Tape out vs Effects loop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by juno6000, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is the difference between a tape out signal and an effects loop signal? Can i run a tape out from a preamp into something like an EQ and then back in to another input? Or can i run a tape out to my headphone amp input? I was told the tape out is an unattenuated signal that wont work with my headphone amp. There is not a loop. Thanks for any help with this.

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

None. Yes. Also yes. You were told wrong; it will work.

3. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

When tape decks started to fade from use some preamps had an "extrernal processor loop" which was a left/right fixed output together with an left/right input for connecting devices such a noise reduction units (such as the Burwen Research DNF1201A), equalizers, or dynamic range enhancers (dbx, etc.).

Your statement that a tape out won't work with a headphone amp is wrong. The majority of headphone amps have a built in volume control so that you'll want to connect it to a fixed (as opposed to variable) output from your preamp. If you didn't use the fixed output into your headphone amp and used a preamp out instead then your signal would be passing through two volume controls.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.