Take A Spin With Dio's "DREAM EVIL"--POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Dream Evil
    [​IMG]

Wikipedia:

Studio album by Dio
    Released
    July 21, 1987
    Recorded Village Recorder, Los Angeles, California
    Genre Heavy metal
    Length 43:20
    Label Warner Bros. (North America)
    Vertigo (rest of the world)
    Producer Ronnie James Dio

Singles from Dream Evil
    1. "I Could Have Been a Dreamer" / "Overlove"
      Released: July 1987 (US)
    2. "All the Fools Sailed Away" / "Overlove"
      Released: July 1987 (Europe)
    3. "I Could Have Been a Dreamer" / "Night People"
      Released: October 1987 (Europe)
    Dream Evil is the fourth studio album released by the American heavy metal band Dio, on July 21, 1987. It features former Rough Cuttmembers Craig Goldy and Claude Schnell, and includes the singles "All the Fools Sailed Away" and "I Could Have Been a Dreamer". Dream Evil was Dio's last album to feature Murray on the cover and also the last to feature drummer Vinny Appice until the 1993 album Strange Highways. It was also the last album to feature bassist Jimmy Bain until the release of 2000's Magica.

------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Dio in 2005

Been going through a Dio craze lately. Again like with many albums I forget Dio's Dream Evil is no different. Dio's earlier albums are better but it took a several listens for Dream Evil to set in. When it first came out in July of 1987 I wasn't crazy about it but of course that would change.

Ronnie James Dio
    [​IMG]
    Dio in 2009, Chicago

Some great musicianship here as well as some solid tunes. Love the opening Night People a great starter tune. Dream Evil, Sunset Superman. Craig Goldy killing it on guitar as well as Jimmy Bain on bass. The second time I'm spinning spinning this cd and loving it. Just picked up the Decade Of Dio box set enjoying reliving some great Dio remastered albums.

Dream Evil is a fun and thrilling ride 1987.

A Decade Of Dio: 1983-1993 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G9IVTL0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_D88yAbRW7QET6

Personnel:
    Dio
    Additional musicians
    • Mitchell Singing Boys – chorus on "All The Fools Sailed Away"
    Production

Dio - Dream Evil - Reviews - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Dio~Dream Evil (1987) full album - YouTube

BluesOvertookMe, tinnox and paradox55 like this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

A vote for "All The Fools Sailed Away"; otherwise, I don't care for this album very much though I do think Craig Gold(ie)y did a fine job of replacing Vivian Campbell.

3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I think this is a fantastic album from top to bottom so you know what my vote is, Craig does an excellent job taking over the six string axe and the band as a whole gels really well on this album need to get this on vinyl.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Picked up on vinyl sounds so good glad I did

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

I'll do the same soon enough.

tinnox likes this.
  6. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

My local had for $25 sealed saw me looking at it and I put it back and he said I will take $20 if you want it and I happily picked it back up and took it home.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Wow!! A score, a musical angel looking over you. :D

tinnox likes this.
  8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I have to confess I was no longer on the Dio train by the time this album came out. Intermission was my final Dio purchase after a series of diminishing returns on the same formula IMO. I do recall "I Could Have Been A Dreamer" getting some radio play. It wasn't bad.

9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Goldy does some great Blackmore impersonations (especially Overlove) and I really enjoy that aspect. At the time I thought it was actually a step up from Sacred Heart because it seemed some recycling of ideas were taking place, but recent plays of Sacred Heart have me appreciating them both.

10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Voted everything but Naked in the Rain. Overlove and Night People are particular favorites.

11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

To me Dream Evil is a step forward from the last LP and is a required listen in the Dio catalog.

12. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Dream Evil
    All the Fools Sailed Away

13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The title track is an all-time fav of mine.

The issue with this album is the mix...why are Dio's vocals distorted? Can't figure out if they were recorded that way or if it's a effect on the vocal tracks.

14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Naked In The Rain went way up for me after hearing the live version on the Donington 83/87 set.

The loser for me is When A Woman Cries...ah ah...oh brother!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.