Tape Recorder Question For Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ArneW, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi Steve,

the back cover of Art Pepper's "Intensity" tells us that the master tape was played back on a vintage Ampex 350, the same machine the album had been recorded with. Interestingly, I found this CD to be one of the least "tube-sounding" DCC Gold CDs I own. So probably it was not at all that warm what they were hearing in the sound engineer's booth back in 1960? I really love this album - almost no hiss and very dry. Now my question: Have all DCC CDs from the Contemporary vault been played back with this machine eve since? AFAIK, there is no mention of the playback equipment on any other DCC CD (at least not on the ones I own).

Best, Arne

2. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member Thread Starter

BTW, is this Ampex 350 highly modified (new power supply, new capacitors, matched tubes, wiring asf.) or is it an original machine in pristine condition?

Arne

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's not the exact same machine, it's a 1959 351-2-Portable, unmodded. They used a 350-2-Portable (not as good IMO).

You can see a bit of it in this picture (and please ignore the "center of interest"):

http://www.symposiumusa.com/MonRoom5.html

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Is it any surprise Steve has wooden Ludwig drums?? I thought Steve was a guitar player.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.