Taming sibilance with VLC's equalizer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

Just got a pair of Thonet&Vander speakers to watch series and movies on the PC and some files present annoying sibilance with dialogue, everything else(music, etc) sounding just fine. Been fiddling with VLC's equalizer but can't determine what frequencies should I tamper with to paliate the problem.

Anyone familiar with this ?

2. The Pinhead

3. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation some time ago. After lots of research and experimentation, it turned out that the Denon receiver I was using did an absolutely horrible job at decoding Dolby Digital Plus.

Do you know the provenance of the files you're playing? Did you rip them yourself? If so, how?

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

Thanx; no I didn't rip them myself. I download series like Arrow, Supernatural and Flash in mkv format so I can watch them in HDrip without commercial break as oppossed to the horrendous SD my cable provides. My speakers are fed by the PC directly (they're computer speakers; they have an internal amp).

5. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Sounds like my way of watching TV. Always had a dedicated laptop feeding my receiver and speakers using VLC. At the moment I'm not using the headphone socket out of the laptop but a USB external sound port (not as good as a DAC) as the sound is better. With vocals I usually tweak about the 1-3 kHz range.

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

If it was me I'd try to stop it happening in the first place but if you want a sticking plaster solution, sibilance is around 7 kHz. It can vary a lot but that's the place to start.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.