keyboard which obviously won't have the same feeling or result. The Pi won't be strong enough to apply the numerous filters and tweaks to make the graphics look that much nicer and certainly too weak to run Nintendo 64, PlayStation 2 (perhaps PSX games with filters too?), 3DS, Wii, GameCube (?), etc. And then, there are the arcade platforms with perhaps more demanding 3D capabilities as well.

There are no shortcuts but for purely nostalgic purposes, if one wants to just play Mrs Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and those types of games, yes, your solution would work but I'd argue that the arcade feeling is what grants most of the fun factor.

Jrr likes this.
  10. It was a similar type project that involved puzzles. A Rabbit Hole in the internet.

The Hud likes this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If this thing doesn't have all the games made by Moppet Video on it I will be so disappointed. :)

12. Strat-Mangler

Yes, I have those. Not games I play but I have them... of course, in a sea of tens of thousands of games, some are bound to be ignored in favor of others. ;)

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, I mean I guess I can't blame you for wanting to play Pole Position or Ms. Pac-Man over Noah's Ark or Leprechaun. :)

Jrr likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Well, Pole Position wouldn't be a good choice because I don't have a wheel. We live in a small house so space is at a premium but if/when we move into a bigger house, I'd love to take a driving game cabinet, stick a PC in there, and find a way to calibrate it so I could play plenty of games like Daytona USA... or Pole Position. ;)

Jrr likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Look, I'm sure you can convince your wife that you don't need a kitchen table, bed, or couch in the house. You can make do without those luxuries if it means being able to play a sit-down Pole Position game. :)

16. junk

junk Hellion

Cool stuff. I used to play games when I was a kid. Galaga was my thing. I'd get my name on a machine as a high scorer and then when I'd go back someone else had knocked me off so I'd do it again. My girlfriend eventually said she'd rather just go to a drive-in movie. That turned out to be much more rewarding in the end. ;)

Strat-Mangler and Jrr like this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Do you have a spinner on your unit? They aren't cheap but it works with most of the driving games, as well as Arkanoid, Tempest and anything else it should work with. Worth every penny. I will tell you where to get one if you don't have one. There is only one I recommend. It fits in a standard button hole and plugs in via usb. If you are running Windows in the bacground, as most do, it should find the drivers.

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

There was a company that used to make a generic driving game cabinet. They actually gave me one in exchange for my input. Very, very cool. They aren't around anymore, but I think the place you got your cabinet makes one if memory serves.

19. Jax Scopitone

Jax Scopitone Active Member

Some 80s arcade games used a ds1216 smart watch chip which had button batteries soldered and potted to the bottom of the package. It came in versions A through, I think, H. As we all know, batteries die. And this smart watch isn't made any longer.

After looking at some videos and web pages about hacking a new battery onto the chip, I'm able to keep a certain brand of master clock running. (Sorry if this strays to far from the OP.)

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Late to the thread, but I went nuts during lockdown last year on retro gaming. Got into the Raspberry Pi stuff for ROMS, and even bought a Game Boy-knockoff portable version. Haven't built my Pi into an arcade console yet however.

[​IMG]

AR002-PiBoy DMG - Kit

Strat-Mangler and longdist01 like this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Found a token online from Arcade run by an old friend in 80's who Dad opened it around 1982. Fun times!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    altaeria, jhm and Strat-Mangler like this.
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Wonder why Disney never ported those out for portable or home arcade game market the last two decades??

Holy Diver likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Do you mean consoles?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.