"Tapestry for Dummies Thread": What is your favourite version of TAPESTRY?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinylsoul 1965, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Yes, those original Monarch pressings can sound really good, even definitive sometimes.

If I understand correctly, you're saying you don't like the Ode/Epic later pressing. If so, I agree. Although there are a number of older posts on this forum praising its sound quality, the copies I've heard were rather dull sounding. Never found one that could compete with an original Grundman mastering, or the ORG, Classic Records, MoFi reissues.

2. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Yes, the Ode/Epic is not in the same league as the MR, it lacks detail and 'the breath of life' to my ears.

TLMusic likes this.
  3. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Sony Legacy 2cd version

4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

The Classic Records vinyl sounds good to me but I still have to find a nice copy of Original Ode/A&M vinyl for comparison.

5. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member Thread Starter

Can a Gort please change the title of this to "Carole King: Tapestry"? Can't believe I missed this oh so many months ago!

SO really there is no consensus on this one. I thought there would be, but there is equal love for different versions :)

6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

That wasn't one of the choices.

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'll listen to it anyway I can except the original vinyl which sucks:D:cheers:

8. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member Thread Starter

Interesting you picked up on that :)

9. telliott

telliott Senior Member

The only version I have in digital form is the 2 CD "A Natural Woman: The Ode Collection 1968-1976" which contains the whole album. It sounds pretty good to me.

SKean and Vinylsoul 1965 like this.
  10. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The MoFi is outstanding.

11. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Yes sir. The MoFi is indeed outstanding. Must own, if you love this fantastic record.

Sondek and ssmith3046 like this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'll take the MFSL record too.

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It is excellent :cheers:

telliott likes this.
  14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I like the 5.1 sacd. The original quad 8-track was terrible and as it's an album I treasure, I felt ripped off by just adding echo to the rear speakers. I got an early 80's vinyl that sounded better than my original.

15. kazzard

kazzard Forum Resident

I have the MoFi vinyl and it is very, very good indeedy.

Sondek likes this.
  16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

If he cared enough to read the thread, he at least has my recommendation on the MFSL SACD. :agree:

17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I think that'd be the 'So Far Away' track.

18. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

That's it. I was just listening to it last night.

Sondek likes this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have the SACD and the 33rpm and 45 rpm Classic Records pressings. They all sound great to me, and I haven't really compared them. The Classic Records 45 rpm is four single sided discs.

20. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

The MOFI SACD is best I have ever heard it. Quite nice to listen to and getting VERY hard to find!

21. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I have owned this album in several incarnations. The original A&M/Ode vinyl had music that sounded ok, but the version I had was a well-worn hand me down, so the vinyl was very noisy from scratches, dirt and fingerprints. The CBS/Ode vinyl that I bought as a replacement sounded quieter because it was new, but the music sounded inferior due to fuzziness and distortion. This album sold in the zillions, so who knows how worn out the mother stamper was? That version was my go-to until I bought the album as first released on CD in the late 80's. Again, the whole experience was quieter and more noise-free, but the recording was still distorted and fuzzy in spots. I got the remastered CD version a little later and it was a bit of an improvement, but not much. Then, I got the 2-disc ORG 45 rpm. I think I'm done buying this album, as the ORG sounds warm, clear and natural, the best version I've heard. I saw the MOFI vinyl the other day for $20 and almost pulled the trigger, but resisted.

If I recall correctly, my older brother had an 8-track of Tapestry that sounded pretty good until the deck in the boat ate it.

P.S. That cat has to be the most famous cat in all of singer-songwriter pop history.

skisdlimit likes this.
  22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

23. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Without a doubt!

25. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I have the ORG 45 and the Classic 45. The latter is more natural but the difference is very small.

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.