Talk me into a Clearaudio Concept

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by I333I, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

One word : Corinthian Leather Mat

Kristofa and AaronW like this.
  2. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I had a Concept MC for a few months and wasn't satisfied with it. I found it somewhat dull and lifeless (w/Basic Plus phono stage). Also, motor noise was always noticeable, especially when using headphones in close proximity to the table. I'm much happier with my current RP6/Exact. YMMV.

3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The trim controls are on the back on all current Concept models.

snorker likes this.
  4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

[​IMG]

5. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Good point, there's the 'damping factor' as well.

But if wood resonates more than MDF, seems like it's a worse material to use than MDF, not better?...

dchang81 likes this.
  6. J.Hammershaug

J.Hammershaug Forum Resident

Not just cosmetics. The Wood has an aluminum machined sub-platter and rear-mounted fine speed adjustment. Standard Concept has a (Plastic) sub-platter made of some composite material, I think.

Otherwise I agree with your statement.

7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Nope, the standard Concept has the same aluminum machined sub-platter and rear-mounted fine speed adjustment. Only the very early Concepts had the composite sub-platter.

[​IMG]

8. paddycook

paddycook Senior Member

Here's the aforementioned composite sub-platter. Nothing wrong with it. My Concept holds up very well against my Ovation.

[​IMG]

FashionBoy and J.Hammershaug like this.
  9. J.Hammershaug

I stand corrected. Read an outdated article, obviously.

10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Recently reduced my main system to the Concept with Soundsmith MIMC Star -> PS Audio GCPH -> [Cardas XLR] -> PS Audio GCA 100 - > Focal 918.

I am amazed how much more I like the sound using the balanced output and inputs over the RCAs w/ Pre.

Everything is just plain jumping, now.

Davey likes this.
  11. J.Hammershaug

Interesting thread btw. I am also planning an upgrade very soon. Concept and/or Performance and a Nottingham Spacedeck is on top of my list.

paddycook likes this.
  12. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Sounds like a nice and simple system, bet it does sound great.

Just a heads up for anyone in the Concept market, there is one for sale over at AA for $700, and also a PS Audio GCPH for $425. No affiliation, but I did buy another piece from the guy selling the PS, and it was fast and trouble free. No idea about the Concept or the seller, but I could see those pieces making a great little inexpensive analog system front-end.

13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I heartily endorse this setup! :righton:

At that price, it is a major steal. And the GCPH will handle anything you want to mount as far as carts go.

14. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ended up getting the Concept.
    I will say this-if you get a cartridge pre-mounted, just LEAVE IT BE.
    I tried mounting my Ortofon Bronze and all hell broke loose. I ended up paying $700 for a new cartridge and a professional to mount it. Took it home and the arm flew around whenever I tiptoed past the TT. Took it back. Same thing. Took it to someone else and he couldn't get the force gauge at a consistent reading. Turns out, it is IMPOSSIBLE to do so. I wish
    A. I knew this earlier. I wouldn't have touched it.
    B. I probably wouldn't have purchased this TT if I knew it would be so hard to switch the cartridge. I've switched cartridges before and never had this problem.
    There are no notches, so I really have no idea what the weight is, so I sit and wonder if it's too heavy. Is it too light? I try using my digital scale but it is so inconsistent. One position says 2.1g and one says 1.6.
    Crazy.

15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I balance the arm.

Then set the over hang.

Then I dial up some min force (1g or so) and set the angle.

Then I recheck everything and finally dial in my tracking force.

Works fine that way. And I am not deft at cart changes.

16. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:doh: Sounds like you took it to someone who knows nothing about Clearaudio magnetic tonearms! Their tracking force is very specific to the distance between the cartridge and the playing surface. As it's a magnet, the reading drastically changes depending on the distance where it was taken. Use the small metal rocking scale included with the turntable and it will calculate the correct VTF at the playing surface. The Clearaudio Satisfy tonearm option is recommended if the turntable is not on a solid subfloor or wall shelf, suspended wood floors + magnetic arm = bad idea.

slazechko likes this.
  17. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

As a turntable becomes such a "scientific" instrument that it becomes difficult for a typical user to understand and/or use, that's not great. I expect that my turntables should be engineered for excellent usability in a wide variety of circumstance, conditions and by a wide variety of consumers. I don't want my toasters to require much thinking, nor my furnace, nor my A/V equipment. The Clearaudio magnetic tonearms are items that I've read about multiple times causing users headaches. I have no doubt that for the technically sophisticated user, they are a delight, but appear to be just a little too clever and sensitive, without perhaps enough supporting training and/or documentation for new users, to be appealing to a lot of us. I'm not interested in analog becoming akin to working in a laboratory setting.

18. I333I

I took it to a high end audio store where I purchased my Rogue because I couldn't find any Clearaudio dealers around the LA area. Are you aware of any dealers that would have more knowledge in the LA or Ventura county area?
    And as far as floors go, we have wood floors, but I have the TT on a pretty stable 5ft tall component rack.

19. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

20. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Whoa whoa, you expect to be able to find a knowledgeable dealer to help you with your new space ship in a city/metro with only 20 million people in it? That's asking a lot fella!

:)

21. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Clearaudio dealer locator

22. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

So for those with these tonearms does Clearaudio not provide detailed information and instructions so that average buyer guy can understand and set them up?

23. I333I

24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

There are rudimentary instructions re. setup in the owner's manual. But, nothing extremely detailed.

Best to get yourself a protractor, stylus force gauge and then watch 3-4 setup videos on youtube.
    It's really simple stuff.

Just not on the heels of 3-4 cups of coffee.

timind likes this.
  25. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

For anti-skating adjustment on the Concept, the manual says take it to a dealer. Pretty funny. They don't seem to understand how we can't help it. We have to adjust something.

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.