"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

In some parts it's very noticeable and in other parts lesser in amount.

Although, I've listened to it only in the vehicle thus far, so naturally that's a rather sizeable limitation. Haven't crashed with the earbuds in on the living room couch to it yet, but I hope to soon...or hope to stay awake so I can enjoy it all or at least to a reasonable portion.

2. Thanks. It's on my Xmas list along with the other remixes. I used my wad of cash for the Ian Hunter Stranded in Reality box and the King Crimson box (On and Off the Road)

3. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Tried to do that...got weak, had to get it - and glad that I have.

formu_la likes this.
  4. Okay, WTF is up with this BD?

I've ripped everything from the BD and the booklet reads that I should be getting 24/96, but instead, in a lot of cases it's 24/48.

In fact, even the layout on the disc is wonky. Where the hell are the alternate takes, or am I just losing my mind? Isn't there supposed to be an original stereo mix in 24/192?

I checked my Fragile BD and ripped a few, using the same method, and Fragile had no problems between the same rates in the notes and in the actual files, so I don't think anything is wrong with my ripping method.

(sorry of this might have been covered, but I had to wait until I got this for my birthday, so I didn't follow the thread that much. Plus, there was a lot of arguing or something). ha!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  5. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Yes, the 48 instead of 96 has been discussed. We were told that they ran out of space on the disc and had to do that for a few songs in order to fit everything.

As far as not being able to find alternate takes when ripping, I don't recall hearing anything about that. Hopefully someone else who has ripped the blu will come along shortly to help you w/ that.

Arguing? What arguing? ;) :rolleyes:

Actually, since the thread got shut down, then re-opened, it has been very peaceful- but very quiet. I don't know if that's b/c many disappeared due to the drama (I know some have) or if most everyone has got theirs and already said what they wanted to say.

I'm still loving the 5.1 mix and playing it more often than I ever play any content- old, new or re-mixed. I still have yet to listen to anything else on this release- but I only have the dvd-a and am on odd bird to begin with...

I played this every day for 4-5 days, then every other day for another week or so. I'm gradually tapering off, as I don't want to burn out this great music, but it will remain in regular rotation for a while.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Those involved in making the BD found that all the hi-rez that they had promised would not fit into one BD disc - so they reduced the resolution of some tracks so that it would all fit onto one disc.

They also could not get hold of a good copy of the studio run-through of the first track, and so replaced this with the longer Rhino version.
    (Note that even the BD menu is wrong as it doesn't take account of the change).

They did not bother to tell anyone about these changes before the disc was released.

Go back through this thread and you will find that forum members did notice, and the company was notified.

They then posted the reasons why they made the changes. But they never apologised for not updating the specifications even though this would have been trivial to do on the internet.

This forum is divided into those who think that just because they personally don't care about the changes it is fine to sell a product not as specified,
    and those, like me, who think that even though the cut down version is still a great release, it is wrong to sell a product that does not meet specification,
    and this difference in views produces many, many pages of endless back-and-forth.

Which ever side of this debate readers are on, I hope you think this is a reasonable summary of what happened.

7. Renz

Renz Forum Resident

The bluray arrived this weekend, playing it for the first time this morning. I'm primarily interested in the 5.1 version and that's what I've started listening to.

Tales is a very special album for me, I think I must have been 12 (1975) when I borrowed it off my cousin and taped it. It was probably the first album I really got into and played it incessantly on an old crappy portable cassette recorder. I must admit anything progressive or rock orientated was pretty easy after that initiation! I had a very special connection with it but over time it slowly got put one the wayside. I would occasionally come back to it but for some reason it wouldn't stir me in the same way that it did all those years ago. I've gone from a crappy cassette player to a pretty decent system but it still didn't pull on the heartstrings.

I've decided to interupt my listening session having just got through The Revealing Science of God and I'm not too embarrassed to admit that I had goosebumps from the start to the finish and that I had tears in my eyes at the end.
    How poignant "we must have waited all or lives for this" in the finale.
    I've so far refused to have a facebook account but if the rest is as good as this I'm going to have to rethink because I have to find a way to thank Steven Wilson for what he's just done for me.

8. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

I expect my copy to arrive next week, and I hope I have a similar experience to you.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  9. JimW

I think this is an over-simplification if not outright inaccurate. Personally, the changes do not bother me in that I find them trivial- for me, not that I think others should feel the same. That does NOT mean I think it's fine to sell a product that is not as advertised. But there's no denying it resulted in a lot of back and forth. But endless and many, many pages seem like hyperbole.

10. JimW

LOL! Nothing like diving right into the deep end, huh?

So glad it's been re-invigorated for you with this stellar 5.1 mix. I agree totally w/ your feelings re: "we must have waited..." Always a peak for me, but w/ added significance now w/ this mix.

Hope to hear more of your thoughts once you've heard the whole thing.

