Tangent TM 3 Bookshelf Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kjb, Jul 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjb

kjb Member Thread Starter

Anyone have any info on these speakers? Seen some stuff on the RS series but nothing on these.:confused:
    Thanks

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I believe they were the moniters as in Tangent Moniters. I have the TM1's which are the same size as the RS4's.

I love Tangent speakers. But the RS series sounds better to me.

I am looking for a pair of RS2's........... maybe 2 sets! Hard to find around these parts, though.

3. kjb

Gary, what size are your TM1's? The TM3's are 37x26x29 (hxwxd)cm.

I've heard the RS series are best, but I've never heard them. These little TM3's sound wonderful, nice sweet highs and mids, a very full natural sound, and punchy enough if I want to rock.

I think I'll start looking for more Tangents

:D but yeah very hard to find.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

There is a member here called Joseph who is a Tangent owner, too! He has RS8's and RS4's but is moving shortly so I think he's packing and may not see this thread for a while. If ever.

The RS series is a bass reflex design. Both series use the KEF T-27 tweeters. But RS uses Audax drivers (made in France) and the TM series uses KEF drivers. KEF, of course, is English!

IMO the best Tangent speaker is the RS8. It's a three way speaker with drivers that were specifically designed for the speaker. I think they were called Dalesford (I'd probably have to pull apart one of my RS8's to be sure.... and I aint doin' that! ;) ). They have different tweeters, too. Although tall, they still sound amazing for a 30 year old speaker!

The RS6's were also three way speakers. I have a pair - very nice sound.

Another friend has the RS4's and RS2's. The RS2's are what attracted him to this speaker line. He could not believe the sound coming our of those little speakers.

And I have my TM1's. I can measure them for you when I get home.

Did you know that Tangent made a turntable? It was a "walking disaster", though. :sigh: Sort of too delicate and flaky. The Tangent Pre and Power Amp was a very high current amp. The volume switch goes to 22 - at five it's pretty darn loud!

I still prefer my tubes for the power supply, though!

I heard that the reason Tangent went out of business because they spent too much research on R&D. They were developing the RS10 but it never went into production. So if you ever hear the "RS10" rumour, the speakers do not exist!

Sorry to "talk" you're ear off here!

Gary

5. kjb

So Gary, your a Tangent kinda guy:cool: Thanks for the reply. Yeah measure those TM1"s when you have a minute.

Still would like to find some more info on these, maybe a manual or some specs.

Well at least we know the're small,British and sound great:thumbsup:

Thanks

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ken, later Tangents were made in Canada (after the British company went broke) and sounded.... less than perfect.

Just thought you should know!

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Well, the TM1's are H: 25", D: 12.5" and W: 12.25". Sorry, don't have a metric measuring tape.

They are about the same size as the RS4's.

Guess what? Pulled off the fronts and they ARE bass reflex! Sorry for misleading you. They've been in storage for a while....

You know, combined we have 4 TM series speakers. Sounds like the beginning of a surround system, huh?

8. kjb

Wow, almost twice as tall as mine.

The Tm3's are not bass reflex. Still a great little speaker.
    Thanks for all the info Gary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.