Taking photos with iPhone 5, OS 9

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joey Self, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my OS to v. 9 on my iPhone 5. Before the upgrade, I could put my camera app in the background (or minimize it, maybe is the correct term) and take pictures by pressing the volume button. Came in handy if I was trying to capture a moment with my son without him knowing it, because it then became a protest. I tried it yesterday and got nothing. Experimenting later, I couldn't get it to work as it used to. It's probably something in the settings, but I'm at a loss as to what to do to get it working as it did.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JcS

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Had no idea that was even a thing! A quick Google shows nothing useful but I would presume it was either a bug or a feature eliminated in iOS 9.

3. Joey Self

I found it a few months ago, and likewise found nothing when I searched, but I am not sure I am using the right terms for when the camera app is running but not what you see when you see the screen.

JcS

4. drasil

drasil Former Resident

most likely, you were entering the 'app switcher' by double-pressing the home button (it's the place where you scroll among screen thumbnails of all the open apps to switch to another one or force quit one by swiping its thumbnail up), which didn't actually suspend the foreground app until you selected a new app to switch to. so, even if you scrolled away from the camera app's thumbnail in the switcher, you could still use the phone's auxiliary buttons as though the camera app was in the foreground as normal.

unfortunately, the memory manager has been adjusted so that apps are now suspended as soon as you access the app switcher. as a result, this will no longer work.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  5. Joey Self

That appears to be the case, and there's nothing I can do about it, if I understand what you are saying (short of going back to the previous OS).

JcS

6. drasil

drasil Former Resident

right. and you can't even do that--ios is not downgradeable unless you jailbreak your phone (and sometimes not even then, depending).

7. Joey Self

ARRRRRGHHHHHH.

I don't mind OS 9, I just don't expect an upgrade to be a downgrade, ifuknowhutimean.

JcS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.