Talent shows. Anybody else hate them ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pocofan, Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

The singing and dancing shows. Hate them. After the first few shows they are all pretty good. After that it is pretty much who appeals to you more than somebody equally talented. Americas Got No Talent. Jeez what a crap excuse for a show. The bald guy will pass some of the stupidest stuff. The lady that talks and laughs more manly than most men. Heidi, now there is a real judge of talent. What WAS hers?? Walking a model runway ??

2. Didn't Sir George Martin once say something like he'd rather finish his days in poverty than being a judge at one of those shows?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  3. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Talent shows of all types on TV are past their prime. Outside a select few, most seem like amusement park show singers.

forthlin and seed_drill like this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The Gong Show was supposed to be a talent show with good acts, but they couldn't find any, so it turned into what you know.

6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

America's Got Talent is garbage.
    I'd much rather watch the Gong Show than that.
    Entertainment culture is in ruins and has been for a long time now...

MikaelaArsenault and Drew like this.
  7. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

I've never watched a single one and I plan to keep it that way.

Hightops, Rhett, Al Kuenster and 2 others like this.
  8. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Rhett and Gumboo like this.
  9. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Rhett and Gumboo like this.
  10. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I've watched America's Got Talent when Stern was on, and a little before that. I'd watched every episode this season until last night. The show is too scripted for me anymore. Those digs between the judges. Pure fantasy. I got to the point when it was just too much last night and I turned to something else within 25 minutes.

I agree that these things are past their prime. I'd rather see an entertainment show with acts just for the exposure they would get. I've had it with performance competition.

11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I used to like them just to watch the fails during the try out period. Gave up on AGT a few seasons ago when it became 95% sob story/inspirational acts with a 2 minute montage of fails. Gave up on the others before that even.
    In theory, The Gong Show should fill the hole, but I saw half of the first episode and the stupid acts seemed purposely stupid (as seems to have been the case in the '70s). That's not really the same for me. I may keep watching, though, since it's summer. That'll be a pretty mind-off Thursday night: Beat Shazam and Love Connection on FOX, then The Gong Show. :laugh:

12. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I'm past burnt out on them......

13. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I enjoy America's Got Talent at times (the pickings on "mainline" broadcast TV are very, very slim to begin with). But I instantly tire of the "spin", which the network writers' add, I suppose, to manipulate the viewing audience and increase ratings. It is actually cruel to allow someone one who at best has mediocre talent perform on the show, and thereby validate their cause: sibling committed suicide, uncle with colon cancer, blind artists, deaf musicians, ALS sufferers performing mimes, etc.
    When they have a sentimental cause, they almost always are passed on to the next round of competition, and then -- somewhat "out of audiences' short attention span", they are unceremoniously kicked to the side of the curb because they didn't have sufficient talent to justify their initial win. But this meat market approach keeps alive the (false) hope that "anybody, and I mean ANYBODY" can be talented, win, and strike it rich. Which if course, is totally false, whether applied to talent shows or American life in general.

driverdrummer and OldSoul like this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I'm not a fan, so that would have to be yes.

15. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

The fakeness is laid on too thick. I hate how every contestant has to have an inspiring backstory.
    I also hate how American Ninja Warrior constantly promotes that men and women are equal competitors on a physical level. Did I mention that I hate fake?

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

haven't seen one since maybe season two of American idol. life s too short and there are a thousand movies to watch, imagine 95 percent of the public haven't seen more than 1 or 2 Hitchcock / Billy Wilder films but many have seen multiple (insert crappy talent show titles here).

17. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

What kills me is all the sympathy stories. Just I don't have talent put me through because you feel sorry for me.

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I hate them. espeically when I lose!

19. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I enjoy the Ted Mack Amateur Hour, and shows of that era.

20. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Talent shows and reality shows, I have no time for either.

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Karaoke, that's all the singing shows are! Good for you if you can sing, can you write your own music??

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

I enjoyed the first two seasons of So You Think You Can Dance.

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've never seen one, but my sister watched them, so I would occasionally see a performance. What I saw never made me want to see more. For one, I'm allergic to melisma. For another, I want to see talent and skill, not "human interest". That junk has ruined the Olympics.

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

These shows are uniformly bad. The singing one is especially offensive due to them promoting a certain 'type'. A singer like Ella, or Sarah Vaughn, or even a Lou Rawls would never get past the preliminary trials. Forget about a James Brown or Wilson Pickett. These shows play no small part in the dumbing down of the musical consciousness of American youth!

Tellyawhat though, I've often wondered whether an Ed Sullivan type of variety show could stand a chance today.

25. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

As a kid I watched a few episodes of "Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour" and even then I thought it was pretty bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.