Talking Heads to reform ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by culabula, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author. Thread Starter

2. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Well the article itself says the rumor was debunked on April 5th. Wish it was true though.

scobb, dee, rstamberg and 1 other person like this.
  3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  4. culabula

culabula Unread author. Thread Starter

Oh? Didn't notice.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm not holding my breath. Even if they are recording stuff, David is focused on the new rather than the old. It would have to be very fresh.
    While I'm not a fan of the collaboration lp with St Vincent, I recognize that he is always on the move and creatively restless.

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

A Talking Heads reunion is probably on the list with the Smiths, the Jam and Husker Du on the "never ever" list.

7. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Not gonna happen, but I wish they would. That would be one of the few reunions that could produce compelling new material.

8. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Thread title should be "Talking Heads Still Not Reforming"

ARK, Moshe, mdm08033 and 3 others like this.
  9. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

I didn't click on your link, but your thread got me intrigued - momentarily!

Top of my personal list but not holding my breath.

10. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Chris Frantz is dropping hints on his Facebook page to make it look like a possibility. We shall see

dee likes this.
  11. Once the bass player makes belittling remarks about the frontman's equipment, I'd say a reunion is off the table.

12. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Yeah, when you've got a member of the band talking smack on the primary songwriter and frontman, it comes off like sour grapes - petty ones at that. Byrne may not be a teddy bear, but I don't recall him calling into question the character or even talent of his former bandmates. That's all Frantz unless someone can set me straight otherwise.

Under those circumstances, I can't imagine we'd get any kind of genuine reunion and it'd be an uncomfortable waste of time.

PDK likes this.
  14. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Correct. I was surprised when Byrne recently collaborated with Harrison again on his Bernie Worrell fundraiser.

15. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

First, it seems so unlikely Byrne would ever do this (even without all of the drama between Weymouth and Byrne over the last 2+ decades, artistically it seems like he's long since moved on).

Second, I love the first few Talking Heads LPs. I like the last few, but I don't need a reunion just to get another Naked or True Stories. I'm not much of a fan of Byrne's solo work, but I'd take Everything That Happens over any of the later TH LPs.

16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

For years now, Chris and Tina have been dropping comments like - they hope it will happen, they are open to it happening, or they think it should happen. None of it has swayed Byrne's determined resistance. I wouldn't want a TH reunion that involved a reluctant or begrudging Byrne, the tepid one-off RR Hall of Fame performance made that clear.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't think there's the same level of estrangement/hostility with Jerry that there is with Tina and by extension Chris.

brew ziggins and Dudley Morris like this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Good thing Keith Richards doesn't play bass that often

19. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

True, but Byrne sued all 3 over The Heads' No Talking, Just Head

20. But as certain legitimate businessmen like to say, I'm sure it was nothing personal - just business.

quicksrt and Beamish13 like this.
  21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That's probably because they could use the cash. :whistle:

22. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Maybe so but they do have writing credit on some of the biggest Heads songs including Life During Wartime, Burning Down the House, and Psycho Killer. They also have done really well with Genius of Love. Still, I'm sure Byrne is far richer and that is no doubt a big part of why he's in no hurry to do this.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I wonder if Byrne losing both parents in 2013/2014 factored into thinking about reuniting?

Mortality/passage of time/regret.

I also wonder if the window is closing with him still being able to sing the old songs serviceably.

dee likes this.
  24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Not sure anyone knows how much Byrne paid out when his 17 year marriage ended in 2004.

Beamish13 likes this.
  25. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Byrne's former wife was already well-off before their split, and I'm sure they had a prenuptial agreement. They only had one child, who was an adult by the time they broke up.

quicksrt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.