Talk me into a Clearaudio Concept

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by I333I, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm ready to upgrade my TT (currently have a Pro-Ject Debut with Ortofon Bronze), as it's the weak spot in my setup. I was originally thinking VPI Scout, but I wouldn't mind spending a little less money and one day investing in a better cartridge (I'll probably fit the Clearaudio with my Ortofon Bronze for now).
    If I buy one, I just don't want to upgrade or WANT to upgrade if I make this purchase. I've listened to both TT's separately and can't say that I had a clear favorite between the two. I am hoping to be done with upgrades in components for at least 10 years and am wondering if this Concept will fit the bill.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Can't say I've lost the itch to upgrade, but I like my Concept Wood a lot. It's been trouble-free for a couple years of use (I've only replaced the belt once) and it seems to be of very good quality.

If you want a Concept I'd suggest stepping up to the Wood variant and the upgraded Satisfy tonearm (the carbon fiber version of that arm is even better still). The package with the pre-installed Concept MC cartridge is even better, but I started with a 2M Bronze and it was a very nice combination.

I've heard the Scout, and that's nice too. There's not a huge difference in my mind...I think they're pretty comparable. I think you need to spend significantly more to get much better than these 'tables.

3. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

Big fan... I also upgraded from a ProJect Debut w/ an Ortofon bronze... very happy with the results.
    I Almost went with a VPI Classic 1 from the internetz (and was also looking at a Clearaudio Performance DC), but got to demo this for a few weeks and decided to pull the trigger. I got the Satisfy carbon fiber tonearm. I also upgraded the cartridge to the AT Art-9.
    The tonearm on the Concept Wood was a better tonearm than the one on the Performance DC (that I was considering)... also, I believe the Satisfy tonearm retails for more than what the stock VPI Classic tonearm goes for (at least in the States)... can't speak to performance though.
    Finally, the Satisfy tonearm alleviates the problems that some people had with the regular Concept: footfalls

beowulf, I333I and snorker like this.
  4. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

5. Rubico

Rubico Member

I want to mention that the scout is now the prime scout and sports a couple small upgrades that might put it over the top for you.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    I333I and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Death to that elf!

7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the prime scout looks like an amazing deal at its price!

8. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I've heard great things about the wood and satisfy combo. I think if you check ebay with international listings there's a great price through one of the shops overseas.

toddrhodes likes this.
  9. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I had the basic concept + concept MM cart and it was very good, but I prefer my upstairs Music Hall 7.1 to it. But, to echo the above, the Wood + Satisfy seems to be a really great combination. I will say, sound aside, the Concept is one of my favorite TT designs. So simple, classy, elegant.

10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Been running one for 2+ years without a single hiccup. I do run it on an isolation platform (Avid) and have no footfall or vibration issues.

Currently running a Soundsmith MI/MC Star Cartridge on it.

If possible, I would get either their MC Cart, or one without a Cart and use your Bronze. The CA Concept MM Cart was not my favorite,

11. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I liked the MM when it was stock but I had an unfortunate incident with the cantilever and tried to Frankenstein it with "stock" AT stylus replacements based on Internet reading. Hated it afterward. Finally replaced it with a Maestro Wood V1 and, to this day, not really sure why I sold it :( Great combo.

Edit - pertinent info: the Concept + Concept MM was basically my first table, so I was bound to "like" it no matter what ;)

12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got in touch with a seller on eBay and their wood variation doesn't come with the Satisfy arm. I'm wondering if I get this TT and just upgrade to Satisfy at some point?

13. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

What are you waiting for buy a CA Concept why let others make your decision?

14. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

IMO I've been told to get it right from the start, clearaudio wood with carbon fiber satisfy arm. Pay more for it today and it will last a lifetime! The tonearm sold separately costs way too much.

15. padreken

padreken Senior Member

It's a fine choice-when you move up to$1-$2k price point, you get some truly great tables that do justice to the better cartridges. (in addition to the Concept, the Rega RP6, Music Hall MMF 7.3, VPI Scout 1.1 & Pro-Ject 2Xperience are all worthy choices).

16. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

IMHO forget the wood (unless you absolutely love the finish) as it's an additional $400 up-charge strictly for cosmetics. The standard Concept is available with the Satisfy arm for a $400 up-charge.

1) Concept w/Verify $1400

2) Concept w/Satisfy $1800

3) Concept wood w/Satisfy $2200

17. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Ive only got it in as a stock Concept with the MM cart but I love it. Great table, not had any problems with it at all. Sounds great, and it makes me happy with everything I play on it.

TheRealMcCoy likes this.
  18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It's not only cosmetic, as the whole plinth is baltic birch rather than the MDF on the regular version. However, if the OP has a strict budget I agree the regular Concept with the Satisfy would be the best bet.

19. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Q: Do wood plinths sound significantly better than MDF ones?

I want to believe that they do, 'cuz wood is a 'classier' material than MDF, but the densities of the two materials aren't much different. MDF has a specific gravity of .57 to .70, while birch comes in around .67

Is there a reason why wood would sound better, if it does? Not arguing, I just don't know and would like to.

dchang81 likes this.
  20. Still

Still Well-Known Member

I believe fine speed controls were moved to the back on the Wood from the bottom on the original, thus improving access. Can you confirm this Snorker?

21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

:laugh: You're asking the wrong guy! I was just referring to the difference in price, which I presumed was justified to some extent because of the use of wood rather than MDF, i.e. the entire plinth is wood, it's not just a veneer. But my presumption that making a plinth out of plywood is any more expensive than MDF may be wrong too.

22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Mine does indeed have the fine speed adjustment trim screws on the back, and I know the original regular Concept did not...in the manual it shows a horribly convoluted way of adjusting the speed. But I think they may have updated the design since then so that the regular Concept also has the trim screws on the back. Can anybody with a regular Concept confirm that?

23. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The acoustical properties of different types of boards if affected by more than density. Wood typically resonates more than plywood, which resonates more than MDF.

cadeallaw likes this.
  24. missan

missan Forum Resident

It isnĀ“t this easy.

25. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

I find that the baltic birch, constrained layer plinth, is both visually attractive and sonically rich and smooth ;)

snorker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.