Talk Me Into (or out of) a Mac/B&W Combo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rgcoleman9, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

You're welcome. :cool:

2. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Almost done, they will be in issue #40. Definitely keeping the review pair, trading up from my 805 Diamonds.

3. motorcitydave

That's cool, thanks for the info. I look forward to your review. Another question for ya; do you know why B&W discontinued the 801D?

4. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I've used that combo and it's not my favorite. There are amps I prefer with B&Ws and speakers I prefer with Macs but for me those B&W tweeters are a little harsh with Macs - they don't really go well with the strength of a Mac and overemphasise the upper mids.

that's just one man's opinion.

I love Macs and I love B&Ws however.

5. rgcoleman9

rgcoleman9 Member Thread Starter

One of my concerns is the massive size and weight of the MA7000. Will it even fit on a normal rack? I know it won't fit on the crummy wooden shelf I'm using now. But, dang, it's cool-lookin' :love:

As for B&W, the 802s would be way too big for my room. I like the size and sound of the 803s, but I did not hear them with the McIntosh (yet).

Well, I'm not rushing into anything...I want something that will last the rest of my life.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

So, buy a new house! Problem solved.

:winkgrin:

7. rgcoleman9

You know, a new house might actually be cheaper than a pair of 802s!:sigh:

8. PrestigeWW

PrestigeWW Forum Resident

One thing to keep in mind is that the MA7000 only has a MM phono input (I think). Of course, you can always add a phono pre if you decide to go MC on your TT.

What about a C48 and a used MC252 or 352 from Audioclassics? About the same price as a MA7000. Just a thought..

9. motorcitydave

In all seriousness, I quickly glanced @ B&Ws site and it looks like the 802 is not that much larger than the 803.

I would get the 802 as well; subjectively better speaker, more desirable, and better resale value.

10. motorcitydave

A house? Retail price is 15k, not 150k.

11. rgcoleman9

Yeah, I know.

So are you guys saying the 802s would be a better match with the MA7000 than the 803s?

12. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

As above, either Mac or Bryston would be a great choice w/ those B&W speakers.

13. motorcitydave

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/Products.html

I wouldn't say a better match because I personally haven't heard B&W with McIntosh.

Oddly enough, sensitivity and impedance are the same for both speakers.

So on paper, the MA7000 should be able to drive both 802 and 803 Diamonds.

14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No, the 802D is reference class, which is why it is used in many recording/mastering studios around the World. The 803D is excellent, but the 802D is a big step up (as it should be for the price). The most appreciable difference is in the bass performance. Unless you can afford it, I would advise against auditioning the 802, because then you may be unable to live without it!!

15. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Why settle for less than you want. Life is too short. My 802Ds were the first piece of my upgrading and I love them even with the lesser pieces until I can upgrade them.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yep. 802D should be the last speaker you ever invest in. Unless you're crazy rich and want to blow $50K on something different one day.

17. motorcitydave

That makes sense....and that 802 looks like it gives a lot of bang for the buck, true? Did you ever get a chance to audition the (now discontinued) 801Ds?

18. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

If you get the 802D's you may not even need an MA7000. They are very easy to drive and even with 40wpc of tube power they sound great. They actually work quite nicely with the MC 275... :)

I agree with Ronin. Get the speakers you love and upgrade your system around them.

gingerly likes this.
  19. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I still think this pairing looks better than the 802's , even in this empty room..
    synergie is excellent as well.

( funny thing I just noticed this guy got the same Mac mini and the same LaCie Neil Poulton HD with that glowing blue light...lol.
    wished I had the same amp and speakers, too...)

Attached Files:

20. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

If you are going to drop close to 15K on a pair of speakers, there are a lot of things to investigate.

gingerly likes this.
  21. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

RG:wave:,

I'm having a pair of 802 Diamonds delivered next week along with a pair of McIntosh 601 monoblocks (yep--I sold a lot of records this spring). Gotta have something new to play the new AF-- James Taylor-Sweet Baby James... and Heart's Greatest Hits on--right? Consider me as one talking you into the combo......Go to a Brick and Mortar--listen a lot--I did--- Pictures coming soon:goodie:

Mike

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I haven't done much listening lately, but my impression based on reviews is that Sonus Faber speakers are more laid back while B&Ws have a more forward sound. Is this correct? I've also heard that both match well with McIntosh so I'm imagining two very different sounds.

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Party at Mike's house!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Look forward to your report when you finally get around to dragging yourself away from your new toys! :)

24. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Party at Baron's house!

25. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

The B&W's are more forward than SF, but the current version of the Diamond speakers are not as much so as the previous model. That's why you really need to sit down and listen to determine which you prefer. Both mate very well with Mc gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.