Tangerine dream best album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Yes,just like comparing 1967 Pink Floyd to the 80s version is silly,same name but the band is totally different.

2. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

For me Zeit/Rubycon,2 different sounds not far apart in years but both sooooo good.

3. Rmono

Rmono Forum Resident

"Alpha Centauri" is so great, but "Zeit" and "Atem" are also amazing. The first album is wonderful, too, with Klaus Schulze on drums, but the band came into its own on "Alpha Centauri."

tug_of_war and Front 242 Addict like this.
  4. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Phaedra and Rubycon (SACD versions preferably) Zeit as well. Later stuff hit and miss.
    Edgar Froese-Aqua and Epsilon are good too (would love to see a remaster-SACD maybe?)

tug_of_war likes this.
  5. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

This is the inexpensive way to get the music from their best years, and the mastering is great. There is slightly better and much worse mastering. So this is an easy recommendation to anyone not familiar with Tangerine Dream.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

studio: Phaedra
    live: Encore

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Stratosfear was my first TD and remains my favorite.

8. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Force Majore

Dig everything though....(Virgin years)

notesofachord and tomymontana like this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Thanks guys! That's what I thought. Okay, I should put both sets into my wishlist then.

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

No way I can chose one. Tangerine Dream have been going a long time, and have covered much ground. Early years, pink years, soundtracks, melrose..... all different things, really.

I wouldn't be able to choose.

11. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Let me add that I read (don't know if it's true or not) that some musics are edited a little shorter. I haven't compared them yet to know if this is true.

12. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

The choices here are all around. Is it possible to put a poll in this thread? It would be interesting.
    Seems that the vast type of music TD made trough the years as appeals to a lot of tastes. Or there isn't an album that clearly overshadow the others? Maybe a little of both I suppose.

13. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

1. Ricochet
    2. Tangram
    3. Logos
    4. Poland
    5. Pergammon

Special mention for Quantum Gate.

It would be hard for me to choose one of those first 5. It would depend on the day. I do have say I am really enjoying the new line up with Thorsten Quaeschning & Ulrich Schnauss and Yamane.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Really? Oh man, that would be a bummer.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

tough question for sure.

'best' is a relative term:

my 'best' may not be your 'best'.

for me: the 'thief' soundtrack is a favorite.

tug_of_war and davers like this.
  16. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

you bet, if what i read is not true this two sets are amazing value for the price and i will be all over them soon. If its true i've got to think, cause i really hate edited stuff.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

from ambientmusicguide.com :
    The 5-CD set from Virgin Records was assembled by Edgar Froese who - without the direct input of Baumann, Franke or Schmoelling - saw fit to remix, add to, or wholly re-record a majority of tracks on his own without clearly labeling them as such. Not surprisingly the results are uneven at best, and your reaction to the album will depend partly on whether you waxed ears on the originals first. Suffice to say that the empty spaces in tracks like "White Eagle" and "Exit" should have been left unfilled, while messing with the haunting textures of "Hyperborea" and some of the Sorcerer material proves to be a colossal error of judgement on Froese's part. On the other hand the shiny digital reworkings of early analogue synth classics like "Phaedra" sound so radically different to the originals that they qualify more as interesting cover versions than lousy remixes.

being true this is even worst than the edited stuff i was talking about. Can anyone confirm this?

(sorry for all the off-topic regarding the early years sets)

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What the F, they're not even the original album versions? Man, hope we get correct infos about that by some TD expert here.

19. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Front 242 Addict and andrewskyDE like this.
  20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

The part you quote is talking about a completely different box set, "Tangents" from 1994.

Tangerine Dream - Ambient Music Guide

You left out the first two sentences:
    Unforgivable in the minds of many fans, however, is the wrong-headedness that informs the popular Tangents 1973-83 (1994). It's only discussed here because of its bogus authorship, lest newcomers buy it in the belief that they're getting a genuine snapshot of the band's classic music. The 5-CD set from Virgin Records was assembled by Edgar Froese who - without the direct input of Baumann, Franke or Schmoelling - saw fit to remix, add to, or wholly re-record a majority of tracks on his own without clearly labeling them as such.....

Mbe likes this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was checking out other TD threads here and many people praise both Virgin Years CD sets highly.
    Also, I was listening to some of the band's albums on YouTube as preview recently. Sounds all good to me, think I gonna buy the CD sets soon.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  22. Sequenzer

Sequenzer Forum Resident

Poland is my favourite. Johannes was always my favourite TD member.

23. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Oh. My fault. Sorry. I read it in urry and messed things badly, mixed with the fact already reading that tracks were edited.
    But I was comparing times and seems the only edited are in fact the bonus tracks. It seems I will get this set as soon as I can since I don't owe any TD albums.

I like all the albums from the beginning to cyclone but haven't eard nothing forward. The quality keeps up with the years up to 1978?

24. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Ricochet, West Germany blue face CD.

25. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I say through the Virgin Years until the late 80's, these guys were on top when it came to their music.

In my eyes, they don't have just ONE best album. A lot of their discography have different moods to your liking.

ArpMoog and klockwerk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.