Renz likes this.
  11. milco

milco Forum Resident

I had a similar-ish experience to you. As a teenager, I had always been put off buying TFTO because even the mate I knew who was into Yes didn't really like it (and it was a double album so would cost too much pocket money to take the risk, buy it, and judge it for myself). Eventually another friend borrowed it from Liverpool Central record library and lent it to me. From the page tacked to the front of the album that gets stamped I could see it had been borrowed about 80-90 times over a five year period. It was a good, chunky, original pressing but scratched to buggery.

As I sat there and listened, however, through the haze of surface noise and the crackle of scratches, it had me transfixed! The melodies were sublime, the arrangements and musicianship stunning. I felt like I had found a lost Oracle...the Holy Grail! I knew 'Relayer' backwards by this point (actually everything up to GFTO) so the album's complexities and labyrinthine contruction didn't phase me one bit. In fact, I thought it sounded pretty similar in construction and style to 'CTTE' and 'Relayer'. For a long time it was my favourite Yes album.

Of course over the years I have bought my own vinyl and CD copies; but curiously during this time of listening to it on ever better systems and in hugely improved resolution over the past 20 years, the album has 'slipped back into the pack' for me; lost some of its magic. Is it the relatively slow tempo of the album, the density of the mix, a certain lack of focus across the four sides? I feel for it to regain its place alongside my other favourite Yes albums I need to hear it 'with fresh ears' and in a radical, different way. That is why I am looking forward to hearing the SW stereo remix. I need a 'second coming' and complete revisiting of this album -- something to put the spark back in. I suspect my new copy will be arriving in Santa's sack! I shall be back on this thread (if it hasn't been removed again!) to post my impressions and reactions to hearing it in a few weeks...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    LordJohn, JimW and Renz like this.
  12. moops

moops Senior Member

You could relate these comments to this actual thread .....
    I'm not sure how many here would be thinking this is what we've waited all our life for, although I suspect many have been moved to tears by it. :winkgrin:

JimW likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

TFTO was definitely a part of growing up for me in '70s. One of my first concerts was Yes at the Boston Garden in '74. It was an incredible show that blew me away because of the stage show and of course the music! Listening to the TFTO 5.1 did not move me to tears but I can certainly see how it could for some. The 5.1 mix is excellent and one of my new favorites :)!

Hymie the Robot and JimW like this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

In fact, you shouldn't be embarrased at all, that track one of those Yes perfect moments. Nice to see that you still find it moving.

JimW likes this.
  15. moops

moops Senior Member

I'm not doubting anyone's love for TFTO, just the timeless appeal of this 111 page monstrosity. :eek:

16. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Found this on the YesFans forum. Here's the live version of Ritual from the set but it's been mixed with 2 audience recordings for more of a stereo sound. I still don't have the set so I can't say if it sounds better but I think it sounds pretty good.

brunofaetten likes this.
  17. Say guys, I'm a little confused when ripping the blu ray. I don't have my serious listening rig with me right now, and the menus are little confusing.

Can someone tell me which files are the UK and US needledrops?

Thanks in advance.

18. Or, can anyone tell me the complete runtimes from the UK needledrop and the US needledrop separately?

19. Northern Lights

Northern Lights Forum Resident

Title02 named file 00006.mpls with a runtime of 1:21:57 is the original U.K. Vinyl transfer.
    Title03 named file 00007.mpls without a runtime of 1:22:21 is the US Banded Promo Vinyl Transfer.

I figured that out by using MakeMKV to get the individual tracks from the BluRay to my harddrive and then playing the *.mkv files with the VLC Player. The background images with the names are shown by the player, so it's safe to identify the different parts.

The other 4 track titles are
    Title06 named file 00003.mpls with a runtime of 1:23:36 are the Alternat Takes
    Title07 named file 00002.mpls with a runtime of 1:21:18 is the Original Mix
    Enjoy the music

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Plan9 likes this.
  20. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

From my recollection, the original Atlantic cd release was the preferred version for most . Can anyone tell me how that compares to the Wilson release for the Stereo mix? I'm trying to determine if I need to keep the Atlantic if I purchase the Wilson set. Thanks very much.

21. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Interestingly, even though I have enjoyed Wilson's stereo remix (and still do), hearing it has also made me appreciate the original mix more than I did before.

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Makes sense to me. The remix kinda teaches me what to listen for in the original mix.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You could keep both versions. Or you can decide when you get the TFTO SW remix which version you prefer and which version to keep. I wish I had the original Atlantic CD release so I could compare it to the SW stereo mix. I have the Joe Gastwirt remastered CD from 1994 which when compared to the SW stereo mix doesn't sound very good IMO. I'm not going to bother getting the original Atlantic CD as I'm happy with the SW stereo mix and will mostly be listening to the 5.1 mix anyhow.

24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

We have the flat transfer of the original stereo master on the new TFTO set, so the old Atlantic has become dispensable in my opinion.

25. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

the original Atlantic CD sounds really different from the flat transfer on the bluray .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.