Tangerine Dream - Poland on cd question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by anduandi, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I am looking for Tangerine Dream's Poland (live) album on cd.
    I know there are several pressings out there -
    but what I want is the full unedited version with the complete program that once was available on a double vinyl album.
    Any suggests ? :cool:

Thanks !

Achim

2. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I believe the one on Relativity was the only 2CD version that replicated the vinyl.

3. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

yes, the original US release on Relativity is the way to go.

Regards

4. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys !:righton:
    :cheers:

5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yep, that is easily the best. Crushes the incomplete and harsh remaster.

6. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I have the two CD Relativity release and like it a lot although there is some hiss. However some have said the single CD Jive release from 1984 (CHIP 22, missing Tangent) has much better sound. Could it be that the Relativity used the vinyl whereas the Jive actually did a transfer from the master tapes? Again I am only guessing.

Also is the 90s Castle CD (including Tangent this time but in abridged form) remastered at all?

I have heard the 2011 remaster and agree it sounds awful. It makes me sad that most people will be introduced to this great album via this lifeless release. I am only 33 but Poland makes me very nostalgic for the age of analogue synths. One of the best electronic albums of all time.

Thank you.

7. spider-mario

spider-mario New Member

Okay, here’s something I don’t understand.

I first bought the Esoteric release of Poland. Then, I kept reading that it sounded awful, was heavily compressed, etc. For example:
    So, I bought a used copy of the 2-CD Relativity release (88561-8045-2), hoping that it would be an improvement over what I had. Sadly, I couldn’t hear a difference.

Seriously, let’s have a look:

Dynamics:

Relativity:
    Code:
    DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR14       0.00 dB   -18.16 dB     22:36 01-Poland
    DR14      -0.73 dB   -17.83 dB     19:55 02-Tangent
    DR14      -1.06 dB   -19.87 dB     18:04 03-Barbakane
    DR14       0.00 dB   -17.81 dB     21:10 04-Horizon
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks:  4
    Official DR value: DR14
    Esoteric:
    Code:
    DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR13      -0.05 dB   -16.79 dB     22:37 01-Poland
    DR13      -0.05 dB   -16.79 dB     15:53 02-Tangent
    DR13      -0.05 dB   -15.07 dB      4:02 03-Rare Bird
    DR13      -0.05 dB   -18.57 dB     18:05 04-Barbakane
    DR12      -0.05 dB   -16.28 dB     21:10 05-Horizon

Number of tracks:  5
    Official DR value: DR13
    Still respectable, is it not?

Here is the frequency spectrum of the first track (as an example) from both editions:

Relativity: [​IMG]

Esoteric:
    [​IMG]

They are so similar the Esoteric reissue must be a slightly tweaked rip of the Relativity edition.

Audacity does not show much more of a difference (sorry, I don’t have a larger screen right now):
    [​IMG]
    Top: Esoteric
    Bottom: Relativity

Really, where does all this hate towards Esoteric come from? Am I missing something obvious? Why does the Relativity edition sound good and the Esoteric reissue “awful”? Did they change their master before I bought their releases? Could someone please enlighten me? :(

8. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

The use of noise reduction basically. The remaster sounds too clean for me. It lacks the "analogue" sound that I love.

9. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Nice work. Seems like you put in quite a bit of effort.

To my ears the Esoteric sounds much less Dynamic - perhaps that is due to it's low ceiling because of unneeded noise reduction. A "cold" recording to begin with, the Esoteric is downright icy. Of course so was the venue that night. The only CD version I recommend i terms of completeness + sound quality, remains the original Relativity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.