Taping Project: "Possibles" 1964, Please Vote! Mono v. Stereo (14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Actually the original Mule Skinner Blues was done by Jimmie "The Singing Brakeman" Rogers but that's from the Victrola era, but great music though.

2. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Mike - I picked up the 'Cuca Records Rock 'N' Roll Story' CD at the Austin Record Convention a couple of years ago and have not listened to it in awhile ... As I recall, it's early '60s R 'N' R with several instros (including the "original" 'Mule Skinner Blues') ... some better than others, but worth the $8 or $9 I paid for it ... if it had been $20, I probably would have skipped it ... Sorry, no Pollllkkkaaa music.:)

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

$8 or $9 - woof, I'd have snapped it up in a second! I love that small label stuff, and if you've never heard it before it's not an oldie...

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

ascot,

Thanks for posting a scan of the label. I Fought The Law must have been written by Sonny Curtis. This look at a regional/local hit has been fun!

Bob:)

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I Fought The Law was written by Sonny Curtis

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Bob,
    I've felt badly that I don't have much to contribute to your taping threads (not that I let ignorance stop me usually!).
    Here's a good Canadian song - Four Strong Winds by Ian and Sylvia which sounds great in stereo on the Ian & Sylvia "Best of the Vanguard Years". I find that song particularly evocative of the early sixties. It might possibly have come out in '63 but the album came out in '64 (according to AMG).
    John

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

John,

No problem! I have realized that as I move through the years with my threads on the project that the contributors would change and evolve, naturally.

Thanks for the tip on Ian and Sylvia. I will check it out!

Jump in anytime that you like!

Bob :)

8. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Bob,
    Four Strong Winds is from 1963 (belongs on a different thread),

It is a highly influential modern folk song having been covered by zillions including Neil Young, Bob Dylan, the Searchers, Chad & Jeremy and Judy Collins. I believe it's worthy! Slim pickins from Canada in those days if you're looking for U.S. impact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.