Talk me out of purchasing another pair of vintage speakers...something new for under a grand?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

It's funny because I had a lot of people tell me twenty years ago that Klipsch was only good for headbangers.

There is a lot that can be done to improve Klassic Klipsch speakers but for most people the first move is to replace the godawful T-35 EV Avedon driver.

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

KEF did something similar with their Uni-Q drivers. Various models over the years. Not sure about others, but KEF and Tannoy have pretty inpressive histories.

3. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

The Uni-Q and Tannoy Dual Concentric are coaxial drivers, like Altec's famous Duplex line, and others made in the US, Japan and others. SEAS in Norway makes this:
    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/coaxial/seas-prestige-t18rex/xfc-h1353-7-coaxial-clear-cone/

The Tannoy DCs were and are superb drivers but Tannoy has decided not to sell the classic driver except as part of their big, ugly, and grossly over priced cabinets, which drove me to the Altec 604, which is not quite as nice as the DC but is still a great speaker.

Brother_Rael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.